Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2019, 01:45 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,354,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Everybody smells, particularly around the genitals and anus. Armpits are not as stinky as they are made out to be, but sometimes need help. It is possible to get very clean if you swim for an hour, but if all you do is sluice off in the shower, you need soap to deal with skin oils.
I find (my) feet to be the worst offender in odor production (on my body). While armpits can smell, they (on me) tend to have more of a 'musty' smell to them. (My) Feet on the other hand, can come up with smells that I did not think were possible on a human being. My feet are the "loudest" in that respect as well. It would clear about 50 feet easily.

But some good foot powder can and has 'cured' me so to speak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2019, 03:35 PM

50,356 posts, read 47,099,157 times
If I do a 100 mile bike ride I can just about knock people over from the smell at red lights.

Old 08-09-2019, 11:06 AM

10,571 posts, read 7,781,727 times
Some people just seem to smell more than others. Diet and stress levels may play a role in this. I have a friend with terrible BO, regardless of how often he bathes.

My wife and good friend no longer shampoo their hair, only water rinse. My skin and scalp are still too oily for me to consider not using soap or shampoo.

Old 08-09-2019, 11:53 AM

15,642 posts, read 26,275,966 times
I made egg salad yesterday and did an experiment. I use green olives, and squeeze them in half. My fingers get oily. I had filled up a sink with it soapy water and dishes and got an idea.

I simply ran my fingers under clear water. Still greasy. I dunked them into the soapy water — still greasy. I had to rub my fingers together. Friction. Not greasy anymore.

Did a few more olives to get greasy again. This time I used clear running water and friction.
Not greasy.

My conclusion — friction works. You can’t just run water, you have to scrub. I am still not giving up my soap or shampoo.

Old 08-10-2019, 06:10 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,687,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Some people just seem to smell more than others. Diet and stress levels may play a role in this. I have a friend with terrible BO, regardless of how often he bathes.

My wife and good friend no longer shampoo their hair, only water rinse. My skin and scalp are still too oily for me to consider not using soap or shampoo.
Yeah I have this problem as well. I have certain areas of my body that get oily like my scalp and then I end up developing scalp folliculitis that sometimes also appears on my chest. Recently it started to migrate to my arms. It was incredibly itchy. Usually if I use a tea tree shampoo and a zinc wash a few times a week along with a lactic acid lotion, it keeps this at bay. Otherwise, I think some areas of my body are just so oily and since I live in an area that gets more humid for parts of the year (I used to live in FL and it was awful), there is just no option. I go down to washing my hair every other day in the winter, but I still bathe daily since I get night sweats.

Old 08-10-2019, 07:08 AM

2,955 posts, read 1,415,160 times
I shower every other day and find that's the right amount for me. If I showered every day, my skin and hair gets too dry, but less, then scalp gets too itchy and I feel gross overall.

Old 08-10-2019, 07:22 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,256,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post

Why?

Old 08-10-2019, 07:50 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,009,909 times
I think about dogs - my dogs in particular.

I don't brush their teeth but they do eat "greenies" regularly as a natural sort of tooth brushing thing.

They only take a bath about once a month (they are big dogs and don't get on the furniture and they do not sleep with us).

They don't use deodorant - LOL.

They smell like dogs, which while it's not a STINK, it's not a particularly pleasant odor. And their teeth are yellow and their breath is definitely doggie and not particularly pleasant.

I imagine that unwashed people would definitely smell like, well, unwashed people.

I have very thick, dry, coarse hair so I only wash it about twice a week. And after the second day, it begins to smell like hair if that makes sense - not a STINK but I much prefer the scent of shampoo or other products. Call me spoiled I guess but I prefer my 21st century body products!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness