Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 12:01 PM

2,007 posts, read 1,275,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsvibe View Post
Genetics is the biggest factor. It is the reason that you can watch the Discovery Channel and see a young indigenous man absolutely ripped, who hasn't lifted weights once in his entire life. The whole "fitness" industry is about profit, plain and simple.
Take any kid, put that young person in the same environment as the indigenous man you mention. With the same amount of manual work and effort the physique will be cut too. Factor in a diet of non processed food, no soda and fast foods, just simple food such as fresh fruit and meats with less carbs and that same individual will take on a ripped sinewy appearance.

The emphasis is on tight functional muscle and low body fat. Basically what a personal trainer will advise a client to do in some shape or form to get the washboard abs and cut look. Important to note that genetics plays a role in body proportion and symmetry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2016, 12:31 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,055,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkarin View Post
I care only in the sense that I am sick if constantly listening to people bombard me with proud claims of how in 2 years time they are going to look like the next "insert whatever fitness icon" because they are too dumb to understand they are being lied to, while at the same time attacking anyone trying to break them away from their delusion.

I don't know why, but I just have this compulsive need to call out bull**** for what it is. I have also made many threads at the political and economic forum where I have torn popular myths into pieces simply for the sake of it. Feel free to call me a know it all if you want to, but this is just a personality trait that I have. I attack bull****. Have you seen this show called Penn and Teller bull****? My motivations are largely the same. Expose bull****.
If 'people' are 'constantly bombard(ing)' you with this you seriously need new friends and acquaintances.

And LOL on the rest. Your reach exceeds your grasp.

Old 07-22-2016, 05:20 PM

197 posts, read 261,263 times
Genetics, drugs, diet, training in that order.......

You will NEVER EVER look like Ronnie Coleman without drugs yes. But even people on drugs will never ever look like Ronnie Coleman without genetics. Genetics play an even bigger role than drugs because most of the genetically gifted (1-2% of the population) respond differently (much better) to drugs etc.

Anyone who is anybody in the fitness industry.....anyone who has ever glossed the cover of a major fitness/bodybuilding mag.....has used drugs (steroids, GH, fat loss compounds, etc). It's really not that big of a deal. It's the lying and deceit that is so appalling. You've got people that have achieved what they have with drugs (and yes hardwork but still drugs) telling you it was some protein powder, or legal supplement, or hot new training methodology. BS!!!!!!!!!!!! Hardwork yes, genetics yes, but drugs always!

Old 07-22-2016, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco View Post
Take any kid, put that young person in the same environment as the indigenous man you mention. With the same amount of manual work and effort the physique will be cut too. Factor in a diet of non processed food, no soda and fast foods, just simple food such as fresh fruit and meats with less carbs and that same individual will take on a ripped sinewy appearance.

The emphasis is on tight functional muscle and low body fat. Basically what a personal trainer will advise a client to do in some shape or form to get the washboard abs and cut look. Important to note that genetics plays a role in body proportion and symmetry.
A good plastic surgeon as well

If you knew how many actors and actresses have had their abs sucked...........especially male fitness models!

Old 07-22-2016, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Yep. Mother nature plays a big part, probably the biggest. Second would be diet.
Actually diet plays very little role when it comes to the upper echelons of IFBB bodybuilders. Do they eat a lot? Yes......but the only reason they can process and assimilate so much food is because of the drugs, especially protein otherwise it would just get pissed out. The reason they respond so well to the drugs is because of genetics.

Genetics, drugs, diet, training in that order. Most of these guys could curl the remote control for their tv and still maintain a massive amount of muscle just from their genetics, drugs, and copious consumption of food/protein.

Old 07-23-2016, 05:37 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times
The OP is a noob that has been lifting for less than six months and clearly hasn't learned much about the science of it, so why is anyone even entertaining his musings on the matter?

Old 07-25-2016, 06:20 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
If 'people' are 'constantly bombard(ing)' you with this you seriously need new friends and acquaintances.

And LOL on the rest. Your reach exceeds your grasp.

Couldn't rep you again, yet.

Old 07-26-2016, 11:51 AM

876 posts, read 1,001,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
The OP is a noob that has been lifting for less than six months and clearly hasn't learned much about the science of it, so why is anyone even entertaining his musings on the matter?

The lenght at which people have been working out has little to do with how smart they are. There are guys who spend years at the gym and get no results whatsoever. And even the ones who do are often full of bro-science. And don't even get me started on the fat powerlifters who think they are hot**** because they can deadlift some X amount of weight even though they look like total crap.

Old 07-27-2016, 06:57 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkarin View Post
...And don't even get me started on the fat powerlifters who think they are hot**** because they can deadlift some X amount of weight even though they look like total crap.

Eddie Hall cares a lot more about his world record 500KG deadlift than he does his body fat percentage.

This is simply another example of you denigrating anyone else's goals that don't align with yours. It comes across as horribly myopic and immature.

I personally have no desire or interest in bodybuilding, but I understand people who do. Not my thing, but if it trips their trigger, more power to them.

See how that works?

Old 07-27-2016, 07:20 AM

50,294 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Some people juice and then find out afterwards, once they quit, they have quite a bit of shrinkage! There is that whole genetic thing again.

Then some even later go back to them and damage themselves into a short life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness