Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 10:20 AM

2,301 posts, read 2,042,882 times

Advertisements

I am near 70 years old. I still think of myself as a guy in my youth, or at least a guy more youthful than my perception of 70. I try to keep my weight under control and I still want to remain physically fit, at least as much as possible. At this point in my life I have adopted new guidelines as to exercising and unfortunately, in some cases this includes rehab. I have noticed that, for example, if I take a swim and actually put effort into it for just 10 or 15 minutes, I ill wake up the next morning sore and in fact I might not be able to lift my hands over my head for a while or I might limp along with sore hips for a day or two. Point is, unlike yesteryear I have to be cautious about introducing new exercises or even expanding current exercise. I recommend other "slightly older" people do the same. Ironically, this includes rehab exercises or new exercises designed to address something like arthritis.

I can now see that should I live long enough, there will be a time that my daily exercise routine will involve simply walking through the grocery store or a gentle walk in the park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 11:27 AM

1,893 posts, read 1,019,544 times
I suggest yoga to folks in your age group. They have "gentle yoga"....it increases flexibility, strength, balance. Might make things easier on the body when.doing other fitness. I do yoga on top of other stuff and think it helps. Mid-50's here.

Old 08-13-2019, 11:34 AM

33,383 posts, read 26,698,421 times
I know what you mean. I'm 65 and though I feel much younger, it does take longer to recuperate from hard workouts than when younger, and injuries do come more easily. As you get older, volume needs to decrease while keeping intensity as best you can. Hopefully however, I never get to the point where a walk in the park is the best I can manage.

Old 08-13-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBMorgan View Post
I suggest yoga to folks in your age group. They have "gentle yoga"....it increases flexibility, strength, balance. Might make things easier on the body when.doing other fitness. I do yoga on top of other stuff and think it helps. Mid-50's here.
I went to YouTube recently and did a search on "gentle yoga". Just about the most gentle yoga I found would put me in the hospital. It would not be a heart attack. It would be a dislocated knee or shoulder. There are some that are very easy and I will do them but I'd like to think that age has not deteriorated me that much.

Old 08-13-2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
I know what you mean. I'm 65 and though I feel much younger, it does take longer to recuperate from hard workouts than when younger, and injuries do come more easily. As you get older, volume needs to decrease while keeping intensity as best you can. Hopefully however, I never get to the point where a walk in the park is the best I can manage.
I have a "circle the wagons" philosophy. It kind of goes: do the best you can to keep fit and healthy but eventually the time will come when the goal is to avoid self-inflicted injuries while performing modest physical activities. It is the point of circling the wagons or, full defensive mode. I think ideally we all get to that point, however we want that point to come at age 97 and not 67.

Old 08-13-2019, 01:21 PM

2,269 posts, read 1,662,179 times
I’m right there with you OP. I’ll be 72 on next b’day (how the heck did THAT happen?!). It’s aggravating to do things I never even thought about when younger and now find out they make me sore and fatigued, if I even have the stamina to do them. I find I just have to take things in smaller doses. It’s hard for me to imagine what it’s going to be like in another 10 years. I am not looking forward to it at all.

Old 08-13-2019, 02:09 PM

19,228 posts, read 27,869,689 times
64+ here but I do not give up. Weight lifter since 27. I can't imagine life without it.
Yes, it does hurt some. So what? Best way to rid of exercise related muscle pain is to do that exercise again next few days. Removes lactic acid.

As of lately, took me 4+ month to be able to sit in lotus pose. But little by little... and it's easier every time.
I understand, that, eventually, I won't be able to lift as much as I did or do. Fine with me. I am not performer. I am into this for health. And I KNOW without any doubt that, without exercise, I'd have been well of wealth by now to doctors and surgeons.

Old 08-13-2019, 03:39 PM

3,711 posts, read 2,743,990 times
It's part mental part physical. The body can do amazing things. It can heal itself. Just don't sit still whatever you do.

You will always be hurting somewhere on your body. I always have. Doesn't stop. Hell if I ran to a medical doctor every time I hurt I would have had 50 surgeries by now and 100 medications. Don't give them the pleasure. Take control of your health.

Old 08-13-2019, 03:53 PM

17,609 posts, read 39,347,587 times
yes, I hear you. I am a 70 y.o. female, always loved being active. These days almost anything can cause an injury ( have one now) and it is very discouraging. They do have "chair yoga" so that might be something we can try. As we age, with injuries, arthritis, etc. we need to stretch and keep limber so our joints don't stiffen and compress.

Old 08-13-2019, 05:22 PM

2,512 posts, read 1,598,031 times
I had to stop shoulder presses and dips because of arthritis. I do a handful of yoga poses every morning, some ab work and modified push-ups. I hit the gym and weights every so often, but am not consistent in it. Learn the poses and do them each day. It gets easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness