Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 10:13 AM

21,886 posts, read 25,195,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I don't know. I just started a new regimen and I'm grunting a lot. It's hard. I don't really care who "needs to" grunt. They're doing something healthy, something probably more people should be doing. Need to groan? Groan. Want to groan because it makes you feel authentic? Okay, so do it. This is why the good Lord created ear buds.
And Planet Fitness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2016, 11:35 AM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 9 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,605,019 times
In the end, it depends on the individual doing the groaning- and especially their intent (or lack thereof). I put them in two groups (may be oversimple, but it'll do as a primer - if nothing better).

1. People who truly are pushing their limit - Grunting from this group I do see as legitimate. Whether they're actually abusing the equipment and the floor depends on the precise details of the floor, the weights, the gym rules and other matters. But that doesn't take away from the grunting part.

2. People who are not pushing their limit and know it - Big obvious "no way" here. I don't even need to discuss this one - except to say they come off as the type who think physical strength (or at least a strong personality) is the main yardstick to measure a male's worthiness to escape disrespect (the basic idea behind this "manliness" craze).

Old 09-17-2016, 12:08 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,849,333 times
The ones who I see who drop weights are 90lb teens who act all hard throwing weights around or the stereotype gym rat complete with tats, hoodies or doo-rag.

The grunting is usually only very heavy type of lifts.

Do not know about abuse. Do see equipment wrapped in yellow tape. Do wonder how it got damaged.

Old 09-17-2016, 01:11 PM
qwy

296 posts, read 520,766 times
Hi 1orlando,

On campus I try to go to the gym early in the mornings before class because many of the guy in the gym are only there to impress or get a quick fix. In my opinion the ones who act as you so ONLY do it for the attention.

Old 09-18-2016, 01:28 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,632,771 times
Good points of view. I would like to add a little clarification. I am not against the legitimate occasional grunt or weight drop because tye individual is doing something that causes that. I amntalming about tue constant behavior that some folks exbibit. I am referring to tossi g the equipment around even when it is very light or kicking the handles or part of machines to adjust it instead of using their hands. I saw a guy take a sip of his energy drink and litteraly just drop it on the floor they way you throw garbage away. I have seen dumbells damaged and missing the rubber coating because the are dropped so much and other things like that.

Old 09-18-2016, 07:12 PM

22,666 posts, read 24,632,000 times
Skreeeeming and related is acceptable at hardcore powerlifting gyms.........other gyms may send you packing!!

Old 09-19-2016, 04:41 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,829,509 times
for the record, bumper plates are designed to be dropped. So if you're doing olympic style lifts with the right equipment it's not abuse

Old 09-19-2016, 07:50 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,632,771 times
[quote=ryanms3030;45540986]for the record, bumper plates are designed to be dropped. So if you're
doing olympic style lifts with the right equipment it's not abuse
totally agree but that is not what I am referring to here but thanks for participating.

Old 09-19-2016, 08:01 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,829,509 times
[quote=1orlando;45542849]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
for the record, bumper plates are designed to be dropped. So if you're
doing olympic style lifts with the right equipment it's not abuse
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
totally agree but that is not what I am referring to here but thanks for participating.
That's what I do best!

Old 09-19-2016, 09:11 PM

9 posts, read 10,061 times
Oh at my gym there are a certain group of people who seem to love to do this type of stuff, I find it kind of funny actually.

There is a corner of my gym where they have all the freeweights and barbells. Its usually occuppied by the hardcore lifters, the trainers, and the former high school football player kids. Its usually the wannabe hardcore people that do all the grunting, moaning, and dropping of weights. I can't for the life of me figure out what they are actually lifting or doing sets of but they sure like to hang out in that area and check themselves out in the mirror.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness