Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 06:47 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,667,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Not sure why it's a myth. I mean, women won't add the bulk as fast or to the extent a man would. Particularly for a non-lifter though, they are going to get bigger. So you add, what, 5 pounds of muscle. Big deal. Just speaking from the vanity perspective, most people look better with some muscle. That is take the same fat person and add some muscle and they'll look better. They might be 5 pounds heavier (and hence bigger) but they still look better.
You have muscle or fat. There is o such thing as bulk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivertowntalk View Post
Many overweight women and men already have a lot of muscle from hauling around extra weight.
You can't be serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Because it's not false. Lift weights (especially low reps, high weight) and your muscles DO get bigger, and more sharply-defined as well. Granted, women lifters never approach the muscle mass men can get (unless they're juicing) - but for some reason a lot of women dislike the look of female arms and legs with well-defined musculature and non-flat muscles. They don't want to be fit, they want to be skinny-fat. They want to look like Callista Flockhart, not like the women competing in weightlifting or the Crossfit Games.
People are using terms like low reps and most of the audience here doesn't know what that means. Low reps is typically 6 or less. This is best for building strength but not size. Eight to 12 reps is best for building size. Above 12 reps is only endurance. There is nothing wrong with doing more than 12 reps but you should increase weight on the next set and work to failure. Keep in mind that this varies based on genetics. Building sharply defined muscles requires lifting and diet. This is why most people have difficulty getting defined abs because they are hidden by fat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2019, 08:06 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Incorrect. Everyone has muscle and fat. I mean, I'm sure you just misspoke. But then twice in two sentences is kind of a lot of misspeaking. You're on the Internet though so you can look up what the word bulk means if it's confusing.

Old 04-25-2019, 05:44 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,460,880 times
Quote:
You can't be serious.

I have seen some overweight people with the most amazing calf development ever. And the calves are huge and hard as a rock. So there is muscle in body areas.

Old 04-25-2019, 08:09 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
[quote=CaveSpringNewb;55021058] "Oh, I can't lift weights because I'll get bigger". This is the #1 response!!! This new friend started telling me how she used to work in the gym when she was younger to let me know she knew what she was talking about. I didn't respond after to be polite.

Why do so many woman give this false answer? /QUOTE]
Because there are about 150 myths that people believe about weightlifting.

Because they (Wrongly) assume they'll look like a female Arnold. Which is ridiculous if you know how much work, time and effort and chemicals Arnold needed to look like Arnold.

I talked with a Dad about his son that asked me about a few things and his dad was worried about "Squats making him bulky and slow" in baseball and basketball...Thing is I bet most olympic sprinters squat well over 400 lbs. I know of one 200 lb NFL RB that squatted over 600 while running a 4.58...Your average NBA rookie might not have the high squat numbers but that's because he's tall AF.

Old 04-25-2019, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
I have seen some overweight people with the most amazing calf development ever. And the calves are huge and hard as a rock. So there is muscle in body areas.
I haven't. Most overweight people also have fat calves. It seems like it is more prevalent in women since they are more likely than men to gain fat in their legs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Incorrect. Everyone has muscle and fat. I mean, I'm sure you just misspoke. But then twice in two sentences is kind of a lot of misspeaking. You're on the Internet though so you can look up what the word bulk means if it's confusing.
You are right, I did mean muscle and fat. I looked up "bulk" in the dictionary and could not find a body part that it refers.

Old 04-25-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Yes and no. You can have little muscle, and little fat; look at a Cross Country Runner. You can be fat with little muscle. You can have a lot of muscle and little fat, or You can be fat and have a lot of muscle. Compare Morghan King with Sarah Robles.

Quote:
You can't be serious.
Actually they are. I used to go to a gym where the strongest guys were those in extremely excellent shape (like d1 running back level shape) followed closely by and sometimes exceeded by a couple overweight guys. They weren't in nearly as good as shape but they could squat, clean, etc, a lot of weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Because it's not false. Lift weights (especially low reps, high weight) and your muscles DO get bigger, and more sharply-defined as well. Granted, women lifters never approach the muscle mass men can get (unless they're juicing) - but for some reason a lot of women dislike the look of female arms and legs with well-defined musculature and non-flat muscles. They don't want to be fit, they want to be skinny-fat. They want to look like Callista Flockhart, not like the women competing in weightlifting or the Crossfit Games.
What they don't realize is that they'll never have the time, genetics or discipline to look like Camille LeBlanc.

Old 04-25-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
I haven't. Most overweight people also have fat calves. It seems like it is more prevalent in women since they are more likely than men to gain fat in their legs.

You are right, I did mean muscle and fat. I looked up "bulk" in the dictionary and could not find a body part that it refers.
Have you never heard of "Bulk and Cut?"

Some of what is being tossed around refers to trying to outtrain a bad diet. It depends on goals. You can gain muscle and fat at the same time.

Old 04-25-2019, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Actually they are. I used to go to a gym where the strongest guys were those in extremely excellent shape (like d1 running back level shape) followed closely by and sometimes exceeded by a couple overweight guys. They weren't in nearly as good as shape but they could squat, clean, etc, a lot of weight.
I was responding to a post that said:

Quote:
Many overweight women and men already have a lot of muscle from hauling around extra weight.
I agree many people are both overweight and strong. That probably applies to the majority of NFL linemen. I highly doubt that anyone has "a lot of muscle from hauling around extra weight."

Old 04-25-2019, 09:50 AM

4,565 posts, read 5,421,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaveSpringNewb View Post

Her response was like many other over-weight ladies when I mention this.. "Oh, I can't lift weights because I'll get bigger". This is the #1 response!!!
I think the women who respond like this do so partly because of their ignorance on how things actually work. It could also be partly due to their knowing that if they continue eating their 8,000 -12,000 calories per day and lifting weights, the scale will continue to rise upwards.

OP, I dont know what geographical area this is where you are talking to these "over-weight ladies" or their age ranges or education levels, but I can say with extreme confidence, that it seems like most of the women I know, in my area, from mid-late 40s and below know this "I cant lift weights because I'll get bigger.." nonsense is complete b.s. and total not grounded in any sort of fact.

It makes me so happy to see how much knowledge this younger generation has when it comes to health and fitness. I seriously dont think I know very many women who are NOT regularly doing some type of fitness/exercise routine like lifting weights, yoga or spinning. Most DO IN FACT participate in some type of resistance training. Hopefully, the "many other over-weight ladies" you know and talk to will learn this and get over their fear of weight training.

Old 04-25-2019, 10:35 AM

163 posts, read 144,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
I think the women who respond like this do so partly because of their ignorance on how things actually work. It could also be partly due to their knowing that if they continue eating their 8,000 -12,000 calories per day and lifting weights, the scale will continue to rise upwards.

OP, I dont know what geographical area this is where you are talking to these "over-weight ladies" or their age ranges or education levels, but I can say with extreme confidence, that it seems like most of the women I know, in my area, from mid-late 40s and below know this "I cant lift weights because I'll get bigger.." nonsense is complete b.s. and total not grounded in any sort of fact.

It makes me so happy to see how much knowledge this younger generation has when it comes to health and fitness. I seriously dont think I know very many women who are NOT regularly doing some type of fitness/exercise routine like lifting weights, yoga or spinning. Most DO IN FACT participate in some type of resistance training. Hopefully, the "many other over-weight ladies" you know and talk to will learn this and get over their fear of weight training.
Well I've lived from Charlotte NC to Roanoke Va area. There is a big mix of ladies I've met going to gyms. It's alarming as I've come across this A LOT unfortunately. It does come down to eating way too many calories and people make excuses about that and don't want the truth to be told. I feel like that's a big part of the battle. Being honest with yourself is HUGE. Thanks for your thoughts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness