Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2018, 01:55 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,247,707 times

Advertisements

Gym scene has really gone downhill since the 1970s. Wow! Just wow!

Place where I trained was called a health club. A rather large setup but the only cardio unit was a treadmill that the runner powered himself (rollers); everything else was for resistance training: weights, benches, and machines.

Maybe the women's area had cardio eqpt., (yes, the sexes were separate except for the swimming pools) but I don't know for certain. For cardio, guys went outside and ran.

I loved the camaraderie of membership, guys were cooperative, no ass*****, but we moved to the boonies where there were no such facilities. I had to establish a home gym.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2018, 06:01 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,604,363 times
I don’t actually go to a gym. I’m just reading this thread for laughs.

Old 11-14-2018, 09:37 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,127,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I don’t actually go to a gym. I’m just reading this thread for laughs.
Go to Youtube and look at some of the videos of wacky people at the gym. You will fall over laughing. I saw one video of a guy looking like he was in a UFC match with a machine, not even working out with it.

Its like the people of Walmart meets Richard Simmons after downing 4 Loko.

Old 11-14-2018, 10:15 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 4 days ago)

35,612 posts, read 17,940,183 times
People who just sit on a piece of equipment forever, not exercising. Like, more than 5 minutes, doing nothing. Staring off into space.

HELLO, MOVE!

Old 11-15-2018, 02:53 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,127,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
People who just sit on a piece of equipment forever, not exercising. Like, more than 5 minutes, doing nothing. Staring off into space.

HELLO, MOVE!
I can accept that as opposed to people who are on thier cell phones using the machine as just a seat. They are usually noodling on the internet or taking selfies making a duck face. This is among the rudest behavior I think.

Old 11-15-2018, 03:19 AM

11,119 posts, read 5,585,831 times
Here in my town, I've rarely experienced any of the bad behavior described in previous posts, in the gyms and weight-rooms. People here are polite and considerate. There is an unwritten protocol about shared facilities, that everyone seems to learn quickly. Peer-pressure would straighten them out before long, if they didn't follow it. After all, this is the running and fitness capital of the world and people are very aware of how to fit in smoothly.

However, I will acknowledge that the gyms where I've worked-out, were either at our university or close to it, with a majority of members from that community. They are more pleasant to be around, have fewer annoying habits and are more tolerant of others, than those who grew up during a less politically-correct social environment.

Old 11-15-2018, 03:44 AM

658 posts, read 721,557 times
The worst is all those ugly fat people. Who do they think they are showing up at a gym of all places? Gyms are only for showing off your hot bod!

Old 11-15-2018, 06:17 AM

9,382 posts, read 8,351,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamillaB View Post
The worst is all those ugly fat people. Who do they think they are showing up at a gym of all places? Gyms are only for showing off your hot bod!
You realize the humor in this post will be completely lost on 90% of City-Data, right?

Hey, I chuckled!

Old 11-15-2018, 06:48 AM

9,382 posts, read 8,351,427 times
The people who chew gum with their mouth agape literally EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.

Old 11-15-2018, 08:50 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,736,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBAinTexas View Post
People who sit on the machines, looking as if they were about to use it, but instead just use their cellphones, looking up their texts, social media, etc.

People who do lunges all over the gym with the barbell over their shoulders. Fine. Do lunges, but in ONE SPOT. Not all over the gym.
I actually think it's fine to do walking lunges and it doesn't bother me when people do them, but they should definitely not be doing walking lunges with a barbell, that takes up way too much space and you risk hurting not just yourself, but other people. Do them with a dumbbell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
I can accept that as opposed to people who are on thier cell phones using the machine as just a seat. They are usually noodling on the internet or taking selfies making a duck face. This is among the rudest behavior I think.
HELLO, MOVE!
I don't understand these complaints, why not just ask them to move? Or ask to work in? I do it all the time and I never get any trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness