Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 05:06 PM

1 posts, read 616 times

Advertisements

I recently began a simple, beginner resistance routine that includes pull ups. Doing proper pullups (i.e., the hard kind - no kick/momentum, just dead-hang, up to chest and down again, full range of motion), right now I can only do 2 or 3 for the first set, and then I can do only 1 full pullup for the 2nd and 3rd sets. (I weigh about 160 lbs.)

I'm wondering if I should just keep doing my pullups this way, 3 sets with each set to exhaustion, in spite of my current ability to do only 1-3 pullups per set. I expect I'll be able to do more pullups per set fairly soon, but I'm wondering if I would gain muscle any faster if I tried *assisted* pullups, shooting for 8-10 reps per set before exhaustion.

In any case, I'm going for mass more than endurance, which is why I'm thinking higher-weight/lower reps. Eventually I'll work with weights more than bodyweight exercises like pullups, but proper pullups are plenty intense for now. I want to be able to crawl before I walk and walk before I run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2019, 05:25 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,854,917 times
Keep doing it that way, do not do assisted. Once you can do one, do not use assistance.

There are a few fun programs out there also to assist in increasing pull ups; grease the groove, pull up challenge, etc. Mix the grips up and even throw some chins in there.

Old 08-20-2019, 05:28 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,695,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMaso View Post
I recently began a simple, beginner resistance routine that includes pull ups. Doing proper pullups (i.e., the hard kind - no kick/momentum, just dead-hang, up to chest and down again, full range of motion), right now I can only do 2 or 3 for the first set, and then I can do only 1 full pullup for the 2nd and 3rd sets. (I weigh about 160 lbs.)

I'm wondering if I should just keep doing my pullups this way, 3 sets with each set to exhaustion, in spite of my current ability to do only 1-3 pullups per set. I expect I'll be able to do more pullups per set fairly soon, but I'm wondering if I would gain muscle any faster if I tried *assisted* pullups, shooting for 8-10 reps per set before exhaustion.

In any case, I'm going for mass more than endurance, which is why I'm thinking higher-weight/lower reps. Eventually I'll work with weights more than bodyweight exercises like pullups, but proper pullups are plenty intense for now. I want to be able to crawl before I walk and walk before I run.

I can do at least 10 pullups when I'm doing them on a regular basis, but I quickly lose that ability with even a short layoff. I understand how you feel about only being able to do 2-3 reps. There is nothing wrong with doing assisted pullups to allow you to get in more reps. I would start with the three sets of regular pullups and then do assisted pullups to get in the additional reps you want. Another than you can do is to do lat pulldowns immediately after your pullups. I typically shoot for 5 sets of pullups and then lat pulldowns on two different machines.

Old 08-20-2019, 05:39 PM

1,893 posts, read 1,013,784 times
I've been working on them for awhile (well, off and on) and haven't had a lot of success - I do a lot of medium-to-light wt lifting so I doubt that I'm doing much in strength. I understand that the pull-up is really a back exercise ---here's a good YT website were he explains his process.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3ntNsIS2Q8

Old 08-27-2019, 02:07 PM

412 posts, read 303,305 times
try unasisted pullups. When i began with working out years ago ive barely did 4 sets of 4 pullups. Now i can do 6 sets of 12. It is one of best exercises, you must just practice them

Old 08-27-2019, 02:11 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,585,975 times
I wouldn't bother with the assisted pull ups. The good thing about pull ups is that you can do them frequently. If you are doing a few everyday you will see progress quickly.

Old 09-02-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
I wouldn't bother with the assisted pull ups. The good thing about pull ups is that you can do them frequently. If you are doing a few everyday you will see progress quickly.
what about the theory that the muscle needs a day of rest/recovery - doesn't it apply here -- maybe do them ever other day?

Old 09-02-2019, 11:15 AM

1,980 posts, read 6,878,972 times
I am 52 and able to do 12 reps of very clean pull ups and 14 of the chin ups. I do 5 sets. I find the weighted ones a bit too much for my joints, so I use the hold and slow decent noted in the video above and I think it helps.
The only other thing I will add is contract your abs/core on the way up. It helps.

I have tried to do assisted ones but find them awkward. If you are able to do one, then keep practicing.

Old 09-02-2019, 11:37 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,585,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBMorgan View Post
what about the theory that the muscle needs a day of rest/recovery - doesn't it apply here -- maybe do them ever other day?
It depends on the intensity of the workout. I don't see any reason a beginner can't do 3-5 pull ups everyday. On the other hand, you can't do sets of weighted pull ups with a 45 pound plate everyday. You would burn out quickly.

Old 09-02-2019, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00molavi View Post
I am 52 and able to do 12 reps of very clean pull ups and 14 of the chin ups. I do 5 sets. I find the weighted ones a bit too much for my joints, so I use the hold and slow decent noted in the video above and I think it helps.
The only other thing I will add is contract your abs/core on the way up. It helps.

I have tried to do assisted ones but find them awkward. If you are able to do one, then keep practicing.
curious what you think about doing them every day - good or bad? thanks for the comment on abs/core --I find that works for a lot of other types of exercises/balance ---will try firming the core next time I give it a go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness