Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 12:22 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times

Advertisements

I ran for years and always loved it more for the mental exercise than the physical exercise. Now when I try to do it, it just hurts. Also, I used to get a post-running headache that could sometimes be really terrible. I agree that some people can run for decades, but I feel like it took a toll on my joints--especially back and hips. Now I do lots of cardio machines indoors and some walking outside. While it's not the same mentally, I don't feel the wear and tear.

But OP, I'm glad you've found some things you like to do. That's the key!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2018, 12:25 PM

4,630 posts, read 4,898,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
But it's hell on your knees.
Citation?

Cause it's not.

Being heavy is bad for your knees
Running wrong (bad form) is bad for your knees

Old 03-07-2018, 01:46 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,448,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I ran for years and always loved it more for the mental exercise than the physical exercise. Now when I try to do it, it just hurts. Also, I used to get a post-running headache that could sometimes be really terrible. I agree that some people can run for decades, but I feel like it took a toll on my joints--especially back and hips. Now I do lots of cardio machines indoors and some walking outside. While it's not the same mentally, I don't feel the wear and tear.

But OP, I'm glad you've found some things you like to do. That's the key!
Very interested in this as my goal as I get older is to keep running but to keep the aches and pains to the joints down - I just picked up Jeff Galloway's Run Walk book to see what that's all about.....and I'm okay w/ decreasing my speed dramatically by 1-2 min/mile to keep things safe on the joints - ......

Did you run full out during the height of your running days? do you attribute total miles or speed to why you started to hurt?

I've seen old folks running gracefully but light on their feet and think that's the way to go rather than pounding heavily with increased effort/exertion.

Old 03-07-2018, 04:07 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
I've always wanted to hand a runner my grocery list. Let them run there and back with my goods. It's a win win

I cannot do any exercise for exercise sake. It has to have a productive purpose. Lift boxes (unloading a truck) serves a purpose . Or if I am cleaning a room ...it's bending,stretches and sometimes chasing my dog from around his hiding spot. (Good cardio).
But running...only if I'm being chased by a madman or a Hungary hippo.

I do appreciate workouts...just wish you runners would do my grocery shopping.

Old 03-07-2018, 04:19 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,278,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I'm just not into running at all - not because I can't but because it's just not something I enjoy.
I doubt anybody enjoys running right out of the gate. For me it started out as a group activity then grew into finishing races; 5K here, 10K there, a few 10 milers. Part of it is the satisfaction of finishing something. Then it's about getting fit. You can see it in a way that no gym work out will do.

Old 03-07-2018, 05:07 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,448,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I doubt anybody enjoys running right out of the gate. For me it started out as a group activity then grew into finishing races; 5K here, 10K there, a few 10 milers. Part of it is the satisfaction of finishing something. Then it's about getting fit. You can see it in a way that no gym work out will do.
I used to despise it. And I was paid to do it (while in the military). When I retired, I purchased a heart rate monitor and run to a desired heart rate and the sport is much more enjoyable and has become a habit/routine for the last 5-8 yrs. If I had to give up one form of exercise (ie running, yoga, lifting, Pilates), I'd probably want to give up running last. I think it provides me the best bang for my energy buck.

Old 03-07-2018, 07:44 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Very interested in this as my goal as I get older is to keep running but to keep the aches and pains to the joints down - I just picked up Jeff Galloway's Run Walk book to see what that's all about.....and I'm okay w/ decreasing my speed dramatically by 1-2 min/mile to keep things safe on the joints - ......

Did you run full out during the height of your running days? do you attribute total miles or speed to why you started to hurt?

I've seen old folks running gracefully but light on their feet and think that's the way to go rather than pounding heavily with increased effort/exertion.
I really attribute it more to my anatomy and physiology than anything. I didn't train for long races and I was never very fast. I did some 5k races and a couple of 10k's, but mostly I'd just go out and run 3-5 miles for exercise. But it got to where something was always hurting and I just didn't want to do it anymore.

I have a friend who has run more than 100 marathons and has run 2 marathons in 1 weekend and other crazy stuff. He's in his 60s and still runs 50+ miles/week. I just think some people are built for lots of miles and some aren't.

Old 03-07-2018, 08:41 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,679,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I really attribute it more to my anatomy and physiology than anything. I didn't train for long races and I was never very fast. I did some 5k races and a couple of 10k's, but mostly I'd just go out and run 3-5 miles for exercise. But it got to where something was always hurting and I just didn't want to do it anymore.

I have a friend who has run more than 100 marathons and has run 2 marathons in 1 weekend and other crazy stuff. He's in his 60s and still runs 50+ miles/week. I just think some people are built for lots of miles and some aren't.
Yes, the studies cited above were observational only. They did not attempt to get people who weren’t runners into running and simply cited the findings for people who were current or former runners. I would guess that the people who are current runners don’t really have a whole lot of pain. Former runners might be like you and maybe stopped when they got to be in too much pain. Nonrunners might never have started because they found the whole idea of running to be painful. I know I have tried it and just find the impact of running to be hard on my body. I will end up with hip or foot pain afterward. I am generally pretty fit, but just don’t like high impact activities.

Old 03-08-2018, 01:03 AM

3,565 posts, read 2,116,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
People like that are just so friggin' stupid. What I REALLY want to say about them will probably get me banned from CD, but they are just so moronically stupid that its amazing. That same mindset applied to education is like "Why do you waste so much of your time studying at the university, you could get hit by a car tomorrow". They are just too ignorant and stupid to even try to explain health/fitness to them. Sad really.
True enough I guess. But that's the thing about exercise in general - you really have to be of the right mindset to want to dedicate all those hours, eating the right foods, drink the right drinks, and push yourself over all those personal pain barriers. And for a lot of people they just can't or won't do that, and therefore dismiss it as a waste of time and effort for themselves and in others.

That said, my same friend is absolutely brilliant at DIY! He's been on courses, passed exams and now earns good money from his part-time job as a general maintenance person. So I guess his form of "exercise" differs to mine in that his comes as part of his job, while I do my long distance running as an optional extra purely because I love going through all that pain for personal gain.

Old 03-08-2018, 10:03 AM

22,662 posts, read 24,605,343 times
I used to run and I hated every step of it.

I rely mainly on a good diet to stay in good shape/health. I do short, intense workouts 1 to 5 times a week. Running, when I did it, seemed to sap a lot of my energy and made my legs feel weaker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness