Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2022, 07:13 AM

9,382 posts, read 8,351,427 times

Advertisements

I think a lot of people forget that most of us fast from after dinner (say 6pm to 7pm at night) until we wake up. So nearly every day you're already fasting for roughly 12 hours, which is more than enough to stay trim. Don't eat late at night and eat a small but healthy breakfast - a small bowl of oatmeal, a cereal bar (what I eat every a.m. before hitting the gym), a banana and juice, etc. etc.

Personally if I woke up and went to lift weights and do cardio without eating anything I'd pass out and get the shakes from hunger. While there may be scientific evidence that fasting helps burn more calories, I'm not of that mindset. I'd rather ingest a few calories to fuel my workouts to add muscle (which burns calories) and push me through my cardio session than to starve myself and be miserable for that hour to 2 hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2022, 08:17 AM

4,511 posts, read 2,656,277 times
It also matters what you're defining as "working out". A poster above talked about lengthy bicycle rides. I've done this a few times while fasting or near-fasting and you definitely will hit the wall a lot earlier. The most depleted I've ever been in my life came on a long ride, while fasting, and it started cold and kept getting colder and I was insufficiently dressed for the temp, and to top it off I took a wrong turn and went with the 60 miles fast group instead of the 40 miles moderate group.

But 45 minutes of lifting weights is unlikely to get enough aerobic state going, nor to burn enough fuel, for fasting state to matter all that much.

Old 12-01-2022, 08:21 AM

25,559 posts, read 17,267,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
I think a lot of people forget that most of us fast from after dinner (say 6pm to 7pm at night) until we wake up. So nearly every day you're already fasting for roughly 12 hours, which is more than enough to stay trim. Don't eat late at night and eat a small but healthy breakfast - a small bowl of oatmeal, a cereal bar (what I eat every a.m. before hitting the gym), a banana and juice, etc. etc.

Personally if I woke up and went to lift weights and do cardio without eating anything I'd pass out and get the shakes from hunger. While there may be scientific evidence that fasting helps burn more calories, I'm not of that mindset. I'd rather ingest a few calories to fuel my workouts to add muscle (which burns calories) and push me through my cardio session than to starve myself and be miserable for that hour to 2 hours.
I hear ya!
My one attempt at fasting and working out at the same time was - as I said - a disaster. I'm going to try a couple of modifications and see if I can tune it up.
First, I will try electrolytes. I keep a powder on hand, so that's easy.
If that doesn't work and I still feel nauseated I am going to try "cheating" during the fast by eating a hard boiled egg before the workout. Protein, you know.
The fast I addressed the other day was 17 hours, and that includes overnight.

One way or the other, I have to create a calorie deficit in order to lose my 13 pounds. Taken on a weekly basis, maybe this will be something I can incorporate into a lifestyle that includes 3 workouts a week.

Old 12-01-2022, 10:53 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,457,773 times
I have never fasted before working out or running. I take the majority of my supps and of course Aleve and caffiene in the am before I train so breakfast is a must if I don't want to burn a hole in my stomach.

Pre workout breakfast is my biggest meal of the day. Typically 5 whole eggs with some fat free cheese.

Once I train, I have a protein shake and light snacks the rest of the day. No lunch really except a snack. Very light supper - protein source with a green veggie. When I used to strip my bodyfat very low, did the exact same type of eating but more cardio. I still maintain lean-ness with the big breakfast. The training burns those calories off.

Old 12-01-2022, 07:05 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,666,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
I have never fasted before working out or running. I take the majority of my supps and of course Aleve and caffiene in the am before I train so breakfast is a must if I don't want to burn a hole in my stomach.

Pre workout breakfast is my biggest meal of the day. Typically 5 whole eggs with some fat free cheese.

Once I train, I have a protein shake and light snacks the rest of the day. No lunch really except a snack. Very light supper - protein source with a green veggie. When I used to strip my bodyfat very low, did the exact same type of eating but more cardio. I still maintain lean-ness with the big breakfast. The training burns those calories off.
“Of course Aleve”? Sorry- have to ask about that one. Not about the eating first- that is obvious. Caffeine + Aleve with no food is a recipe for all sorts of issues. I’d probably throw up before I even got to the gym and that would solve any issues with weight gain, but I don’t think that’s a route anyone wants to try.

I think that the OP could try the alternate day fasting where you eat 500-600 calories on the “fast” days about 2-3 times a week. The OP could use the 500 calories for his breakfast, or have a couple of eggs for breakfast and then have the rest of his calories for something after.

Old 12-01-2022, 10:10 PM

720 posts, read 500,465 times
Try a 7-day water fast. Drink a gallon of distilled water per day with pink Himalayan sea salt. You'll lose that last bit of weight and then some. Plus, no exercise needed (and no, you won't get sick, you won't lose muscle).

Old 12-02-2022, 07:08 AM

9,382 posts, read 8,351,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmil View Post
Try a 7-day water fast. Drink a gallon of distilled water per day with pink Himalayan sea salt. You'll lose that last bit of weight and then some. Plus, no exercise needed (and no, you won't get sick, you won't lose muscle).
Unless you're a wrestler/boxer trying to drop weight I don't see any logical reason why anyone on this planet would do such a thing. Our bodies are not meant to starve for 7 consecutive days, this is terribly dangerous and not good advice.

OP - what do you "need" to drop this weight for, exactly? Why are you so focused on these arbitrary weight numbers? Why not just workout, eat clean/healthy and live life normally?

Old 12-02-2022, 07:46 AM

25,559 posts, read 17,267,108 times
Quote:
Unless you're a wrestler/boxer trying to drop weight I don't see any logical reason why anyone on this planet would do such a thing. Our bodies are not meant to starve for 7 consecutive days, this is terribly dangerous and not good advice.

OP - what do you "need" to drop this weight for, exactly? Why are you so focused on these arbitrary weight numbers? Why not just workout, eat clean/healthy and live life normally?
Yeah, I'm not doing any of those rapid weight loss programs. Just not interested.
I'm an endomorph, without the heavy bone structure of an mesomorph or the frail bone structure of an ectomorph.
Each of us has his ideal weight. Mine is 175. Yours would probably be different, but you know what it is; we all do. I used to weigh 212 because that was my life style. I am learning a new lifestyle that will result in me weighing 175.
Put another way, I learned behavior that resulted in my weighing 212; now I will learn behavior that will result in my weighing 175. Obviously, I did weigh 175 at one point. I liked it better there.

Last edited by Listener2307; 12-02-2022 at 08:13 AM..

Old 12-02-2022, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
“Of course Aleve”? Sorry- have to ask about that one. Not about the eating first- that is obvious. Caffeine + Aleve with no food is a recipe for all sorts of issues. I’d probably throw up before I even got to the gym and that would solve any issues with weight gain, but I don’t think that’s a route anyone wants to try.

I think that the OP could try the alternate day fasting where you eat 500-600 calories on the “fast” days about 2-3 times a week. The OP could use the 500 calories for his breakfast, or have a couple of eggs for breakfast and then have the rest of his calories for something after.
At 70 calories each, 5 whole eggs is only 350 calories. Sprinkle some fat free or even whole fat shredded cheese on top and it doesn't add that much more. But eggs are packed with the most bioavailable protein and nutrients that are perfect for muscle growth/maintenance.

Yes, Aleve and caffeine require food. I take Aleve for joint inflammation. It keeps the parts working.
Once I am done with my training, I take no anti inflams the rest of the day. I don't drink coffee so the caffeine tabs substitute.

OP could alternate fast using breakfast as his main meal as you suggested.

The 7 day water fast for someone working out is a no go. Your muscles need fuel to grow. That would put anyone in a catabolic state. Also it would be a miserable experience and for what.....?

Old 12-02-2022, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Agreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness