Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 03:37 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,309,669 times

Advertisements

tell the doctor to look at this beautiful lady:

MEET ERNESTINE | Ernestine Shepherd
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2018, 04:05 PM

24,502 posts, read 17,250,696 times
That doctor is crazy you can lift weights at any age but the amount might be limited especially if your joints are hurting OP.

I met a guy today fishing that was 86, looked 76 and he is still very active and he splits his own wood, not with a machine but with a log splitting ax !

You doctor OP would probably tell him to check himself into an old folks home ASAP.

I say go for it but if it is hurting you then stop or reduce what you are doing.

Old 08-28-2018, 05:36 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,683,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
All you people telling this guy to ignore his doctor are wrong or worse. The guy has joint problems. It doesn't matter whether or not he thinks they were CAUSED by deadlifting and all that, but your body doesn't care about causes. It cares about results. And to continue to put extreme stress on joints that are already bad is STUPID.

But go ahead. Then in a few years we'll hear about how many joint replacements he's had and how much pain he is in. Have fun with that.
Right, and another issue is that we don’t even know if we is doing his exercising right, which may be exacerbating the issue. If he has joint problems, the best way to continue exercising safely is to work with an occupational or physical therapist who can observe your form and design a program with your particular limitations in mind. I had one friend who was on a path to knee replacement when she was the OP’s age or even earlier and she did need to have a knee replacement, but it wasn’t until she was in her 50s. She she was able to put it off with regular exercise that included weights and stretching and she was overall a very active/fit woman when I met her after the knee replacement. However, she came up with her program with the help of a physical therapist.

Old 08-28-2018, 07:08 PM

28,679 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
All you people telling this guy to ignore his doctor are wrong or worse. The guy has joint problems. It doesn't matter whether or not he thinks they were CAUSED by deadlifting and all that, but your body doesn't care about causes. It cares about results. And to continue to put extreme stress on joints that are already bad is STUPID.
We haven't been telling him to ignore his doctor, we've been telling him to get another doctor.

Old 08-28-2018, 07:13 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,460,264 times
Don't knock yoga/Pilates, it's actually pretty strenuous and when done in a hot room you sweat like crazy.

I had tennis elbow and also had developed some other tendinitis issues from running. I have significantly cut back on exercising with reps. I now run once a week only. Keep in mind I can do 25+ pull/chin-ups, 60+ push-ups, etc, can run 3 miles in 20 minutes but now at 37 have noticed degradation in my body. The only weights I pick up are for lunges, everything else is body weight.

I think there is truth to moderation and people you see killing themselves to be in tip-top shape will start paying for it with significantly increased body wear.

I started doing Pilates with my wife a few months ago and was seriously impressed by the strength required to do it correctly - I guarantee you that those who do it several times a week are in better shape with better muscle tone and less body damage than those who consistently lift repetitive weights and run. Combined with some body weight exercises and light cardio I now feel it's the most sustainable form of continuing exercise.

Old 08-28-2018, 10:20 PM

4,175 posts, read 2,574,561 times
Here are a couple extreme body weight exercise guys. Ross uses a variety of training methods in addition to BW exercises. I love listening to him jump rope. And yes, he really is that fast. Both are awesome. If you can't lift there are other ways to get fit. I have to laugh when I watch these guys. They just blow me away.

https://www.youtube.com/user/rossenamait

https://www.frankmedrano.com/

And here is one for the older guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq2XgQ7ZpOQ

--------------------------------

Last edited by mlulu23; 08-28-2018 at 10:40 PM..

Old 08-28-2018, 10:57 PM

24,646 posts, read 9,472,982 times
Mr. Olympia contestants are in their 40s, lifting massive weight, and injecting themselves with God knows what. (Dexter Jackson is 48)

So yes, simply lifting wights at 35 is perfectly normal and ok. If freaking Dexter Jackson can compete for Mr. Olmypia with guys half his age, you can lift some weights too.

Old 09-03-2018, 08:55 PM

4,258 posts, read 3,178,135 times
At 66 I still lift. That said, it is only one aspect of fitness (albeit an important one). Working on Cardio and flexibility will pay dividends as you age. I just got back from hiking/climbing at high altitude, over 130 miles in 9 days....something the average person in their 30's couldn't do.

Old 09-04-2018, 08:16 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,640,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Don't knock yoga/Pilates, it's actually pretty strenuous and when done in a hot room you sweat like crazy.

I had tennis elbow and also had developed some other tendinitis issues from running. I have significantly cut back on exercising with reps. I now run once a week only. Keep in mind I can do 25+ pull/chin-ups, 60+ push-ups, etc, can run 3 miles in 20 minutes but now at 37 have noticed degradation in my body. The only weights I pick up are for lunges, everything else is body weight.

I think there is truth to moderation and people you see killing themselves to be in tip-top shape will start paying for it with significantly increased body wear.

I started doing Pilates with my wife a few months ago and was seriously impressed by the strength required to do it correctly - I guarantee you that those who do it several times a week are in better shape with better muscle tone and less body damage than those who consistently lift repetitive weights and run. Combined with some body weight exercises and light cardio I now feel it's the most sustainable form of continuing exercise.
Dude you’re 37, there is no degradation at that age unless something is wrong. Weight lifting is the best and only way to build and maintain muscle throughout your life. Even my dad at 76 still lifts weights and remains in great shape. Does he do heavy weight at his age? No, but he still does what he can.

I turn 36 this year, I’m stronger than I’ve ever been and bigger too. More mature neuromuscular connections and better training habits make it easier in your 30s to build muscle I think. I also don’t feel any loss of testosterone, I swear sometimes I think I have way more than I did ten years ago. Muscle does also build testosterone which regulates many other body functions. You should also note that studies confirm muscularity is correlated with decreased mortality from all causes.

If you’re doing just body resistance stuff at 75, you’re still doing great. But at 37?? I mean no way. You’re cheating yourself of your max potential.

Old 09-04-2018, 08:51 AM

28,679 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Clearly there must be something more going on than the OP realizes or has related in the thread.

The OP needs to get a lot more information about his actual condition, from other doctors if the two he's consulted won't tell him more, because as all the testimony here or any research online will show, it's certainly not a matter of age or even ordinary injury that a doctor would tell him he can't do any weight training at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness