Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2023, 07:51 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times

Advertisements

Having a cheat day (or a cheat meal) one day/week. That doesn't mean eating an entire pizza by yourself, but having one cheat meal/day where you eat something heavier than you normally would makes eating lighter the rest of the week sustainable.

I also think it's fine to skip breakfast food and substitute in a mug of seasoned bone broth, instead. I add garlic powder (sometimes minced fresh garlic), black pepper, tumeric and sea salt to mine.

Healthy diet for weight loss. Exercise for fitness. The combo will make you look and feel great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2023, 04:43 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
No matter what spiffy, super-fantastic eating-plan you go with to lose weight and improve your
health, you have to have some grit and discipline to both make it work and stick to it.

Diet sales-people telling you about their super-easy plan.....yeah, sure.

Old 05-31-2023, 06:23 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,053,480 times
Eliminate sugar and you will drop the pounds quickly.

Old 06-04-2023, 08:25 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Seems to me the word of the day would be "discipline" rather than "courage"

A friend of mine lost 50 lbs by eliminating carbs from his diet. Well, he still drinks alcohol at times. Won't give that up.

Old 06-04-2023, 09:23 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MELEO23 View Post
The first secret to loss weight is COURAGE.
I'm guessing the vaunted AI for google translate failed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
Most I know are still hoping for that magic pill so they can eat all/anything they want. If it is not easy it isn't going to happen.
They'll have a magic pill by next century.

Everybody has a magic heart-rate that differs. Once you reach it, you have to sustain it for the magic minutes which can be 6-22 minutes because it's different for everybody. If yours is 14 minutes, then at that point your brain releases hormones that trigger your liver to release enzymes that start breaking down fat.

If they can ever isolate them, and then if they can ever synthetically produce them, and then figure out how to put them in pill form, you'll have a magic weight loss pill.

They have synthetically reproduced a number of hormones and enzymes, but they're still working on dozens of others and have been for decades.

Note that some hormones and enzymes are still injection only in spite of the fact that they were discovered decades ago, because they still can't figure out how to put it into pill form.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H8t3rs View Post
For well over 30 years I've had an intense exercise program, but I was always heavy set because I ate everything that I wanted (everything!). Just recently I changed my diet and now the weight is falling off and I am keeping a lot of muscle from the decades of exercising. Why? It's simple I just stay under the recommended daily calorie intake for a grown man, and I still exercise the same. There's no pills, no gimmick diet, no quick fixes. Diet is #1!!

Though, I am embarrassed that it took me decades to come to this easy conclusion.
Good job!

Keep it up and have fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Seems to me the word of the day would be "discipline" rather than "courage"

A friend of mine lost 50 lbs by eliminating carbs from his diet. Well, he still drinks alcohol at times. Won't give that up.
It isn't carbs, it's excess carbs. Americans consume way too many starchy foods and sugary foods, plus they consume diet and low-fat stuff that actually hinders weight loss.

Old 06-04-2023, 01:46 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
It isn't carbs, it's excess carbs. Americans consume way too many starchy foods and sugary foods, plus they consume diet and low-fat stuff that actually hinders weight loss.
The world subsists on carbs. In the Germanic countries, including Scandinavia, it's potatoes. The French elevated the lowly potato to an art, by adding cheese and creme sauces. Eastern Europe is big on potatoes, rice and more recently (very relatively speaking): noodles. The Italians love their pasta. Bread, also, is pretty much a required component of daily meals throughout Europe. Oceania is big on taro root.

Other parts of the world subsist on yams, cassava, and other starchy roots. Plantains are big in parts of Latin America and the caribbean. Ditto: potatoes. Beans of various sorts are common around the world. Traditional in the Americas before the European presence were corn, beans, sweet potatoes, and from the Andes: potatoes, amaranth, and quinoa, as well as a native specie of bean. Manioc (aka: cassava or yucca) in the Amazon. Asia is big on rice, and also noodles.

Just try to travel to any part of the world on a low-carb diet. It's very difficult, if not impossible, to do.

Old 06-05-2023, 05:57 AM

9,847 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The world subsists on carbs. In the Germanic countries, including Scandinavia, it's potatoes. The French elevated the lowly potato to an art, by adding cheese and creme sauces. Eastern Europe is big on potatoes, rice and more recently (very relatively speaking): noodles. The Italians love their pasta. Bread, also, is pretty much a required component of daily meals throughout Europe. Oceania is big on taro root.

Other parts of the world subsist on yams, cassava, and other starchy roots. Plantains are big in parts of Latin America and the caribbean. Ditto: potatoes. Beans of various sorts are common around the world. Traditional in the Americas before the European presence were corn, beans, sweet potatoes, and from the Andes: potatoes, amaranth, and quinoa, as well as a native specie of bean. Manioc (aka: cassava or yucca) in the Amazon. Asia is big on rice, and also noodles.

Just try to travel to any part of the world on a low-carb diet. It's very difficult, if not impossible, to do.
That's all true but many people who need to lose weight find that reducing those starchy high sugar carbs while increasing healthy fats is their "secret" to losing pounds and getting to a healthy weight.

Just like most people can tolerate drinking alcohol with no ill effects, alcoholics must have a no alcohol policy to stay healthy. Same with people who have a low tolerance level for carbs, they gain weight if they eat like normal people.

Old 06-05-2023, 07:22 AM

25,554 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
The world subsists on carbs..................Just try to travel to any part of the world on a low-carb diet. It's very difficult, if not impossible, to do.
When you think about it, it would be almost impossible to sustain the world on protein alone. As it is, fully 30% of the US is designated as pasture land. That doesn't mean it is being used as pasture, but it does mean it is not being farmed.
100 acres of farmland could generate a lot of food; 100 acres of ranch land would not generate nearly as much. I think that observation is behind the move to drive people toward a plant based diet. My own diet leans toward meat.

Old 07-01-2023, 03:10 PM

2,025 posts, read 3,345,213 times
Use your brain, and think about your hunger.

Eat when hungry, stop as soon as you are full. Learn what true hunger is. Especially if you have "dieted" your whole life - like me - and still remained fat.

Use the 80-20 eating rule - Eat the most nutritious foods 80 percent of the time, and have a serving of your favorite treat the other 20 percent.

Don't restrict. Chances are you will crave, and binge.

And remember, the slower you lose the weight, the better chance you will keep it off. After all, that really is the biggest problem with weight loss - keeping it off. You are really learning the new habits this way.

There really is no secret, but these work for me.

Last edited by Jellybean50; 07-01-2023 at 03:32 PM..

Old 07-01-2023, 03:15 PM

2,025 posts, read 3,345,213 times
Quote:

This is so true.

My guy's parents came here from Cuba. He eats rice and beans nearly every day, with vegetables and a small amount of meat or seafood added to it. The meat is more the "side" in it. And he's never been fat. And he eats a huge bowl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness