Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 12:04 PM

487 posts, read 536,988 times

Advertisements

Nep, how would you describe your body composition currently? At 5'6 and 115lbs I would expect you to be very lean with minimal muscle mass. With select-a-weight dumbbells, kettle bells and a decent program you can certainly make admirable progress in your living room. The exercise is only one piece to the puzzle. Diet, hydration and rest are just as important, if not more, than exercise alone. I'm not a professional by any means but have spent a fair share of years working out, and willing to show you some pointers on a weekend if you so wish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2016, 05:03 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Like I said, I'm not trying to become some big muscle guy or anything. I just want to have nice definition, tone and shape. In fact, I don't even find overly muscular men to be that attractive, so I would not want to look like them.

I mean I'm only 115 lbs (5'6 height and 28w). Small frame. So I can't imagine I would need serious/huge equipment just to get in decent shape, right?

With that said, I suppose I'll go for the kettlebells! Although, is there anything else that might be more valuable to fit in a space that's 20" x 20" than kettlebells? Or is kettlebells the best option for that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I'm the same as you - I find burly men to be unattractive. I'm 5'11, 161 pounds, waist is 31" or thereabouts. Pretty much all my weight training is using dumbbells and body weight .
What makes the two of year think that your body size has anything to do with the type of equipment that is best fir exercising?

A bench press, squat, deadlift are the same exercise whether you're 300 lbs or 100 lbs. They are also the same whether you're male or female. The whole idea is to push yourself to the limit of your strength for a limited number of repetitions. Too many people are looking for gimmicks and/or excuses.

Old 08-29-2016, 05:54 AM

1,142 posts, read 1,143,215 times
With DBs and floor mats, you can do:
1. Chest: Floor press
2. Shoulder: DB press, lateral fly, rear delt fly
3. Quads: Squats with DBs to side or on your shoulders in front squat position
4. Hams: Straight leg deadlifts, Romanian deadlifts
5. Back: DB row. The torso angle with the floor will determine if you hit the lats more or the middle back.
6. Lots of biceps/ triceps/ forearms exercises.
7. Single leg calf raises holding DBs

Old 08-29-2016, 03:57 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,216,960 times
I'm a woman. I do all my working out at home with HIIT videos (have been for 4 years), a mat, three sets of dumbbells and a slam ball (coated medicine ball). Best shape of my life. Toned all over, ripped stomach. I hate the gym -- kept trying it over and over again for decades thinking I'd get hooked at some point but no. I spend no money on a gym or workout clothes and waste no time getting to and from before/after my workout. Also, when I travel, I don't need a gym or machines... just do my workout in my hotel room and move on w/ my day.

Old 08-29-2016, 06:43 PM

1,440 posts, read 1,239,803 times
Nep, get resistance bands, as well. You can do a whole lot with those, a mat, and dumb bells. Additionally, if you have room under your bed, you could get a workout bar and plates to do some lunges and deadlifts and store it under there (I do that--although you can do those exercises with dumb bells. Yoga and Pilates videos via youtube are also great.

Additionally, I know you hate the gym, etc, but have you ever tried/thought of spin classes, for cardio? Like Soul Cycle or something? They are in the dark, so you don't need to worry about other people watching you, etc and the classes go by VERY quickly. Additionally, I know A LOT of gay guys that do it, so you could meet someone.

Old 08-31-2016, 03:53 PM

708 posts, read 823,804 times
What is the maximum amount of money you are willing to spend? You could get an Isokinator that fits in your pocket. It has a 20 year guarantee and is made from steel, metals and gold but it is expensive. I find the Classic edition a bit too easy so use a different version.

However, with decent nutrition and 3x a week (20 min or so workout), you will definitely build mass and strength. It will give you a better workout than a lot of full sized gym machines and places your muscles under 100% resistance / time under tension. I almost forgot to mention, it has a 30 day free trial where you can try the device and pay nothing until that time or send it back.

Old 09-05-2016, 09:32 AM

131 posts, read 221,259 times
I work-out at home with free weights and no bench but do have a 110 lb long bar. I start out with the big bar doing curls, reverse curls, over the head and behind the neck presses for total of 8- 15 sets. I then move onto dumbells and do a variety of things. Usually I'll do some push-ups too and dips/reverse dips on kitchen counter in front of the sink. I also use hand grips and do sit-ups . I use body resistance and push off the counter or walls in a push-up type exercise and put the bias on 1 arm to make it more challenging. I do some bike riding which is obviously good for the legs but surprisingly great for the core.

The point is yes you can definitely get strong and in good shape working out anywhere and watch the show 'Lock-up' because although many jails don't even have weights they all find a way to get big + strong while living in those tiny jail cells.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness