Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2008, 06:10 PM

240 posts, read 1,265,432 times

Advertisements

ok I know most of you guys are going to say, "sorry it depends on your genes" which might be the only answer but i do understand that there are no things in this world that could make me grow taller. but is there anything i can eat/do more to contribute to my growth? i'm 15, 5'6 3/4 (168 cm) is that short? i think i'm short .... and over this summer, i'm looking to gain a couple more inches. so what are some things i can do or eat more to contribute to my growth? i'm sure there's at least one thing or a couple more
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 06:46 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,649,051 times
You have to look at the height of your parents/siblings/grandparents etc. You didn't say if you are male or female, but I am assuming male. Boys can really grow at different rates and keep growing into their early 20's. I would encourage you to eat a well balanced diet of protein, good whole grain carbs, fruit and vegetables. drink plenty of milk and water. get good exercise. our oldest son is 19 and about 6'4". his dad is 6'2", I am 5'5". our younger son is 13 and about 5'8". Our older son grew a lot in one year(5 to 6 inches when he was about 14 or so) our younger son is growing slow and steady. everyone is different.

Old 06-01-2008, 07:17 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,171,933 times
Just hang on the Monkey bar for an hour a day (jk)

Generally, children are always taller then their parents, that's all i know. As far as getting taller, i don't think there is anything you can do once you're fully grown.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:52 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,133,406 times
I always thought it would be good to be six feet tall. My dad was 6'4". I eventually hit six feet, but not until sometime after high school. I think this height thing can be somewhat unpredictable, though. I wish you good luck. I think a lot of younger people (older ones, too) don't get enough calcium and vitamin D. That's what I'd be taking. Don't overdo it with the calcium. As a younger guy who is growing a lot, you could get by with quite a bit of vitamin D. Just the same, I wouldn't take more than 2000 UI. Mine are 1000 IU which I take twice a day. This won't make you grow more, but your bones will be in better shape.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:12 PM

1,240 posts, read 3,970,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWJERSEY1 View Post
ok I know most of you guys are going to say, "sorry it depends on your genes" which might be the only answer but i do understand that there are no things in this world that could make me grow taller. but is there anything i can eat/do more to contribute to my growth? i'm 15, 5'6 3/4 (168 cm) is that short? i think i'm short .... and over this summer, i'm looking to gain a couple more inches. so what are some things i can do or eat more to contribute to my growth? i'm sure there's at least one thing or a couple more
As far as I'm aware there is no way to force a growth spurt. You're very young- just watch, you'll hit a growth spurt within the next few years. Relax about it.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:15 PM

471 posts, read 1,509,069 times
Great advice above. It's true. You're young, 15. You'll be growing till you're 21 at least. So don't stress on it. You're just about 5'7'' now and that's not bad at all.

But here is a funny thing I did hear once... from a woman from South Korea who said basketball and jumping rope made a difference for her nieces/nephews. She swears they were the tallest in the family these kids, and they were huge basketball players. She wondered if it was doing the jumping motion all the time. I have no idea, but thought I'd pass that on...

But again, no worries. Just keep yourself healthy, you're already at a fine height and you're only going to grow taller...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness