Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2019, 08:41 AM

2,633 posts, read 2,695,744 times

Advertisements

Something I notice is that mentally I struggle staying on the right track healthwise as I get older. At 40, I really don't notice that much of a difference from when I was 20, maybe a little bit less flexible. Mentally though, I just have less compelling reasons to abstain from indulgent foods and to keep those extra couple of pounds off. Part of my brain says that I feel better when I eat healthy and exercise, the other part says I only live once so just indulge. As you get older you focus a lot more on career and kids, life gets stressful, and you indulge more often to reward yourself.

I don't see anything physical about it just yet, for me it's all related to lifestyle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2019, 08:50 AM

1,893 posts, read 1,019,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
Something I notice is that mentally I struggle staying on the right track healthwise as I get older. At 40, I really don't notice that much of a difference from when I was 20, maybe a little bit less flexible. Mentally though, I just have less compelling reasons to abstain from indulgent foods and to keep those extra couple of pounds off. Part of my brain says that I feel better when I eat healthy and exercise, the other part says I only live once so just indulge. As you get older you focus a lot more on career and kids, life gets stressful, and you indulge more often to reward yourself.

I don't see anything physical about it just yet, for me it's all related to lifestyle.
100% agree with that.

Old 03-31-2019, 10:47 AM

3,158 posts, read 4,612,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post

I found it harder when I was younger. I had three kids underfoot, but that all changed once I hit my later 40's it was my time now, empty nest, now I have the time, and the biggest things I have noticed is in my younger years I had a lot upper shoulder and neck pain, pretty much daily. I haven't had any problems since I took up running & lightweights at 49, I feel better than ever on all levels..I'm in my late 50's. I take time for me now, when I was younger I felt guilty if I wasn't there 24/7 as mom to my kids and hubby, I realized I understand the importance of taken care of me! I eat way healthier as well don't feel bad for spending the money it requires ... The best way put it, is I found myself again~~

Old 03-31-2019, 01:09 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,890,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard~ View Post
Do You Gain Weight As You Age? Don't Blame Your Metabolism~~According to science, the change in your metabolism is not a valid excuse for weight gain

https://healthywaymag.com/health/gai...VUOu4CoceQbBak
eat more, less active

Old 03-31-2019, 05:07 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,891,831 times
My Grandparents were lifelong Dairy Farmers... born on the farm and died there in their 90's… all the early to bed and early to rise... never owned a TV... Sunday was their day off after 5-6 hours tending and milking...

My Grandfather could easily where his wedding suit...

Plus he did everything wrong... high fat diet, raw milk, pork and chicken they raised and slaughtered... grandmother baked everything even their daily bread...

On Sunday supper he would literally ladle the fat on his meal...

Only once to a Doc and that was for a Farm accident at 88... Doc noticed a irregular heartbeat and said a pace maker would due the trick... otherwise incredibly healthy... Grandpa said No... when it is my time it is my time...

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 03-31-2019 at 07:37 PM..

Old 03-31-2019, 05:49 PM

243 posts, read 271,729 times
I’m 25 6”4 150 pounds. I used to weigh more when I was younger but now I try to stay as skinny as possible because the more heavier you weigh the more diseases you are capable of developing

Old 03-31-2019, 06:29 PM

35,260 posts, read 31,631,024 times
Throwing the physical/biological stuff out for a minute...

Life happens. When I was in college, I was walking all around campus as part of my daily routine, as well as working a physical job at Walmart in stock and I did construction type work for several summers.

I'm a business analyst now. My job is completely sedentary. I try to take walks on my lunch hour and such, but I'm nowhere nearly as active as I was then.

Most people I know, especially with small kids, do fall apart to an extent as they age.

Old 03-31-2019, 06:58 PM

6,654 posts, read 5,067,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
As your hormonal balance changes, insulin plays a greater role, and insulin causes fat retention. Research has also shown, that for women, at least, a hormone that's key in pregnancy causes the body to build fat after menopause. Researchers now are trying to devise a remedy that would block its action, since that fat gain at that stage of life carries many risks.
Yes! For me it's been hormones, adrenals and thyroid, but I do have insulin issues now too. I'm hoping mostly caused by adrenals. I work out much more than I did in my teens and 20s so that's not an excuse. I have to be obsessive about carb intake these days.

Old 03-31-2019, 11:35 PM

24,936 posts, read 9,678,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Eat too much, move too little.
Yup that’s what it comes down to. This is why after high school, some people become morbidly obese while others could run a marathon.

Anyone can blame anything they want to, but it comes down to calories.

If folks want to live a painful life of diabetes, clogged arteries, ER visits, high blood pressure and heart disease then that is their choice. The human body simply cannot function at an optimal level when there is too much fat

Old 03-31-2019, 11:37 PM

24,936 posts, read 9,678,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliefNorth View Post
I’m 25 6”4 150 pounds. I used to weigh more when I was younger but now I try to stay as skinny as possible because the more heavier you weigh the more diseases you are capable of developing
That makes zero sense. I’m 5’10” and 190 pounds and likely more healthy than you, because I have this thing called “muscle” and I do this thing called “weight training.”

Heavier means nothing without the context of how much muscle there is
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness