Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 12:35 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,258,342 times

Advertisements

I've been thinking about throwing some yoga into the mix, but I don't really know too much about it. Can any of you recommend me some good books, dvds, websites or whatever that will help with the basics? I see in the Yoga vs. Pilates thread DaBeez mentions "Warrior Yoga", that sounds like it could be up my alley.

Any Yoga 101-ish material would be appreciated. Thanks, folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 12:42 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,161,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rhino View Post
I've been thinking about throwing some yoga into the mix, but I don't really know too much about it. Can any of you recommend me some good books, dvds, websites or whatever that will help with the basics? I see in the Yoga vs. Pilates thread DaBeez mentions "Warrior Yoga", that sounds like it could be up my alley.

Any Yoga 101-ish material would be appreciated. Thanks, folks.
You totally should! I love Yoga. I dance so it helps with my flexibility as well as my balance. I'm also a trainer, on the side, so it helps me in that aspect with stamina and endurance, core strength. Personally, I like bikram Yoga
Bikram Yoga - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
But really....it's all good.

Do you have a gym membership? A lot of times gyms will offer yoga in a class...I'd do that first to see if you even like it. After that, yoga incorporates the same set of ideas and movements regardless of the type. When I can't get to the gym I do mine at home to the fit channel

Here's another informative yoga site...

Yoga Journal: Yoga Poses, Classes, Meditation, and Life - On and Off the Mat - Namaste

Old 01-13-2009, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
Do you have a gym membership? A lot of times gyms will offer yoga in a class...I'd do that first to see if you even like it. e

I do and I see that they do offer a class, I think I will check one out soon. Thank you for the links, I appreciate it.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:18 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times
El, you should try the free class at your gym. They are probably offering level I and level II Hatha Yoga which is good for beginners. If you have any athletic background at all, I suggest bypassing the level I and just go for level II.

The Warrior Yoga I do is Vinyasa Yoga which is much more flowing in nature and more along the lines of strength building compared to other forms of yoga. Warmup is several rounds of whats called Sun Salutations which even by itself is a great workout. Ive been teaching taichi for almost 15 years and part of the warmup I use for my classes is yoga.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:19 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,442,839 times
You can go to your gym and take a basic class.

I used to love Yoga until I become broke.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:48 AM

For those of you playing at home, I finally went to a yoga class yesterday. I liked it and I hope I can make it to one a week, which could be hard.

It was challenging enough and kind of funny to think that at times I was struggling with some of these movements while the old lady next to me managed them easily.

Most things were easy to do (I had trouble with some of the balancing ones) but still nothing to scoff at. As stupid as it sounds, I did feel very strong doing yoga, like I was made very aware of my muscles which was a good feeling. Afterwards I felt very relaxed and calm but like I had pushed myself. Again, a good feeling.

So yeah, real men do yoga.

Old 02-07-2009, 09:53 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,161,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rhino View Post
For those of you playing at home, I finally went to a yoga class yesterday. I liked it and I hope I can make it to one a week, which could be hard.

It was challenging enough and kind of funny to think that at times I was struggling with some of these movements while the old lady next to me managed them easily.

Most things were easy to do (I had trouble with some of the balancing ones) but still nothing to scoff at. As stupid as it sounds, I did feel very strong doing yoga, like I was made very aware of my muscles which was a good feeling. Afterwards I felt very relaxed and calm but like I had pushed myself. Again, a good feeling.

So yeah, real men do yoga.
That's so awesome you finally made it.....the balancing positions are probably the most dificult but, also the best for you. Creating core strength is one of the best things you can do for yourself physically and otherwise. Very proud of you!! Keep it up "macho man"

Old 02-07-2009, 10:26 AM

4,550 posts, read 11,694,513 times
Yoga is great! I have my own little night vinyasa I do for my core strength that I do almost every night with my dog

Old 02-09-2009, 05:40 PM

947 posts, read 3,138,600 times
Yoga is all about the breath. If you are not breathing you will have difficulty with the balancing and the poses. I have seen some old men and women and some large women hold some beautiful poses.

Also, if you look at someone who is wobbling. You will also wobble. I always try to hold my gaze at the floor or straight at some other immovable dot in the celiing so as to keep focused.

I looove Yoga!!!

Old 02-09-2009, 07:42 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
Yoga seems to do so many things for me--yes, the strength training is a big part of it and I like the improvements in my muscle tone and posture, but even more so is the peace of mind I take away after class. My instructor always does an incredible guided meditation at the end, and whatever problems, stress or bad mood I came to class with just vanishes like a cloud of gray smoke...I leave class in love with the world--and myself.

Peace of mind, what bliss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness