Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2018, 04:29 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,220,658 times

Advertisements

In December I started training for a half marathon which is at the end of April. I am on a training regimen that has me running 3-4x/week. It's staggered incrementally. For example, last week and this week I did two 5 mile runs, one 7 mile run, and one 2-3 mile. Next week I am scheduled to complete one 5, one 6, one 8 and one 2-3 mile run, etc.

I thoroughly enjoy outside running in temperatures as low as 30 degrees, rain or shine. I like the constant wind in my face, the varied topography, and the fresh air and scenery. The problem is that it's often dark when I get off work and I'm a bit concerned by some questionable characters that roam around my running spot after dark. It's fine during the day, lots of families out and about and people taking their dogs to the dog park, but it's pretty deserted at night besides sketchy people who hang out under the bridge. I can get day runs in on Fridays and Sundays, but since Friday is always my longest run of the week, Saturday is a rest day. So that means that two of my other runs have to be indoors.

The treadmill is just the devil. I can't really describe in words how much I truly hate it. I don't know if it's just that the gym is warm, the air is stale, or that I'm not going anywhere, but it just sucks. Something as minor as a stitch or leg cramp is magnified on a treadmill, probably because I don't have anything else to focus on. My pace tends to be anywhere from 30-50 sec/mi slower on the treadmill than it is outside, even at zero incline. Some days are better than others, but there's always some degree of unpleasantry.

Of course, it's resolution season and the gym is always packed w/no treadmills available, so I often have to get on an elliptical and vulture someone for a treadmill that I don't really want to use. When my numbers suck I get discouraged even though I'm still able to get the distances I need in. However, my gym does have a 30 minute limit on cardio machines and while I haven't yet been asked to leave for going over the time limit, I'm sure it's going to happen eventually.

The 2-3 miler I can do on the treadmill because it's an easy short run. It's the medium length run that kills me every time. I'm wondering if maybe I could substitute sprints or some other cardio work that day without straying too far from the regimen, at least until the days get longer. Otherwise I'm open to hearing ideas or tricks that make the treadmill experience less dreadful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2018, 04:42 PM

939 posts, read 506,388 times
Wish I had a clear-cut answer. I have tried training part-time indoors on a treadmill and I just can't push myself to the same rate of speed. And its boring. Very boring. Made worse by inevitably longer runs when your training for longer distances I guess all I can suggest is a pair of headphones- not most ear buds- and have your favorite motivational music at hand. Have you thought about the idea that there isn't only right regiment that would suit you? I'm thinking a regiment that would entail your shorter and easier runs on the days you are stuck utilizing a treadmill.

Old 01-22-2018, 01:19 AM

3,565 posts, read 2,117,336 times
For me a treadmill is a necessary evil. I used to go to the gym to use one of the really top-end 'mills with all the fancy add-ons like a built-in monitor screen so that you watch your stats, or more commonly to watch a TV program or film, in order to keep you focused on what is a very boring way to spend an hour.

However, I found the gym to be a real chore: too noisy, stale air, poor lighting, and too many people shouting and posing and generally being idiotic. So I bought my own mill for my garage. It's not high-end, but it suits me, and I can watch films or listen to music from the built in sound system. And because its my garage along with other gym equipment, I can mix up my regime so i never get bored of being on one particular machine for too long.

Boredom on the mill usually kicks in after about 15-20 minutes, so that's when I move onto something else, like the exercise bike. And then return to it later on.

One other little trick I use when on the mill is to hide all reference to time. So the dashboard on my treadmill is partially or wholly covered by a towel, and there are no other clocks in the garage. This mans that I have no concept of time, and as such I won't be constantly looking at a clock and thinking "Is that all it is?" (But you have to resist the temptation to take a peek!)

Old 01-22-2018, 06:23 AM

9,406 posts, read 8,379,537 times
While I don't run (I'm a walker), I don't care for the treadmill either but I workout early in the a.m. and walking outdoors at that time isn't always an option so I'll plug in and watch TV while I'm there, which makes it much more bearable.

Have you considered driving to a safer location to do your runs? Is there anywhere close-by where you'd feel safer? How about running with a whistle and/or mace around your neck for security?

Old 01-22-2018, 07:50 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,465,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
In December I started training for a half marathon which is at the end of April. I am on a training regimen that has me running 3-4x/week. It's staggered incrementally. For example, last week and this week I did two 5 mile runs, one 7 mile run, and one 2-3 mile. Next week I am scheduled to complete one 5, one 6, one 8 and one 2-3 mile run, etc.

I thoroughly enjoy outside running in temperatures as low as 30 degrees, rain or shine. I like the constant wind in my face, the varied topography, and the fresh air and scenery. The problem is that it's often dark when I get off work and I'm a bit concerned by some questionable characters that roam around my running spot after dark. It's fine during the day, lots of families out and about and people taking their dogs to the dog park, but it's pretty deserted at night besides sketchy people who hang out under the bridge. I can get day runs in on Fridays and Sundays, but since Friday is always my longest run of the week, Saturday is a rest day. So that means that two of my other runs have to be indoors.

The treadmill is just the devil. I can't really describe in words how much I truly hate it. I don't know if it's just that the gym is warm, the air is stale, or that I'm not going anywhere, but it just sucks. Something as minor as a stitch or leg cramp is magnified on a treadmill, probably because I don't have anything else to focus on. My pace tends to be anywhere from 30-50 sec/mi slower on the treadmill than it is outside, even at zero incline. Some days are better than others, but there's always some degree of unpleasantry.

Of course, it's resolution season and the gym is always packed w/no treadmills available, so I often have to get on an elliptical and vulture someone for a treadmill that I don't really want to use. When my numbers suck I get discouraged even though I'm still able to get the distances I need in. However, my gym does have a 30 minute limit on cardio machines and while I haven't yet been asked to leave for going over the time limit, I'm sure it's going to happen eventually.

The 2-3 miler I can do on the treadmill because it's an easy short run. It's the medium length run that kills me every time. I'm wondering if maybe I could substitute sprints or some other cardio work that day without straying too far from the regimen, at least until the days get longer. Otherwise I'm open to hearing ideas or tricks that make the treadmill experience less dreadful.
I haven't used treadmill in years, nor have I been in a situation where times are important, so take this with at least 1 grain of salt. Instead of longer sessions on the treadmill, why not do the same time and, as you suggested, insert sprints into the mix? When it's too cold outside (or I'm too wimpy), I use my elliptical to do intervals: warm up for 5 minutes, then 30 seconds fast, 60 recovery, repeating 10+ times, then 5 minute warmdown. You get a good workout and you get it done quickly. With the elliptical I can vary resistance; with the treadmill you can tweak incline. You can probably get the same cardio benefit from 20 minutes of intervals as maybe 30 minutes of evenly paced running (and you're spared 10 minutes of boredom).

Old 01-22-2018, 11:29 AM

3,158 posts, read 4,593,550 times
I love my treadmill it's a Life Fitness the high end model with all the bells and whistles, going on 8 years use it 5 days a week and still love it! I feel I get a better workout on my treadmill, because I can control the inclines and I can just checkout in the safety of my own home gym. I live remote and in cold country and older so now. Life Fitness was worth every penny!

Old 01-24-2018, 11:09 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,462,161 times
During the winter (since it is dark early), drive to a middle school or high school track and run there. Although the track is not exiting, it is far better than the treadmill. It has a padded surface and is easier on the knees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness