Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 07:07 AM

876 posts, read 1,002,145 times

Advertisements

I was reading this: Top 7 Fake Natural Bodybuilders On YouTube | NattyOrNot.com

Wow, so you can't get the body of even number 5 without drugs?

I mean I already knew that lots of people were entering the gym with REALLY unrealistic expectations and that lots (most?) of models and pro-bodybuilders use drugs, but I was still kinda shocked to see that these guys are fake. If this article is correct then society has majorly distorted ideas of what a natural bodybuilder can look like. If those dudes are fake then what does a high-end natural bodybuilder actually look like?

And how did such unrealistic expectations develop in the first place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2016, 07:13 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,011,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkarin View Post

I mean I already knew that lots of people were entering the gym with REALLY unrealistic expectations and that lots (most?) of models and pro-bodybuilders use drugs, but I was still kinda shocked to see that these guys are fake. If this article is correct then society has majorly distorted ideas of what a natural bodybuilder can look like. If those dudes are fake then what does a high-end natural bodybuilder actually look like?

By guys like you being too impressionable.

Old 03-17-2016, 07:45 AM

7,186 posts, read 9,240,253 times
The article referred to presents no evidence that any of the characters are using steroids or other "unnatural" techniques. Instead it is saying these guys are too big, too shredded, too anything to be "natural". Maybe some of the links in the article presents something different. I'm not saying they aren't "fake". I'm saying the article is pure conjecture.

My advice is to ignore articles like this. Find an exercise & diet program that works for you. Evaluate it, tweak it periodically. You may never look like those pics. So what? Be the best you can be.

Old 03-17-2016, 07:46 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,354,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkarin View Post

I have natty bodybuilder friends who have been lifting for several years or more that's nowhere close to the guys you see today on drugs.

People who say it is achievable without drugs have no idea.

Old 03-17-2016, 07:53 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,475,339 times
I don't have such an expectation to look like a steroid freak. I want good muscle tone and a flat stomach. Oh, and energy to play pick up sports.

Old 03-17-2016, 08:26 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,742,156 times
Why do people use peds?

They work!!!

Old 03-17-2016, 08:41 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,078,885 times
1, 4 and 5 should be attainable for most without the use of anabolics, but it will take time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
Why do people use peds?

They work!!!
Yep. Even moderate doses of testosterone will pack on tons of muscle without even touching a barbell.

Old 03-17-2016, 09:53 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,742,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
1, 4 and 5 should be attainable for most without the use of anabolics, but it will take time.

Yep. Even moderate doses of testosterone will pack on tons of muscle without even touching a barbell.
It's funny. The last sport I competed in, weight was important. Cutting weight for someone like me is not a challenge with my metabolism. Getting 3800-4200 quality calories a day to maintain was. I entertained the idea. I just didn't want to cycle and hgh was more difficult to get on the black market. So I stayed natural.

I'm a pretty strong cat for size but I could tell who was juicing and who wasn't. My caution to those that do: cycle right, cycle right, cycle right. Certain peds can be murder on the ligs and cartilage.

Old 03-17-2016, 10:21 AM

876 posts, read 1,002,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post
The article referred to presents no evidence that any of the characters are using steroids or other "unnatural" techniques. Instead it is saying these guys are too big, too shredded, too anything to be "natural". Maybe some of the links in the article presents something different. I'm not saying they aren't "fake". I'm saying the article is pure conjecture.
While not present in this exact article natty.com does has have a believable way of deciding if a bodybuilder is natty or not. Basically they compare the stats of a bodybuilder with another bodybuilder who was known to use drugs to see if the are familiar, in addition to doing a bunch of other things. If they find enough funny stuff they conclude that the person in question isn't a natty. Here is such an article for example:

Is Chris Jones From Physiques Of Greatness On Steroids? | NattyOrNot.com

I would also add that even when someone is obviously using drugs you can't really ever "prove" it per say. Even drug tests can be fooled. So all you can really use is what you see and your common sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
I don't have such an expectation to look like a steroid freak. I want good muscle tone and a flat stomach.
Yes, but it appears that having even that might not be possible for lots of people without the use of drugs. Number 5 doesn't even have that much muscle like I already pointed out. Don't get me wrong, it's perfectly possible to look great without drugs, but it appears that even without the intention of getting lots of muscle people like the ones in the article cannot exist naturally.

Old 03-17-2016, 12:57 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,778,062 times
The unrealistic expectations arose when Joe Weider took over bodybuilding. And, pretty much, he really did just take over. He dominated publishing and competitions, etc.

One of the ways he made money (and a way many of the "powers" of the Bodybuilding World - most of them affiliated with organized crime - make money) was to sell "supplements". Supposedly, you could take the supplements, and these would help you "put on muscle".

The BB magazines, and the books, told us that with enough hard work, and by taking "supplements", you could pack on the muscle, and do just as well as the guys on steroids. 'Roids' were, supposedly, totally unnecessary.

Selling supplements is about like selling "miracle skin rejuvenators" - or Snake Oil. Those products won't do diddly for you. But they are high-profit products for those who sell them. And the best way to sell them was to show all these beautiful men on steroids, who SUPPOSEDLY got that way by taking "supplements", and doing the right exercises.

In reality, the beautiful men were taking steroids and Human Growth Hormone. And they were doing cocaine, in order to starve themselves down for competitions (along with life-threatening amounts of diuretics, in the hours before walking onstage).

But Weider and the others were not manufacturers of 'roids or HGH. So, those were not what they had to sell. Thus, they attributed the astonishing beauty of men like Mike Mentzer (https://www.bodybuilding-motivation....7_05-18-25.jpg) to "supplements" and "special workout programs", because that's what they COULD sell.

Basically, the insiders were doing one thing, while the Schnooks were being sold other things.

There are a few people who are naturally muscular. And there are a few men who have naturally high testosterone (generally, because they have huge 'nads). I'm married to one of the latter.

We met in Weightlifting 101. He was scrawny and hideous. He was 17, and a virgin. Neither of us expected to ever go out on a date. We accidentally found ourselves 'on a date', where we immediately took care of our virginities, and continued to carry on like wolverines, MANY times a day (sex is a HUGE testosterone-booster). We also lifted weights, studied nutrition (the REAL kind - based on real science), and took vitamins. My husband went into a late-onset growth spurt, and did gain a lot of muscle. He does about 75 minutes of lifting, and an hour of cardio, between five and seven days per week. He's 51, and still ripples with muscle.

But my husband does not look like Branch Warren. I'm not going to speculate on what it takes to look like Warren.

The hottest guys in your high school probably were on steroids. There is a network set up in every community, to get 'roids to the current crop of fuhbawl heroes. Occasionally, there is a bust. Usually, there isn't. It's been that way since the 70s - maybe even the late 60s.

'Roids were being used in Nazi Germany. A certain famous Austrian import, whose father was a Nazi, and who married the granddaughter of a rich American Nazi supporter, was using 'roids as a physique champion, back in his 'Vaterland', while still in high school. When he got to these shores, he was very nice to certain wealthy American men, who paid for the chemicals which made him even bigger.

On the other hand, I know somebody who hooked up with "The most enormous and powerful specimen I've ever seen." - a trucker, who barely exercised, and who had done nothing beyond being born Polish. This is a wealthy Mississippian who's 'dated' his way through the Colt Calendar and the Fox Calendar, as well as being a (natural) bodybuilder, himself. So, he's hard to impress. Same friend hooked-up with "the second biggest bodybuilder in Omaha", another 'roids-free marvel, who was also pure Polish. This one DID lift consistently.

But, in general, the biggest guys are 'on the juice'. I've overheard a pusher trying to sell my Personal Trainer on gonadotropins: "Man... dey wuz lak littuh grapes. Now, man, I looks lak uh Brahah Bull." (The spiel may have NOTHING to do with reality, and the offered 'gonadotropin' may be no more than saline solution.) That was seven years ago. I learned, later, that that particular Trainer had gotten hooked on METH, while using it to "get ripped" for a contest. I do not book sessions with him, anymore, when I'm in that city.

Most recently, Little Gloria overheard a phenomenally muscular & packin' male stripper, talking to a wunderkind homebuilder (who's about to be indicted on a whole host of fraud charges, and who's looking to replace one billionaire mentor/sugardaddy with a new one). The homebuilder is gorgeous. But he needs to get extra-gorgeous, if he's to find a new billionaire "mentor" (a good billionaire is hard to find). So, he was schmoozing the stripper, for "exercise tips" (a 'roids source he can trust). They talked 'chemicals' while I did three abs supersets (ten minutes), and were still talking 'chemicals', when I wandered off, to give myself a back massage on a big blue ball (good as a live masseur, IMHO). I hear a lot, being little, brown, female, and thus invisible.

There are drugs to counteract the 'nads shrinkage. There are drugs to counteract the 'gyno' your pecs will get from 'roids. The big guys are walking science experiments, and, like Mentzer, they tend to die young.

But smart people have realized that there is a great deal to gain from a fitness lifestyle. If you eat right, get enough rest, lift enough - with good technique, and avoid harmful substances, then you will definitely look vastly better than you would have, otherwise. You will be healthier, and you will be smarter.

You just won't look like Branch Warren.

To see what is actually possible without 'roids and HGH, take a look at Pre-WWII photos of muscle men.

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 03-17-2016 at 01:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness