Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 10:44 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,583,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Yes. And they also had them to take salt tablets.
Yep - I remember those
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2019, 10:57 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,593,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
Everyone I've known in my personal life that has had knee surgery has not been a runner. I've known 2 kids(11-12) who weren't athletic at all, and 4 adults, all non-runners, who had knee surgery. I have yet to meet one person in real life who is a runner and has had to have surgery on their knees.

This nonsense about knees getting ruined by running, is just a weak excuse for those who don't want to put out the effort to do it. In fact, we are designed to run and for long distances. It's been proven that over an extended distance and involving many consecutive days, that humans can outrun any other species and hold up better from the strain of doing it.

I've been running daily, mostly on pavement, since I was a small boy and my knees continue to be in good shape. I've had a few mishaps that strained or bruised them, but they've always fully recovered. And to that l'll add just two words: glucosamine and MSM.

Old 05-18-2019, 05:00 AM

1,198 posts, read 661,569 times
I can't think of too many, but sit ups are probably one.

And Jane Fonda workouts lol

When I was a kid I loved to bike everywhere on one of those huffy bikes with the banana seat. I climbed trees and raced with the neighborhood kids. I rollar skated. I helped in the garden and did yardwork. Those things were exercise. I never stepped foot in a gym until I was 23, other than gym class in grade school.

Old 05-18-2019, 11:23 AM

6,589 posts, read 4,977,963 times
This would have been between early 1988 and May 1990. Cory Everson had a 30 minute workout show. I remember her saying that people believed lifting would make you muscle bound and inflexible. After she said this, she did something crazy like lift her leg to behind her head while standing, or a split, to prove how flexible she was. (crazy because I've never been that flexible, muscles or not!)

Old 05-18-2019, 12:16 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,897,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Running DOES ruin your knees.

Humans aren't meant to run, and run, and run, for miles on asphalt. That's not what we're built for, and it will cause you to have knee replacements if you don't stop before, say, 35 years old.

We are meant to meander around on soil and grass, and run in short spurts of 1/2 mile or less after prey or to escape danger.

This crazy idea of pounding ourselves for 6 miles several times a week will ruin your skeleton.
I think humans aren't made to wear tennis shoes. There's a tribe down in Mexico where they run 200 miles for fun, and there secret no shoes. Yep they run 200 miles barefoot or with pieces of tire on there feet in the desert. They even have women 65+ who can STILL run over 60 Miles at a time. These are the legit capabilities of the human body and once harnessed we could out run every animal on Earth to death. The precursor to where we are now. Even a marathon how many animals are capable of that.

Old 05-18-2019, 08:18 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
Women and men are prone to different injuries. That is something to consider while thinking about your anecdotal evidence.

Old 05-18-2019, 10:30 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,170,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Yes. And they also had them to take salt tablets.
Yes, salt tablets! Great idea.

Old 05-19-2019, 03:42 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,011,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
I remember those buttwipe, think-they're-Vince-Lombardi, football coaches refusing to let players have a drink of water during practice or games, no matter how hot it was or how much the players are sweating. "You'll get cramps. Swish it around in your mouth and spit it out."
There were some very strange beliefs around marathon running. I remember reading that a runner named Jim Peters collapsed in a 1954 marathon on a hot day when he drank zero water during the race.
https://www.insidethegames.biz/artic...h-empire-games

Then there were even early 20th century marathons, where some thought it a good idea to drink wine during the race.

Old 05-19-2019, 03:48 PM

static stretching. I never liked it. I was a 'hobby' runner, and never did static stretches, which I still see lots of people doing in the park to this day. I would always just 'warm up' with some slow jogging and the like.

A couple years ago I read an article by a physiology guy saying that static stretching was not a good idea. Essentially it tells the muscles to relax, which means decreased performance. The guy said instead do 'dynamic stretching,' which is stretching that involves movement, as opposed to 'stretch and hold.'

Old 05-19-2019, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Running DOES ruin your knees.

Humans aren't meant to run, and run, and run, for miles on asphalt. That's not what we're built for, and it will cause you to have knee replacements if you don't stop before, say, 35 years old.

We are meant to meander around on soil and grass, and run in short spurts of 1/2 mile or less after prey or to escape danger.

This crazy idea of pounding ourselves for 6 miles several times a week will ruin your skeleton.
This is not accurate. From an old CD thread:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/34206899-post24.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Magill
James Fries, M.D., co-author of a 2008 study from Stanford that tracked 528 runners and 423 non-runners beginning in 1984, counts the ways: "Running improves your blood pressure. You're less likely to get blood clots and varicose veins. Bones become stronger and denser. It's a treatment for osteoporosis. It prevents fractures of the hips and spine. The ligaments get bigger and stronger--they protect the joints from wobbling, which is one thing that causes joints to wear out.
I do agree with the poster that it is wise to avoid running on pavement. IMO that is rough on the knees (and other lower-body joints).

There is some evidence from physical anthropology that man evolved to do 'persistence hunting.' That is chasing animals over long distances, chasing to exhaustion. I've read that over long distances (e.g. 26.2 miles) man is actually the fastest critter on the planet. Mostly because of our superior cooling systems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness