Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 09:28 AM

4,039 posts, read 3,775,084 times

Advertisements

Not sure what your food sensitivities are but if you can, try to get your carbs from nonsweet sources like oatmeal, beans, lentils, squash, etc. Try to limit your fruit intake to 2 servings a day and one sweet potato a day. Have a small carby meal an hour before your workout and another meal with some protein and carbs after your workout. Limit your calorie and carb intake on days you don't workout. Have a gram of protein per pound of bodyweight. In your case, ~128ish. A little under or over is fine. 1700-1800 a day is a good number for calories our height. That's about how much I eat.

Drink lots of water. Try to get at least a gallon of water a day. Gallon and a half is better if you can. I drink a blender bottle of water upon waking (32oz), another one during my workout, and another one after the gym. That's already 96 ounces of water before 10AM but I wake up at 6AM LOL. Might not be ideal if you workout at night (all that peeing lol). And then I just sip on water throughout the day. I usually end up drinking around 160-190 ounces of water a day. My body is used to it though. Slowly work your water intake up, especially upon waking and during your workout (when we're most dehydrated). Add a glass of water before and after your meals to feel fuller.

I know somebody is going to disagree with me here but I'm speaking from my own experience about what I personally do. Feel free to follow it if you want as a guide or don't if you don't want to. I also don't eat anything after 5PM until the next morning at 6AM. For women, 12-16 hours is intermittent fasting. Some people use it to lose weight. I don't do it on purpose, I just don't like eating at night. I know it's not for everyone but just wanted to bring it up if you might want to give it a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
Unfortunately I think you're right about the fat gain, and eating too much too soon. I don't lift that heavy cause i'm not strong enough to yet. I have a long way to go still. I prefer the class format since they design and time the workouts all for you. Either way, I've always had a super increased appetite with workouts and then very decreased appetite during phases where i'm not as active, and end up losing weight again. Trying to find a happy medium and more ways to add more protein to prevent exercise-induced hunger.

I never had the time to count my macros precisely but I have so many food sensitivities that I think my average protein intake was around 100 grams a day. Not sure i really needed more than that. My carbs only come from fruit and veggies/sweet potatoes and I get fats from nuts, avocados and fish/seafood. I haven't touched a soda since childhood-don't even know what a Pepsi/coke taste like lol.

I've tracked on my fitness pal and my average macros look like this:

Protein: ~95 grams
Carbs: ~155 grams
Fats: ~55-65 grams

Although carbs may have been higher during the big bulk months cause I'm pretty sure i ate an average of ~2500 calories a day

Now I'm averaging around 1700-1800 a day (slowly brought it back down).

Last edited by Gabriella Geramia; 06-09-2017 at 09:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 12:35 PM

22,662 posts, read 24,605,343 times
I have been going a quite hard, yet short, workout 5 days a week. About 5 minutes of either weight-training or a kettlebell-type routine. It has definitely put some decent bulk and definition on my nasty body.

Old 06-09-2017, 03:33 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,411,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
Not sure what your food sensitivities are but if you can, try to get your carbs from nonsweet sources like oatmeal, beans, lentils, squash, etc. Try to limit your fruit intake to 2 servings a day and one sweet potato a day. Have a small carby meal an hour before your workout and another meal with some protein and carbs after your workout. Limit your calorie and carb intake on days you don't workout. Have a gram of protein per pound of bodyweight. In your case, ~128ish. A little under or over is fine. 1700-1800 a day is a good number for calories our height. That's about how much I eat.

Drink lots of water. Try to get at least a gallon of water a day. Gallon and a half is better if you can. I drink a blender bottle of water upon waking (32oz), another one during my workout, and another one after the gym. That's already 96 ounces of water before 10AM but I wake up at 6AM LOL. Might not be ideal if you workout at night (all that peeing lol). And then I just sip on water throughout the day. I usually end up drinking around 160-190 ounces of water a day. My body is used to it though. Slowly work your water intake up, especially upon waking and during your workout (when we're most dehydrated). Add a glass of water before and after your meals to feel fuller.

I know somebody is going to disagree with me here but I'm speaking from my own experience about what I personally do. Feel free to follow it if you want as a guide or don't if you don't want to. I also don't eat anything after 5PM until the next morning at 6AM. For women, 12-16 hours is intermittent fasting. Some people use it to lose weight. I don't do it on purpose, I just don't like eating at night. I know it's not for everyone but just wanted to bring it up if you might want to give it a try.
Definitely can't do oatmeal, beans, and lentils. Squash and sweet potatoes I do really well with. I eat sweet potatoes or a squash around 2-3 times a week. Not eating much fruit these days. Mostly just eat it for fiber and a sweets craving, but I'll be adding them to my one smoothie a day now and leave it at that. I prefer veggies anyways.

Its really hard for me to get in more than 100 grams of protein a day since a lot of the cheaper proteins (oatmeal, beans, etc) I'm sensitive to and I just can't afford that much fish and meats. So that's my struggle with it. I stick with eggs and chicken and tuna for low cost. But eggs have a lot of fat calories so not enough protein for the calories, not that its bad for you or anything, just as far as cost for protein goes.

I don't drink as much water as you, but I drink at least 8 cups for sure. I up my water if I drink anything dehydrating that day like a tea or coffee but that's not as often. other than that, I don't drink anything else. I only drink water before and after meals, otherwise, I just can't eat if I drink during.

As for IF, I'm actually on board with you there. I mostly intermittent fast around 12-14 hours. Trying to increase it to 16. I notice I digest better that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I have been going a quite hard, yet short, workout 5 days a week. About 5 minutes of either weight-training or a kettlebell-type routine. It has definitely put some decent bulk and definition on my nasty body.
I've been trying to look into shorter, hard workouts actually. my HIIT circuits are around 45 minutes with warm up and cool down. and it leaves me ravaging for food after! Maybe shorter ones will help sculpt me without too much post workout hunger. I'll stick to HIIT cardio for endurance training.

Old 06-09-2017, 03:38 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,411,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post
OP,

Check out the number of calories for nuts and avocados. Those two foods were recommended to me because they are calorie dense and would help me increase my daily calorie intake and help me to gain weight.

I am allergic to avocados and all nuts except peanuts. So, I am limited to dry roasted unsalted peanuts to increase my daily calorie intake. Six ounces of peanuts are about 950 calories.

You want to verify the calories of the foods you are eating or you may underestimate your actual calorie intake.

Definitely am aware of the calories in nuts and avocados. it's not the knowledge of a number of calories in what I've been eating that's been my struggle. its the cravings I was having for calorie dense foods. Seems to have subsided. I'm thinking it was hormonally related as well (TMI but my body was re-adjusting from getting off birth control pills after 10 years). We'll see how I do from here on out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness