Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2022, 08:47 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,363,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Yeah, I'm not doing any of those rapid weight loss programs. Just not interested.
I'm an endomorph, without the heavy bone structure of an mesomorph or the frail bone structure of an ectomorph.
Each of us has his ideal weight. Mine is 175. Yours would probably be different, but you know what it is; we all do. I used to weigh 212 because that was my life style. I am learning a new lifestyle that will result in me weighing 175.
Put another way, I learned behavior that resulted in my weighing 212; now I will learn behavior that will result in my weighing 175. Obviously, I did weigh 175 at one point. I liked it better there.
Then you don't need a gimmicky diet that loses weight fast, you need a lifestyle change which will cause you to shed those unwanted lbs, which is something you'll take with you for the rest of your life. Diets do not work, the vast majority of people who diet and lose weight gain it back and then some.

Get your tail into the gym, prep your meals on Sundays so they're ready and you don't go off to McDonald's because you're starving, get in some cardio every single day and you'll be good. These diets just dont' work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2022, 11:19 AM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Then you don't need a gimmicky diet that loses weight fast, you need a lifestyle change which will cause you to shed those unwanted lbs, which is something you'll take with you for the rest of your life. Diets do not work, the vast majority of people who diet and lose weight gain it back and then some.

Get your tail into the gym, prep your meals on Sundays so they're ready and you don't go off to McDonald's because you're starving, get in some cardio every single day and you'll be good. These diets just dont' work.
Life style. That's actually the whole subject here..
My tail has been in the gym 3X a week for 18 months. I've lost a bunch of weight during that time and now I am losing a pound or two a month. If it takes another year to hit my mark, that's fine. I don't really care.
I'm constantly try to improve my workout routine. Add a little more of this; a little more of that. I work out with an eye toward strength, balance and energy.... and the all-important weight control.

UPDATE:
I modified my fast by eating one hard boiled egg and taking my electrolyte powder before today's work out.
Felt great! I set a new personal best in a couple of events and came home hungry but not starving-ass to death.
My workout takes one hour, with 30 activities. No rest between events. I just go bang-bang-bang from one to the next. Jack LaLanne used to teach that. The longest event is the 15 minute treadmill; I make it progressively tougher by adjusting speed and elevation. Shortest would be a neck stretch.
90 second plank. 60 second wall sit.... and all that stuff.

Old 12-02-2022, 12:32 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post

I agree with the lifestyle change. People think they are going to do something in a few weeks that will alter their body. You put on weight over time and you have to take it off the same way. Both diet and exercise are important, but few people can exercise enough to burn enough calories to make a difference. Do cardio for cardiovascular health. Lift heavy weights to build muscle to increase your basal metabolic rate. Doing a couple sets of curls with 10 lb. dumbells is not building muscle or increasing your metabolism. Most people in the gym are not working hard enough to make much difference, but at least they are doing something.

Old 12-02-2022, 01:05 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,510,717 times
188 is a good weight for you it seems. Your body seems to be telling you this but you don't want to hear it. Fasting is BAD! for this type thing.

I wish I had a skinny body type but I don't. I am 5'4" and weigh 135 lbs/ It is damn near perfect for me. I have the build of a potato picker from the old Slavic country!

I see some women my height that are about 110 or 120 lbs and they are just naturally less muscular and skinner of frame. I accept that.

Old 12-02-2022, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I agree with the lifestyle change. People think they are going to do something in a few weeks that will alter their body. You put on weight over time and you have to take it off the same way. Both diet and exercise are important, but few people can exercise enough to burn enough calories to make a difference. Do cardio for cardiovascular health. Lift heavy weights to build muscle to increase your basal metabolic rate. Doing a couple sets of curls with 10 lb. dumbells is not building muscle or increasing your metabolism. Most people in the gym are not working hard enough to make much difference, but at least they are doing something.
I've noticed that, too. Planet Fitness in the late morning Mon-Fri, seems to be crammed full of those people. I don't know what they see on their cellphones, but it must be something pretty good.
I once heard a lady fighting with her friend over the phone while idly doing leg curls.....

But there are some I just gotta salute. It took courage to walk through the front door, and they found the courage to do it.

Old 12-03-2022, 12:26 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Drink a protein shake before.
I normally do this stacked with a pre-workout mix on weekends and yes, this works. I say this because most days I work and I do need to eat to have energy to make it through the day. Now I don't eat big meals through out the day as I have a protein shake to start in the morning, a Yes Well soup with some snacks and fruits with a decent sized dinner. Weekdays I workout after dinner.

Old 12-03-2022, 08:34 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
I've been fasting for the last 2.5 years. For most of that time, I've done two 40 hour fasts per week. I've lost 50 lbs total, but have been pretty steady the last 1.5 years (even though I've never reached my goal weight).

I've also been playing competitive men's baseball for 9 years. Many of those games and practices the last 2.5 years have been on days I've been fasting. As long as I'm hydrated, I feel fine, and notice no difference vs. if I had been eating on a particular day.

Old 12-07-2022, 01:28 AM

7 posts, read 5,508 times
I think fasting only works well with low intensity exercise like walking or yoga. You burn less cals but the body burns more fat per calorie. HIIT may make a difference for burns but it still makes me feel a bit ill.

Old 12-11-2022, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No.13 View Post
I think fasting only works well with low intensity exercise like walking or yoga. You burn less cals but the body burns more fat per calorie. HIIT may make a difference for burns but it still makes me feel a bit ill.
In the end, fasting on workout days just didn't feel right to me.
What does work is a "micro breakfast". I do eat a little, but very little. I drink my usual 16 oz of water and some electrolytes and the workout then feels great. I work out around 10AM

The whole thing, to me, is nailing down a routine and life style that will be permanent. And that will get me down to a healthier weight.

Old 12-15-2022, 01:54 PM

88 posts, read 66,597 times
i have never fasted. With a proper diet and regular exercise, I see no point or value in fasting.

I do know that the day after a weights workout, my metabolism seems elevated and my appetite even more so. I can't imagine how I would feel if I were fasting. Regardless, I eat pretty healthy and workout 4-5 times a week (both weights and cardio).

I can drop weight if needed - I dropped roughly 20 pounds over the summer in about 2 months by tweaking my diet but I felt skinny and weak, lol. I gained back about 10 of those pounds and feel great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness