Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2019, 01:12 PM

17,558 posts, read 39,208,754 times

Advertisements

Hey all. This is more of a vent than asking for advice -just need a little cheering up right now. A month or so ago I suffered what I thought was a minor "calf pull" or strain. It seemed to feel a lot better within a few days, so I went about my routine and all of a sudden, suffered the same thing again but MUCH WORSE. My sport of choice is recreational bike riding which I have done daily for 15 years, and I am now nearly 70 (female). My problems started when I changed the saddle on my bike, my calves started feeling weak and would cramp up at night. Then one day I kind of tripped getting off (saddle too high) and came down hard on the leg. This is the side that is "weak" for me, as I have spine problems and multiple injuries on that side including a herniated disc and several former sprained ankles.

Soooo..... I am trying to be very careful as the leg was very swollen and painful for a few days; one week later I am getting around a lot better but still have minor swelling if I am on the leg too long. I feel very depressed not being able to ride or even go for a walk. I am a person who needs that along with fresh air and sunshine. I guess I just need encouragement that I will get better soon, and any suggestions for improvement/healing. I know these things take time; but I have a lot going on right now including buying a house in another city and moving in a couple months so I have to be feeling strong and healthy!

Thanks for listening!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2019, 01:51 PM

9,446 posts, read 8,422,481 times
I feel your pain.....well, you know what I mean. I recently went through a surgery that prevented me from being very active. I came back WAY sooner than I should have but it worked out for me.

My advice is to stay busy/occupied as much as you can. Direct that energy elsewhere, whether that's fixing up something or whatever. At your age the healing process will take a bit longer but it WILL heal and what seems like an eternity now will fly by.

Do you belong to a gym? Can you ride a stationary bike on the lightest setting? What about some upper body super light exercises? Just trying to think of ways to move vs. putting weight on the injured leg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness