Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 02:29 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,170,972 times

Advertisements

I usually warm up at home before I go to the gym...then stretch at home later too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2016, 04:22 PM

2,867 posts, read 1,545,328 times
If I don't warm up first, my joints and muscles just won't go! What a drag it is getting old.

I have to do a lot of stretching afterward, too. I have issues with the piriformis muscle on the left side, and if I don't stretch it out, and stretch it right, or long enough, my sciatica flares up. Fortunately, I like the way stretching feels, especially that moment when the muscles just release. Ahhhh!

Old 07-03-2016, 04:26 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,443,360 times
Stretching before exercise does not reduce the risk of local muscle injury: a critical review of the clinical and basic science literature. - PubMed - NCBI

I personally don't stretch till I'm warm. But that's bc it feels better.

I also DO prefer getting my heart rate up and some sweat going BEFORE I lift bc it makes me feel stronger.

Old 07-03-2016, 04:51 PM

1,099 posts, read 903,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Stretching before exercise does not reduce the risk of local muscle injury: a critical review of the clinical and basic science literature. - PubMed - NCBI

I personally don't stretch till I'm warm. But that's bc it feels better.

I also DO prefer getting my heart rate up and some sweat going BEFORE I lift bc it makes me feel stronger.
Define stretching as quoted in your article

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18027995

"the research included here conveys that certain techniques and protocols have shown a positive outcome on deterring injuries. As a result, a warm-up and stretching protocol should be implemented prior to physical activity."

And just curious, if you are contending that no warm up is necessary, then it would lead one to conclude that a person could stay in a freezer for 20 minutes and then go out and perform the same as someone that does some preparation before exercise...would it not. Is that what you are suggesting?

Old 07-03-2016, 05:22 PM

674 posts, read 610,364 times
OP - You seem to be putting a lot of faith in studies. Some are good, some are ok, some are bad. The trick is separating the wheat from the chaff. May I ask if you have had education or training on how to critically appraise studies? If not, then we can defer this discussion until you do. (FYI - I do have that training).

Old 07-03-2016, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nccoast View Post
OP - You seem to be putting a lot of faith in studies. Some are good, some are ok, some are bad. The trick is separating the wheat from the chaff. May I ask if you have had education or training on how to critically appraise studies? If not, then we can defer this discussion until you do. (FYI - I do have that training).
And you seem to have a reading comprehension issue. I would think a Physical Therapist would be more detailed oriented. Most I know are. Hard to imagine you have any type of training on it, since you can't seem to digest basic English. Nice dodge and deflect on my previous comment.

Last edited by bodyforlife99; 07-03-2016 at 06:45 PM..

Old 07-03-2016, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyforlife99 View Post
There are thousands. Please go away and stop trolling. I really don't have time for nonsense.

https://www.nsca.com/uploadedFiles/N...d_recovery.pdf
I am not sure we are connecting. You say there are "thousands" of studies/articles about the subject (your post quoted above). My contention is that there are good/so-so/bad studies, and it takes a lot of work and time to go through them critically. And most likely one will find studies that contradict one another, as with most things in the medical field.

I am still not clear about the point you want to make in our little exchange.

Old 07-03-2016, 07:55 PM

Obviously you're not, because you clearly never read the original post. I guess you're too caught up in your "Holier than Thou" Ad Hominem.

Old 07-03-2016, 08:36 PM

Your original post:
Quote:
(..) I am constantly bewildered when I walk into the two gyms I work at and see so many muscle bound people that just walk in and can't wait to go into a routine, doing no warm up at all for their bodies (i.e. foam rolling, active stretches).
Then you cite "thousands" of studies/articles/pieces of evidence to support your viewpoint for warm-ups:
Quote:
There are thousands. Please go away and stop trolling. I really don't have time for nonsense.

https://www.nsca.com/uploadedFiles/N...d_recovery.pdf
To this, I replied that the quality of studies can run the gamut from poor to excellent, and that it takes a lot of time to appraise them critically.

I am really puzzled at your saying that I have a "comprehension issue". Please enlighten me.

Old 07-03-2016, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nccoast View Post
Your original post:

Then you cite "thousands" of studies/articles/pieces of evidence to support your viewpoint for warm-ups:

To this, I replied that the quality of studies can run the gamut from poor to excellent, and that it takes a lot of time to appraise them critically.

I am really puzzled at your saying that I have a "comprehension issue". Please enlighten me.
In its entirety please...no selective editing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness