Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 02:27 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,513,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Last two a Nuala exams I tell me MD that I plan on running half marathon. He tells me to hydrate. Ne did listen for murmurs.This time I asked for 12 lead ekg (former cardiac nurse here). Normal ekg, normal rhythm. But really need stress test for more peace of mind. Even a cardiac cath might help, or nuclear perfusion study, echo, but if you're low risk, and no symptoms no MD would do all of that. Lipids done annually. But other than that, and risk stratification, there's not much you're going to get.
wow, android, that was supposed to be Annual Exams
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
You don't get one unless there is strong evidence that there is major plaque build up, not to get cleared for a voluntary, athletic event.
yes, I'm aware of that..caths can also rupture the artery causing the need for immediate emergency bypass surgery........invasive tests aren't allowed unless there's a legitimate medical reason to perform them....sorry about your father.

Last edited by BucFan; 03-01-2017 at 03:04 PM..

Old 03-01-2017, 05:26 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,960,029 times
I have not read through this whole thread, but my guess is he suffered heart issues due to his meat consumption.

Old 03-01-2017, 07:25 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,028,668 times
I had a heart attack in July. defibbed twice. While I did exercise, it was a wake-up call to eat better, and drink less.

I think all the years of competitive rowing may have saved me since I had minimal damage to the heart (after 3 stents)

Old 03-02-2017, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
I had a heart attack in July. defibbed twice. While I did exercise, it was a wake-up call to eat better, and drink less.

I think all the years of competitive rowing may have saved me since I had minimal damage to the heart (after 3 stents)
wow - what a story....any idea what your lipids were (Cholesterol)? What diet are you following now?Family history?

Old 03-02-2017, 06:15 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,287,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
Most miss the obvious - for someone predisposed, high fitness levels can make the difference between recovery, debilitation, and death.

I had a very bad birth with one child. He had oxygen starvation, briefly. OBs were clear - had I not been so fit (I was a competitive lifter), a bit of oxygen starvation could've been profound retardation or death (see Zavanelli maneuver).

We're all going to die, being fit can get you through health crises better than others.
Thanks for injecting some much needed common sense into this thread.

"Oh well, might as well not exercise/eat right since whatever disease runs in my family."

Please.

Old 03-02-2017, 06:24 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,457,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
The question is, is the heart attack rate lower, higher or the same when compared to inactive folks? r
Much lower.
And like the doc in the article says, rare.

Of course, there are people whose undiagnosed cardiac defects come to light during strenuous activity.

But there are also people who do stupid things.

I know a bunch of people who do triathlons. One of them is my sister-in-law. She has done Ironman several times. And ultramarathons. But she also drinks like a fish and eats total crap.

These people have said to my face that they can eat whatever they want because they work out so much. That is not how the body works.

Then there are all the people juicing and taking other performance-enhancing crap.
Finally, tons of guys are on the "low T" bandwagon and getting implanted hormones, etc.

Old 03-02-2017, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Thanks for injecting some much needed common sense into this thread.

"Oh well, might as well not exercise/eat right since whatever disease runs in my family."

Please.
Nobody said/posted that.

I would post that running marathons at a fast pace or any other run at a high zone of intensity might not be in that person's best interest. And that a high risk person might want to taper down his fitness program from to less excruciating levels if they want to minimize the likelihood of a cardiac event.

Old 03-02-2017, 06:47 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,287,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Nobody said/posted that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
As much as I hate to say it, we are pretty much programmed by our genetics. A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallstaff View Post
There is no reason to think that will allow you to "beat the odds"

Old 03-02-2017, 09:51 AM

17,154 posts, read 12,993,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
All the evidence points to diet and exercise stacking the deck in your favor. That said, even if you know what card is coming next, doesn't mean you win EVERY time.
Exactly. When it's your time, it's your time. I remember going to the Harley motorcycle rally a few years back. The ex and his brother rode. I saw a rider in the show wearing a helmet with the usual assortment of stickers on it. One of them cracked me up. It said, "Eat right. Exercise. Stop smoking and drinking. Die anyway."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness