Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 05:35 PM

3,133 posts, read 2,258,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
In early 60's with sedentary lifestyle, hate exercising, running, etc. and am looking for a personal trainer. How should I go about it, what questions should I ask, what are rates? I am not looking to take classes and use sterile gym equipment. I don't need to lose any weight and recently had physical including stress test and my heart is fine. Primarily want to improve endurance, get muscle tone (losing strength) and improve heart health. So my goals are fairly modest but I can't get myself motivated. Would a personal trainer help with motivation??
So you want to pay someone else to motivate you to take care of yourself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2018, 05:52 PM

3,144 posts, read 1,601,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
So you want to pay someone else to motivate you to take care of yourself?
THe thread is "what to look for in a personal trainer." If you can't provide constructive information, please move on.

Old 10-23-2018, 06:02 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
^^^ This ^^^

Old 10-23-2018, 09:39 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
I know; seems like trying to find a needle in a haystack. Hate the idea of entering a gym and getting the sell. Might call some outpatient physical therapy groups to get a referral.
From my experience, I found gym trainers as a collective to be largely limited experienced young people who seemed to focus on trying to turn sedentary overweight people into the fit people on the gym posters. You'd be sorely disappointed if you're already fit and wanting to turn things up a notch, or merely needed guidance. You'd also be disappointed if you wanted specific training to your physical issues as many of them, when pressed, didn't really know how to work with people who have issues. The ones who have the actual knowledge and requisite experience often only stick around a short time because they aren't compensated all that well and the gyms usually end up being crap employers.

I lucked out with the guy I have now...third time's a charm and all..he's an Army sargeant who trains me with a "sorry/not sorry" approach. He really wants to see me attain my goal, which like you is to get stronger. He's "sorry" in that he knows how to get me to where I need to be without compromising my bad knees, but he's "not sorry" when it comes to pushing me if he knows I still have something in me. It's not about turning me into a gym poster girl, it's about getting me to my goal of being a strong woman.

For your goals, I'd either find a reputable trainer who either can come to your house or you go to theirs. Or a small, neighborhood gym type set up. Or, as you said, PT.

I don't mean to slam gym trainers, but your goals (despite what they preach) often don't fit into their template.

Old 10-23-2018, 11:10 AM

4,953 posts, read 3,055,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Don't really care for gym trainers. I like the one I have now, but the turnover is unbelievable and I've been through two people and was about to cancel before I found this guy. He, too, will leave in December, and at that point I will cancel and just go at it on my own.

Generally I agree w/you, and I'm a former trainer.
Our Park District fitness center has 2 older women who are not only qualified, but also licensed from the physical therapy center located on the first floor. Both of them are in great shape.

With this in mind, a PT center might be a better place for the OP to search.

Old 10-23-2018, 11:50 AM

674 posts, read 608,609 times
"licensed from the physical therapy center": what kind of license is that, and who is the licensing agency? I am asking, not questioning; AFAIK, there are only 2 PT licenses available (PT, and PT Assistant) and they both require years of study + clinicals + a national board exam. Or is that a "certification", which is not as stringently regulated?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness