Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2023, 02:23 AM

3,604 posts, read 1,655,075 times

Advertisements

Have a rotator cuff injury from a hard fall a few months ago. Just wondering how others here injured theirs and how they fixed them surgically or non-surgically, as well as recovery time to get back to sports. Your input is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2023, 07:44 AM

9,382 posts, read 8,345,252 times
Bottom line is if it's torn it will need to be surgically repaired. If it is only strained you can heal it through rest and strengthening exercises. Go into an ortho and get an MRI to determine the next steps.

Old 06-22-2023, 07:55 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Mine was a rotator cuff impingement, that is, the top outer edge of the shoulder blade rubs against your rotator cuff beneath it. After x-rays and review by the orthopedic surgeon, he prescribed physical therapy. I had to go twice a week for an hour, and there did a variety of exercises, and the therapists did some painful manipulation. After 6 weeks I was as good as new.
For pain I used a combination of Salonpas and Voltaren. The Voltaren works great but is expensive, the best deal was at Costco which had a 2 large and 1 small tube for $39.99. It does have a strong but somewhat pleasant odor, so I used the Salonpas patches when at work.

Old 06-22-2023, 08:29 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
I believe there are 4 rotator cuff muscles. Unless one is completely torn through surgery is not absolutely necessary.

A neighbor and I were recently discussing her shoulder woes. She's an avid swimmer, now with both arms affected by tears.

A surgeon told her that since her range of motion remains 100% and she's not suffering from much pain, he recommends limiting the duration of activities that exacerbate the problem and physical therapy.

No surgery from a surgeon? A bit surprising and refreshing to hear this. The problem with surgery is that you typically will lose some range of motion.

My wife is in the same situation, with both shoulders causing her trouble. Me, just my dominant shoulder so far. Playing tennis is about the only activity that is real problematic, so I might have to give it up.

Old 06-22-2023, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Bottom line is if it's torn it will need to be surgically repaired. If it is only strained you can heal it through rest and strengthening exercises. Go into an ortho and get an MRI to determine the next steps.
Just got MRI...says "low-grade tear of upper subscapularis tendon". No labrum cartliage tear which is good. Did 1 physical therapy session and it felt better. Hoping this heals in time and I can get back to sports without surgery (tennis, surfing, fishing, gym)at some point in the future! The mental aspect of orthopedic injuries is the toughest!

Old 06-22-2023, 03:01 PM

9,382 posts, read 8,345,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman99 View Post
Just got MRI...says "low-grade tear of upper subscapularis tendon". No labrum cartliage tear which is good. Did 1 physical therapy session and it felt better. Hoping this heals in time and I can get back to sports without surgery (tennis, surfing, fishing, gym)at some point in the future! The mental aspect of orthopedic injuries is the toughest!
That's good news. A labrum tear would have put you out for a very long time. I don't know what constitutes a low grade tear vs a regular tear but it sounds to me like that could be just a rest/physical therapy fix. Did they tell you what your options are?

Old 06-22-2023, 06:02 PM

11,083 posts, read 17,527,537 times
My wife just went through all that. Because of a spinal stimulator she can't have an MRI. But CT scan showed damage. When Dr. did the arthroscopic surgery he said there was more damage than he thought. For one her bicep muscle had come loose. There was just too much damage to repair that way. After having to wait weeks after that surgery she had total shoulder replacement on April 27. Started rehab around 3 weeks later. She's doing better but they still want her to just move her arm up and down. No reaching out yet. The pain isn't as bad unless her "unthinking" husband, out of a 20+ year habit, reaches over the back of her recliner to pat her on the shoulder. And I've only done it maybe 3 times. And I've definitely heard about it!! lol
People told her, before surgery to try Bio-Freeze to help with the pain. Now, after surgery, we bought some Bio-Freeze Overnight Relief Patches. Really helped her sleep at night.

Old 06-22-2023, 06:09 PM

2,627 posts, read 1,170,699 times
Quote:
Have a rotator cuff injury from a hard fall a few months ago. Just wondering how others here injured theirs and how they fixed them surgically or non-surgically, as well as recovery time to get back to sports. Your input is appreciated!
OMG I remember I had a tear in my rotator cuff. The pain was excruciating it got to where I couldn't do anyghing not even when going to the bathroom, getting dressed and showering was a hell of a challenge too.

I refused to get surgery because I was terrified of how much more pain that would lead to. Well the Doctor told me if it's a tear cortizon injection in the right spot and physical therapy with the bands.

By the right spot he meant on the side of the shoulder not the front to the inside of the front. Injecting the cortizone in the front above the breast but in that crook part is the wrong spot as was done by another idiot Doctor and the cortozone went right to my heart it followed gravity which we all know is down.

Ah but the first Doctor was absolutely right that spot on the side right by where the shoulder starts is what works. I don't mean in the arm part where we get regular shots I'm talking right smack into the shoulder.

I have not had any problems since. Now today many Doctors stretch it out and the pain comes back. I told a relative of mine ditch your Doctor you shouldn't need 3 shots two weeks apart for the shoulder. That is for the knee but not shoulder.

So first look to make sure the MRI shows if it's a tear or bleeding.

Old 06-22-2023, 10:40 PM

8,330 posts, read 2,959,252 times
Quote:
Dislocated my shoulder and had a partial tear which did not require surgery unless of coarse I was a pitcher for the Dodgers. After a couple months I was able to start lifting light weights again and during the following months I kept increasing weight until I was able to lift heavy weights without any pain within about a year.

Still could never throw a baseball of football as fast as I did prior to the injury but I was ok with that.
Don’t let antibody tell you you need to have surgery right now. That is a load of bull. Give it a few months of therapy and strengthening exercises and go from there.

Surgery will restrict your mobility and recovery from surgery could take a long time so avoid it unless you absolutely need it, ie., if you given it enough time and therapy and you’re not where you want to be as far as the sports you are participating in. Be patient and good luck.

Last edited by Leona Valley; 06-22-2023 at 10:50 PM..

Old 06-23-2023, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
That's good news. A labrum tear would have put you out for a very long time. I don't know what constitutes a low grade tear vs a regular tear but it sounds to me like that could be just a rest/physical therapy fix. Did they tell you what your options are?
Had a few surgeries on the other shoulder for labrum tear about 30 years ago when I was in my early 20's and very active...very tough rehab on those...luckily still holding up after all these years. Yep, they are saying a rest/physical therapy fix since only a "low grade" tear of subscapularis tendon. Had 1 PT session so far and see a little improvement. Have exercises/stretches to do (so far only wall climbs, leaning on a stick, and arm hangs in circular motions-hope to start surgical tubing stretches soon also)...to help heal tendon...will do them all in this slow process and try my best to be patient which is mentally tough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness