Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2023, 08:20 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,647,873 times

Advertisements

I know I keep saying this, but it's amazing to me how opinions on lifting weights has changed so dramatically from when I was in my youth compared to these days. When I was a young teenager lifting weights was still considered mostly a cosmetic/vanity thing and not necessary for fitness unlike cardio (aerobics, jogging, etc.). Also back then things like protein powders were considered useless and a waste of money.

Great to see lifting weights has achieved equal stature to cardio and other forms of exercise for overall health. In fact I'd say lifting weights is superior to many forms of exercise especially as one gets older. Good to see research supporting how important lifting weights is for all ages especially the elderly.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/welln...lifting-aging/

Quote:
Contrary to popular wisdom among many gym-goers and even some scientists, healthy people in their 60s, 70s and beyond can safely start lifting weights and rapidly build substantial muscle mass, strength and mobility.

A new study of resistance exercise and the elderly found that even people in their 80s and 90s — who hadn’t weight trained before — showed significant gains after starting a supervised program of lifting weights three times a week.

“It shows that healthy older people can certainly respond to resistance training, that their muscles are still plastic,” said Tommy Lundberg, an exercise researcher at the Karolinska Institute in Sweden, who was not involved in the study.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2023, 08:49 PM

3,566 posts, read 1,499,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I know I keep saying this, but it's amazing to me how opinions on lifting weights has changed so dramatically from when I was in my youth compared to these days. When I was a young teenager lifting weights was still considered mostly a cosmetic/vanity thing and not necessary for fitness unlike cardio (aerobics, jogging, etc.). Also back then things like protein powders were considered useless and a waste of money.

Great to see lifting weights has achieved equal stature to cardio and other forms of exercise for overall health. In fact I'd say lifting weights is superior to many forms of exercise especially as one gets older. Good to see research supporting how important lifting weights is for all ages especially the elderly.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/welln...lifting-aging/
Cardio for longevity and the heart. Weight training and mobility work to maintain healthy bones and keep you mobile.

Actually, no need to overdo either. Science now shows 1 minute of cardio per week is all you need to increase your VO2 max. Provided, that is, that this 1 minute is basically all-out (like sprint for 1 minute as if you're running away from a hungry lion).

Similarly with weights, you can see great results from 1 set per muscle group if you take it to failure. And again, I don't mean volitional failure. I mean, you push that weight as hard as you can as if your life depends on it, and it still falls back onto you.

Old 12-13-2023, 10:20 AM

33,230 posts, read 26,440,532 times
Absolutely it's never too late to lift weights. I'm now less than a month away from turning 70 and I'm getting stronger all the time. Weight training will prevent muscle loss and loss of strength and keep your bones strong as well. Combine weight training with mobility and flexibility movements, and enough aerobic activity and aside from serious illness or accident you'll stay physically capable all of your life.

Last edited by Michael Way; 12-13-2023 at 11:33 AM..

Old 12-13-2023, 11:19 AM

2,276 posts, read 3,077,907 times
Every older person should read this:

https://startingstrength.com/article...th-set-me-free

Old 12-13-2023, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShampooBanana View Post
Every older person should read this:

https://startingstrength.com/article...th-set-me-free
That's an inspiring story of what weight training can do for you as an older person.

Old 12-14-2023, 07:05 PM

3 posts, read 1,962 times
A good read.Never too old imho

Old 12-14-2023, 07:56 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Lifting weights is important for controlling insulin resistance, something that can develop as people age. Building and maintaining lean muscle mass helps maintain or improve insulin sensitivity.

Old 12-20-2023, 10:52 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,576,536 times
Lift weights so you can lift your arse off the toilet

Old 12-24-2023, 08:25 PM

YOU Can be an Athlete of Aging! (Yes, You Can.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6BiOp34_WA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness