Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 06:09 AM

857 posts, read 844,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
I've always wanted to try climbing rope. How hard is it for someone who's close to 200lbs? Is much like chin ups and pull ups? Those that excel at it are usually those who weigh 160lbs or less?
It's not necessarily hard, especially if you are using the proper technique (using legs that is). Free handing it is pretty dang tough. Suppose all depends on upper body strength, etc. It definitely kicks my butt from time to time (I am 210), but maybe because I do not necessarily climb the rope a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 12:31 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
It is funny how when we were kids we could hang and swing from the playground equipment like the monkey bars all day long then go back to it the next day.
Climbing ropes and monkey bars was a fun way to stay in shape without realizing it.
Of course today I'm not kid and past the age where I could have a chiseled this or that so I prefer to do exercises that compliment several body groups at once and I thought a climbing rope might be fun.
This is SO true! I climbed trees, poles, vines, whatever seemed possible! My upper body strength is really bad. I can knock out 50 sit ups in a minute (maybe a little more than a minute) but don't expect me to so a pull-up!

When I was in Marine NCO school (female) they wanted us to climb a rope. The women couldn't do it - well, one could, she trained with men constantly. Anyway when we got to the rope we had to grab it, jump up and hold on and slowly lower ourselves down. Eventually we climbed.

I think you should do it! Just be sure your deck can handle it!

Old 04-30-2016, 11:20 AM

710 posts, read 3,391,880 times
Rope climbing is good exercise. But it is not easy. If you want to climb a rope using hands only, you need to be getting a good 20 dead hang pullups. Most people on the street can't do 5 pullups, thanks to weak muscles and being 20%+ overweight.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:47 AM

6,459 posts, read 7,795,049 times
Great complimentary exercise. I bet you can find some nice options at home depot. They have tons of different ropes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness