Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2023, 05:08 PM

487 posts, read 323,572 times

Advertisements

I used to mountain bike regularly until my buddy that I did most of my riding with had to give it up due to a foot injury. Then the suspension cracked on my full suspension bikes, so now I mostly ride the paved paths on my hardtail.

I've gone over the handlebars a few times, but never broke my collarbone. My worst wreck was a slow speed one. I had been riding the little side trails next to a fire road. They were all really easy, but then suddenly I was on one with a three foot dropoff coming. I first thought I would try to ride it out by shifting my weight back, then realized that wouldn't work, so I started tucking my head. Well, that was too late and I ended up landing right on top of my helmet, cracking it. There was a loud cracking sound from my helmet, but at least it wasn't my skull cracking. I was fortunate to come out of it with just a sore neck. Sure made me a believer in helmets!

The mountain bikers think the roadies are crazy for riding alongside cars zipping by at 35-55mph. The roadies think the mountain bikers are crazy for taking on all of those rocks, ruts and roots and falls. I guess both camps are right. At least if I wipe out on a mountain bike trail, it's probably going to be my fault. Whereas on the road, any inattentive or intoxicated driver can end my day in a hurry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2023, 08:18 PM

1,392 posts, read 1,399,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snackmaster View Post
I used to mountain bike regularly until my buddy that I did most of my riding with had to give it up due to a foot injury. Then the suspension cracked on my full suspension bikes, so now I mostly ride the paved paths on my hardtail.

I've gone over the handlebars a few times, but never broke my collarbone. My worst wreck was a slow speed one. I had been riding the little side trails next to a fire road. They were all really easy, but then suddenly I was on one with a three foot dropoff coming. I first thought I would try to ride it out by shifting my weight back, then realized that wouldn't work, so I started tucking my head. Well, that was too late and I ended up landing right on top of my helmet, cracking it. There was a loud cracking sound from my helmet, but at least it wasn't my skull cracking. I was fortunate to come out of it with just a sore neck. Sure made me a believer in helmets!

The mountain bikers think the roadies are crazy for riding alongside cars zipping by at 35-55mph. The roadies think the mountain bikers are crazy for taking on all of those rocks, ruts and roots and falls. I guess both camps are right. At least if I wipe out on a mountain bike trail, it's probably going to be my fault. Whereas on the road, any inattentive or intoxicated driver can end my day in a hurry.
Your last paragraph is so true. When I first started riding a rode bike, my mentor told me that most accidents with vehicles on the highways are fatal and if it is not fatal, you will probably wish it was.

Old 05-18-2023, 10:01 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,429,027 times
Quote:

Thanks for sharing this, I also agree the last paragraph is so true. I'm always shaking my head at those road bikers right next to those crazy drunk, speeding drivers. But, I will always be a mountain biker, I've had my worst wreck this time, but I'm healing (thank God), and will be back at it, most likely with pads, and maybe a helmet.

Old 05-18-2023, 10:58 AM

2,024 posts, read 979,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity2019 View Post
Thanks for sharing this, I also agree the last paragraph is so true. I'm always shaking my head at those road bikers right next to those crazy drunk, speeding drivers. But, I will always be a mountain biker, I've had my worst wreck this time, but I'm healing (thank God), and will be back at it, most likely with pads, and maybe a helmet.
And then there are the e-bikes which have put many people who should probably never be on a bike in the middle of everywhere.

Old 05-18-2023, 12:17 PM

10,547 posts, read 7,739,679 times
Quote:

Indeed.

Just read on social media of a woman breaking her arm on our favorite mountain biking trail.

"How did she do it"? My wife asked. The unfortunate did not specify how, I answered. Obviously she crashed! There's a million ways for it to happen, practically all of them are user error.

Old 05-18-2023, 02:59 PM

6,575 posts, read 4,964,901 times
Quote:
At least a helmet. I had no idea you weren't wearing one

I used to ride the rail trails without a helmet and got a scolding by a guy who told me the only times he got head injuries while riding was on the rail trails without a helmet.

I'd never go mountain biking without one.

Old 05-18-2023, 03:59 PM

487 posts, read 323,572 times
+1 on wearing a helmet. They're lightweight, unlike a football helmet. Plus, they keep you cooler in the summer by shading your head and they keep your head warmer in the winter (a little bit). If it rains a little, they help keep your head dry.

Old 05-19-2023, 11:42 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,429,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
And then there are the e-bikes which have put many people who should probably never be on a bike in the middle of everywhere.
hahahahahajaaha....I would not ride a e-bike, for what purpose. It's no exercise! I don't see the purpose for an e bike.

Old 05-21-2023, 03:02 AM

982 posts, read 539,238 times
Quote:
What???????????? What is that "maybe" tishllub!!!

Old 05-21-2023, 08:05 AM

10,547 posts, read 7,739,679 times
Quote:
hahahahahajaaha....I would not ride a e-bike, for what purpose. It's no exercise! I don't see the purpose for an e bike.
There are a lot of misconceptions about e-bikes. With pedal assist, the resistance can be adjusted to complete assist like a scooter or zero assist like a heavy bike. So, you actually can get quite a bit of exercise with one of them.

The purpose is to increase your range and get you out on a bike!

Consider a 10 mile round trip commute in which the return is uphill. Many people would simply not do it on a conventional bike because it's "too difficult". With an e-bike they might go for it. Result being, some exercise rather than none.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness