Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2023, 09:29 AM

6,416 posts, read 1,427,778 times

Advertisements

First, does anybody else mountain bike? I really enjoy it, and ride easy/moderate trails in my city in the woods (the woods that are left, with all the development happening). I enjoy riding and use it for cardiovascular exercise.
I had an accident a couple times, but the last one yesterday was rough. I went riding through a path dropping through a culvert of stones and going fast in the rain (foolish) crossed into the stones and wrecked. Cut up from the stone (I was in shorts and short sleeve shirt), bruised badly and cuts from the stone, bruised hip, left hand is inflamed and very painful to make a fist. I will heal, and was very thankful I did not break any bones. I saw some videos where mountian bikers where really injured badly and one was paralyzed from a fall in the woods! Cut up, and bloody, I still finished my ride through the woods in pain foolishly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2023, 10:34 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
I mountain bike 2-3 times a week, and love it. I ride in the local foothills and usually on the same trails, so at this point I know where the more dicey spots are and go very carefully over them. Still, I wipe out every once in a while. No serious injuries to this point, just scrapes and bruises.

However, I have had friends who had injuries such as broken collarbones, and one of my friends was out riding when he crossed paths with someone who had just broken a leg and had to be airlifted out. So serious injuries do happen.

Sorry to hear about your crash and glad you weren't more badly hurt. My only advice is to be especially careful in wet/muddy/rocky locations, but you know that already. Consider wearing protective gear (not that I do this myself; I ride in shorts and short-sleeved jersey). Other than that, mountain biking is inherently dangerous. Have to accept that.

Last edited by saibot; 05-09-2023 at 10:56 AM..

Old 05-09-2023, 11:15 AM

4,620 posts, read 4,887,043 times
Gravel/cross is as close as I get.

I friends and her fiancé were DH riding last year at a ski mountain and he dislocated his shoulder. They had to hike down the hill then wait 2 hours for the ambulance. Then follow the ambulance 50 miles to the hospital.

Old 05-09-2023, 02:51 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,570,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity2019 View Post
First, does anybody else mountain bike? I really enjoy it, and ride easy/moderate trails in my city in the woods (the woods that are left, with all the development happening). I enjoy riding and use it for cardiovascular exercise.
I had an accident a couple times, but the last one yesterday was rough. I went riding through a path dropping through a culvert of stones and going fast in the rain (foolish) crossed into the stones and wrecked. Cut up from the stone (I was in shorts and short sleeve shirt), bruised badly and cuts from the stone, bruised hip, left hand is inflamed and very painful to make a fist. I will heal, and was very thankful I did not break any bones. I saw some videos where mountian bikers where really injured badly and one was paralyzed from a fall in the woods! Cut up, and bloody, I still finished my ride through the woods in pain foolishly.

My husband likes West Ridge Trail but it closes with rain or storm damage. He has been mountain biking with a couple of friends since way before he met me. He knows a lot of intermediate & more advanced mountain biking trails. I know he is skilled & always wears a helmet, but it doesn’t stop me from worrying about him a little. He has fallen in the past, but he knows what he is doing & tells me he knows how to fall to avoid a bad injury. He has never been seriously hurt. I hope he wouldn’t go as fast in the rain tho…if at all. Ofc the rain probably had a lot to do with your fall O.P.^^

The paralyzed thing is super scary but that sounds like somebody who wasn’t wearing a helmet. That can happen on a regular bike ride too.

Old 05-09-2023, 04:25 PM

1,392 posts, read 1,398,417 times
I have been a road biker for decades. About 10 years ago, I decided road biking was too dangerous. ( lost a few acquaintances, mostly run over by inattentive drivers) I bought a mountain bike and I just couldn’t get into the sport. I loved the smooth and fast road bike aspect and couldn’t make the switch to the off road ride. Lots of injuries in mountain biking, which bothered me some too. ( I have made the switch in the past few years to just running, now there is a sport I love. Easy, peasy, no equipment, just run out the front door of wherever I am going to spend the night, city or rural)

Old 05-09-2023, 04:43 PM

6,416 posts, read 1,427,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latunafish View Post
I have been a road biker for decades. About 10 years ago, I decided road biking was too dangerous. ( lost a few acquaintances, mostly run over by inattentive drivers) I bought a mountain bike and I just couldn’t get into the sport. I loved the smooth and fast road bike aspect and couldn’t make the switch to the off road ride. Lots of injuries in mountain biking, which bothered me some too. ( I have made the switch in the past few years to just running, now there is a sport I love. Easy, peasy, no equipment, just run out the front door of wherever I am going to spend the night, city or rural)
That's cool, but I switched from running to mountain biking! Easier on my knees, but more dangerous too.

Old 05-09-2023, 06:15 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
MB is dangerous. My husband had a relative who died in a MB accident. Very tragic and sad...

Old 05-09-2023, 08:09 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity2019 View Post
That's cool, but I switched from running to mountain biking! Easier on my knees, but more dangerous too.
I do both of them, mostly running. The effect on my knees is about the same for either.

No extreme stuff for me with the bike. Several people I know have had bad accidents biking.

#8 on this list is a favorite one, also at the limits of my ability and risk tolerance.

https://www.alltrails.com/us/alaska/mountain-biking

Old 05-10-2023, 07:23 AM

4,502 posts, read 2,651,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
MB is dangerous. My husband had a relative who died in a MB accident. Very tragic and sad...
It depends on what you're doing.

I ride on gravel trails that sometimes have some roots or big rocks. It'd be hard to get any more injured than a skinned knee.

if you define mountain biking as bombing down unimproved trails at 25 mph and catching air every few hundred feet, then yeah, that can be dangerous. So don't do that.

The blanket statement "mountain biking is dangerous" is unnecessarily alarmist and overly general.

Old 05-10-2023, 08:13 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
It depends on what you're doing.

I ride on gravel trails that sometimes have some roots or big rocks. It'd be hard to get any more injured than a skinned knee.

if you define mountain biking as bombing down unimproved trails at 25 mph and catching air every few hundred feet, then yeah, that can be dangerous. So don't do that.

The blanket statement "mountain biking is dangerous" is unnecessarily alarmist and overly general.
As they say, 100%.

My wife mountain bikes with zero tolerance for risk. It's no more dangerous than road biking for her. Actually less dangerous since there's no risk of a car accidentally running her over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness