Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 06:43 PM

245 posts, read 311,598 times

Advertisements

So I've worked out my whole life, doing a mix of hockey and light weightlifting/calisthenics. The last few years I quit hockey but still do some light weights/pushups/pullups etc. a couple times per week.

I've developed a few bad joints. (but not that you could directly attribute to the exercises. They started to hurt when I was doing other things.) The shoulder doctor said that "at your age" people shouldn't be doing ANY weights or pushups anymore. I should just be doing cardio/swimming/yoga. Another doctor was horrified that I was deadlifting 100 lbs once or twice a week for reps. I thought I was being extremely conservative. I feel like I need to keep up a minimum of strength and muscle tone because I sit at a desk all day long.

I thought most guys can keep doing the basics a couple times per week until at least their 50s. Any advice?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2018, 06:51 PM

2,146 posts, read 3,063,465 times
Find a new doctor. Seriously.

Old 08-26-2018, 06:55 PM

110 posts, read 67,218 times
Likely you are doing yourself a dis-service.

I'd cut the weights down by 25% MINIMUM but closer to 35%

You'd still be doing strenuous exercise.
Yoga?? Swimming? You're not 75, you are 35

You should be cycling in order to get good cardio while enjoying yourself, you may need to move. Within 101-5 min from our house, you've climbed 1200+ feet to the Summit where it snows 2x more. Kinda nice to live so close to trails and mountains, lakes and rivers. But the city has never appealed to me, flatlanders can have it. Though I enjoy swimming, it isn't cardio to me. Enduring a heart attack in the water is one of my greatest fears. Good luck!

Old 08-26-2018, 07:07 PM

19,054 posts, read 27,620,833 times
Hope, this will be motivational

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUa9uKN8fRM

Old 08-26-2018, 07:54 PM

3,221 posts, read 1,739,575 times
Utterly ridiculous, you can lift weights at any age.

Old 08-26-2018, 08:11 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,489,000 times
Sounds nuts unless you have some sort of degenerative issue? I'm in my 50's and I lift regularly, mostly free weights and I'm stronger than I've ever been. You do have to watch your form though, bad form will get you injured at just about any age. If you're unsure if you're using proper form, there are lots of good videos on youtube.

This guy has a lot of good form videos. > https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe0...QbE-MjuHXevj2A

For your current injury, rest is definitely best. Let your shoulder heal for at least a week or two and ease back into it slowly once it feels better.

Frank Zane was rockin' it well into his 60's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBiDWDsOSas

Old 08-26-2018, 08:55 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,202,887 times
Myself, I would go with the cardio through cycling as the primary exercise and do some walking and save your joints because they need to last a long time. In between, some light weight lifting may be okay but nothing excessive. I worked a lot of manual labor jobs when younger and I can feel the effects of it now. My knees started giving me trouble in my early 30's. I am headed towards 60 now and I bike quite a bit and my goal is to maintain cardiovascular conditioning for as long as I can.

Old 08-26-2018, 09:25 PM

779 posts, read 472,555 times
Run, don't walk away from this "Doctor."

Old 08-26-2018, 09:29 PM

674 posts, read 609,143 times
OP - I think your doctors are stuck in the dark ages, unless you have a medical condition that you didn't tell us about. Physical activity and appropriate resistance training should be done for as long as possible. I am 60 and work out with weights every other day; the "weight-less" days, I go for a run. As a physical therapist, I treat a lot of older adults who are in very poor shape because they were not active and did not work on their strength when they were younger.

Old 08-26-2018, 10:18 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,581,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshotbob99 View Post
So I've worked out my whole life, doing a mix of hockey and light weightlifting/calisthenics. The last few years I quit hockey but still do some light weights/pushups/pullups etc. a couple times per week.

I've developed a few bad joints. (but not that you could directly attribute to the exercises. They started to hurt when I was doing other things.) The shoulder doctor said that "at your age" people shouldn't be doing ANY weights or pushups anymore. I should just be doing cardio/swimming/yoga. Another doctor was horrified that I was deadlifting 100 lbs once or twice a week for reps. I thought I was being extremely conservative. I feel like I need to keep up a minimum of strength and muscle tone because I sit at a desk all day long.

I thought most guys can keep doing the basics a couple times per week until at least their 50s. Any advice?

Thanks.
Nobody can offer any opinion without specificity about the "bad" joints, but you're dropping a clue that the problems are chronic if you say they're "bad". Also would help by specifying the doctors' specialities, if any.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness