Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 12:51 PM

421 posts, read 423,648 times

Advertisements

Anyone here who does only free weight?
Free weight exercise e.g. squats.. deadlift..bench press.. etc.
are far more effective than machine work out??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 01:02 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,841,048 times
YES only free weights, YES more effective.

I did machine only for six months because I had not done any weights in decades. Machines are easy as the instructions are usually on the machines and free weights require technique.

Switched to free weights and effect is more pronounced.

You do not have a plan do you?

Last edited by Felix C; 04-20-2016 at 01:31 PM..

Old 04-20-2016, 02:26 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,847,793 times
Machines can be pretty rough on your joints even when they're set up correctly. They also don't do much for your stabilizer muscles (these are the muscles that make you feel strong).

So yes, 100% recommendation for free weights from me.

Old 04-20-2016, 02:47 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,471,110 times
Much rather do free weights as well! I can't get the same "cut" look with my arms using the Nautilus machines.

Old 04-20-2016, 06:15 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,234,127 times
I found that quite a few machines don't accommodate those of us who are under 5 feet, so I had to get over the initial intimidation of venturing into the "boy's section" of the gym to use the free weights. Since then, I don't even bother with the machines, and only ever use free weights.

Old 04-20-2016, 08:02 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
YES only free weights, YES more effective.

I did machine only for six months because I had not done any weights in decades. Machines are easy as the instructions are usually on the machines and free weights require technique.

Switched to free weights and effect is more pronounced.

You do not have a plan do you?
I would generally agree that free weights are a better choice, though there are exceptions to that (ie, high rep/low weight metabolic work, people who are new to exercising).

Old 04-21-2016, 05:29 AM

9,404 posts, read 8,369,560 times
Free weights for about 90% of my strength training. For the other 10% I will do machine leg extensions, hamstring curls, and will use a shoulder press machine to go heavy on shoulder presses (once had a very awful experience tearing my shoulder apart using free weights and going way too heavy).

Nothing wrong with most machines; however, as has been said, free weights should really be your main focus.

Old 04-21-2016, 08:49 AM

421 posts, read 423,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Free weights for about 90% of my strength training. For the other 10% I will do machine leg extensions, hamstring curls, and will use a shoulder press machine to go heavy on shoulder presses (once had a very awful experience tearing my shoulder apart using free weights and going way too heavy).

Nothing wrong with most machines; however, as has been said, free weights should really be your main focus.
Thanks all above
I am only concerning any injury by doing free weight....e.g. low back...

Old 04-21-2016, 09:02 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,822,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldensky View Post
Thanks all above
I am only concerning any injury by doing free weight....e.g. low back...
This is exactly why you should use free weights and body resistance exercises. You need to engage your whole body instead of isolating one part. If you have issues with your lower back work on core exercises to strengthen that area. You should concentrate on doing planks, and work on balance. A Bosu ball is great for that.

Old 04-21-2016, 10:46 AM

4,566 posts, read 5,421,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldensky View Post
Anyone here who does only free weight?
Free weight exercise e.g. squats.. deadlift..bench press.. etc.
are far more effective than machine work out??
Yes, free weights are far more effective than machines because they also activate stabilizer muscles.

If there were no free weights around, and I wanted to target specific muscles, then the absolute next best thing are the Hammer Strength ISO plate loaded machines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness