Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 09:32 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,352,934 times

Advertisements

i need to be able to lift people at my work. i do ask for help for several situations (when they're 200# pounds and/or can hardly lift their butt even a quarter of an inch), but i need to be able to do some of the lifting without hurting my back. i'd like to do exercises/strength training that would target a lot of that lifting directly and efficiently. suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2016, 11:04 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,472,767 times
I would do squats and look at functional body weight exercises

Body By Fish* |** Bodyweight Conditioning Site

Old 07-27-2016, 01:57 AM

5,816 posts, read 15,908,183 times
Good suggestions by Teckeeee. I would also highly recommend deadlifts.

Old 07-27-2016, 05:02 AM

480 posts, read 622,995 times
The major lifts are great, deads, squats etc. But you need to focus on core strength #1. Lifting another person is very ackward at best. You often can't use your leg power and have to bend at the hips causing you to lift more with your core and lower back. So focus on lower back and abdominal area.

Old 07-27-2016, 08:49 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Not sure what your situation is exactly, but if you're lifting the person's entire weight then I believe you should ask for help in all situations- unless the person is very small.

Lifting someone else is a strain for just about anyone, even when in good physical condition.

You've received some excellent suggestions for exercises that should be pursued.

Have you been trained in proper techniques for lifting? Hopefully so.

To lift a sitting individual we were instructed to work with a buddy, each responsible for one side of the body.

Old 07-27-2016, 09:16 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,055,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
i need to be able to lift people at my work. i do ask for help for several situations (when they're 200# pounds and/or can hardly lift their butt even a quarter of an inch), but i need to be able to do some of the lifting without hurting my back. i'd like to do exercises/strength training that would target a lot of that lifting directly and efficiently. suggestions?
If you simply want to increase strength, you'd be hard pressed to beat a 5x5 style training setup like Starting Strength. Be forewarned though, I would not adopt Rippetoe's form on the squat or his nutritional advice.

Old 07-27-2016, 11:39 AM

19,014 posts, read 27,562,983 times
Depends HOW you have to lift them. Are you grabbing their trunk? Arms? Transfer belt? Are you in the front or behind them? There are many ways to assist with lifting/standing a person.
I sort of safely presume you work somewhere in health care and have to do this.
Hence what you need is very good core and trunk strength. Combined with strong grip, and upper shoulders for anterior pull or biceps for posterior and transfer belt pull. You need very good foot control which is mostly foot plantaflexion, what is done by your calf muscles. Knee control is accomplished by quadriceps.
Hence, here is your list of muscles:
1. ones in your forearm that control grip force and wrsit strength
2. biceps/triceps combo
3. deltoids
4. upper trapezius and rhomboids
5. all of paraspinals
6. entire core
7. quadriceps
8. triceps surae, aka gastrocnemius complex

For fast and safe results you want heavy weights approach, utilizing exercise that incorporates as many of the above mentioned in one exercise, continuously increasing weight load. Pyramids. Start with core. Considering amount of musculature to be involved, you may end in splits. Sets of 3 to progressively 5 pyramids for a large muscle group.

Old 07-27-2016, 01:47 PM

8,301 posts, read 13,434,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
I am guessing you are some sort of a nurse or caregiver. The reason I mentioned this is to know if you need to be cautious of anything when lifting the people in order not to hurt them, etc. because lifting a heavy luggage would be quite different than lifting a person who is paralyzed waist down or something like that. That type of lifting can certainly be more challenging.

Lighting heavy weight have and will always be mostly mental and to a lesser degree, physical.
Focusing on and mentally preparing yourself will help you lift and move things that may seem hard or even impossible. When you go into it with a "Oh man, this is/looks heavy! I can't lift it" or "I will probably hurt myself trying to lift!" then you probably will fail. Will power is 90%, muscle power is 10%.

When you are mentally ready, then you will need to prep your body. Make sure to warm up your muscles and do some stretching before work.

Locking down your core by tightening abs, pecs, lower back muscles and even gluts is often a must for lifting very heavy weights. You can also inhale deep (preferably through mouth) to further lock the core down by filling the lungs and expanding rib cage for deadlift type lifts can be immensely helpful. You should also use your body (hips, legs, chest) as a leverage when you are lifting a person but make sure never to round your back! If you need to lift something closer to the ground, squat using your legs and also lifting with your legs.

From a physical angle, form is everything; where/how your body is positioned and how you hold & lift the object. You have to mind your surroundings and the environment. Make sure nothing will obstruct you or the person you are lifting (goes back to where/how your body is positioned).

Old 07-27-2016, 06:42 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,352,934 times
thank you all! i'd surely check out all the tips. at least i know where to start now.

Old 07-28-2016, 12:23 AM

11,120 posts, read 5,583,894 times
The best workout for this, would be to lift a lot of people, starting with smaller ones and working your way up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness