Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2019, 10:30 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,712,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Water is not at all like air. Your body basically starts to shut down when water is below 60 degrees and it doesn’t do great when it it is between 60-70 either. Most Olympic swimming settings are somewhere above 77 for a reason, and that reason is that it is safe to swim at 77 degrees without any ill effects to the respiratory and cardiovascular system. Typically in this temperature, a thin shortie wetsuit to protect your torso (between 60-70) would be beneficial.

I swim every day just about in an outdoor pool (not heated so you are at the mercy of the weather). Early in the season it's not 77 degrees in that pool, it's closer to the upper 60s low 70s. It warms up as the summer goes along. It was 90 degrees in the middle our recent heat wave (and it was miserable. Some of my fellow regular lap swimmers wouldn't even swim). Last time I checked it was 80 degrees which was still warm feeling to me, but better than 90. I haven't checked the temperature in the past few days. But early in the year when it's in the upper 60s lower 70s, I could swim without my body shutting down. In fact, the swim team (bunch of kids) can too. And little kids are also there playing in the water without suffering. Jumping in at first is a little cold, but you get used to it quickly, especially when working out. Like stepping out for a walk on a brisk day.

I also ocean swim when I go to the beach and the last two times I went, the ocean temperature was in the upper 60s (it usually doesn't get to be 70 until August). People swim all the time, no wetsuit, and they don't die. The train the lifeguards in it in May when it's in the 60s.

I suppose if you stayed for hours and didn't move much, it could be an issue. When I pool swim, I swim about an hour at full intensity. When I ocean swim, I do the same but I only swim about 30-40 minutes depending on the currents (it's more work and I get tired more easily).

Those indoor pools, I sweat when swimming and am miserable. It's not refreshing at all. I hate indoor pools because they are too warm for me. But I swim non-stop for an hour. Not a lap and rest, two laps and rest again like some others do. So that's important to keep in mind too. If you plan to rest a lot while swimming maybe you do need more temperature protection. I always feel like I want to cool down.

But like I said, everyone is different and has different tolerances. Maybe I am more tolerant of cold water. Or maybe I am stupid and putting myself in danger. Maybe it's cultural too. Maybe growing up with cooler water means I like cooler water/expect it (because like I said, I am not doing anything different than others around me). But those differences are why I specifically told the OP to try a shortie as well (rent one don't buy it because sitting in cool water and actually working out in cool water are two different animals and you may find you don't want a wetsuit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This has been debated furiously on the California forums. Everyone insists, that the low to mid 60's is too cold to do much swimming, and that a wet suit is needed. They claim that central and northern CA beaches aren't swimmable, due to the cold temps. Surfers use wetsuits in those temps, as they're in the water for hours. I swim in those temps without a wetsuit, but after a half-hour swim, I do have mild hypothermia when I"m done, and need to spend time in front of a warm fire or soaking in a warm tub, to warm up.

I've swum in much colder water without a wetsuit, so a little mild hypothermia doesn't faze me. I'm happy to see that I'm not the only one who thinks that swimming in 63 degrees is fine.
I used to dive in Southern California. That water is colder. Sometimes even in the upper 50s. If you are hours in the water, yes, you need something there for certain. Diving too since there is a pretty distinct thermocline and you aren't really working out. I wore a wetsuit to dive, but didn't wear a wetsuit when just swimming. Swimming out to a dive sight in a wetsuit was usually miserably hot. I would pull down my hood just so I could get cold water on my head to cool me down.

Last edited by TMBGBlueCanary; 07-26-2019 at 11:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2019, 01:03 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,608,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I'm interested in this conversation because I'm trying to buy a "shortie" wetsuit for an upcoming snorkeling trip where the water will be between 77 - 79 degrees.

And the websites there say that if you want to snorkel for more than half an hour, you'll probably need one. If you just intend to get in and out of the water to swim around and cool off, you obviously won't need anything.

If you go on Amazon, most of the wetsuits say "good to 60 degrees" or "70 degrees and up".

OP - how did you get tap water that's that cold in your bathtub? Did you have to put ice in it? Tap water in the summer in Louisiana, in my experience, is not 60 degrees! If you're just using tap water, and not putting ice in it, I think there's something wrong with your thermometer.
Yes, I added some ice a little at a time and stirred it around some with a ruler to even things out a bit.

Old 07-26-2019, 01:17 PM

2,306 posts, read 1,712,829 times
Quote:
I'm interested in this conversation because I'm trying to buy a "shortie" wetsuit for an upcoming snorkeling trip where the water will be between 77 - 79 degrees.

And the websites there say that if you want to snorkel for more than half an hour, you'll probably need one. If you just intend to get in and out of the water to swim around and cool off, you obviously won't need anything.

If you go on Amazon, most of the wetsuits say "good to 60 degrees" or "70 degrees and up".

OP - how did you get tap water that's that cold in your bathtub? Did you have to put ice in it? Tap water in the summer in Louisiana, in my experience, is not 60 degrees! If you're just using tap water, and not putting ice in it, I think there's something wrong with your thermometer.

I mentioned a shark skin suit earlier as an idea for the OP. That might be worth looking into too (it covers your whole body). While you might not need full body coverage for temperature reasons, if you plan on snorkeling and diving down to look at things, a shark skin would protect your skin from the sun and possibly some sea life. It's about as warm as a 3 mil wetsuit so it may be a bit warmer than a shortie. I would wear a skin while diving less than 120 feet in the tropics (water gets colder at depth, even in the tropics).

Old 07-26-2019, 02:11 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,104,198 times
Quote:

These are the same type of websites that say a 3-5 mile hike on level ground needs moderate fitness. They are trying to address the most vulnerable, least adaptable people.

You won't need a wetsuit for snorkeling in 77+ water. Yes, you will feel slightly cool after awhile, but you certainly will not feel cold. If you are really worried about it, most snorkeling outfits rent wetsuits for $15 or so on tours. No need to purchase.

If you really want to own your own wetsuit, go for the lightest one possible, that covers the least amount of body area. 3 mm shorty is where I would look.

Old 07-27-2019, 01:55 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,608,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMBGBlueCanary View Post
I mentioned a shark skin suit earlier as an idea for the OP. That might be worth looking into too (it covers your whole body). While you might not need full body coverage for temperature reasons, if you plan on snorkeling and diving down to look at things, a shark skin would protect your skin from the sun and possibly some sea life. It's about as warm as a 3 mil wetsuit so it may be a bit warmer than a shortie. I would wear a skin while diving less than 120 feet in the tropics (water gets colder at depth, even in the tropics).
https://www.amazon.com/Mens-Sharkski.../dp/B00J4Y54TK

Is that what you are talking about?

I’m 5’9” and 220 pounds, but otherwise am unsure what size to get.

Old 07-27-2019, 03:46 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,104,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
https://www.amazon.com/Mens-Sharkski.../dp/B00J4Y54TK

Is that what you are talking about?

I’m 5’9” and 220 pounds, but otherwise am unsure what size to get.
Don’t do that. You will overheat for sure. If you do want something, look for this type of thing. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00J4...A138GYT3Y3DZXX
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness