Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 03:19 PM

43 posts, read 538,016 times

Advertisements

I joined a gym about 6 months ago. The manager set me up with the following workout routine: 3x/week do weight routine (see below), plus 30 min on treadmill at 3% incline; 1-2x/week do 30 min of treadmill at 3% incline and do 25min on elliptical

Weight Lifting Routine
Leg extension (30 lbs, reps 20 x 2)
Leg curls (30 lbs, reps 20 x 2)
Seated rows-w cable (40 lbs, reps 20 x 2)
Chest press (40 lbs, reps 20 x 2)
Shoulder press (10 lbs, reps 20 x 2)
Tricep ext-v cable (40 lbs, reps 20 x 2)
Bicep curl-free weights (10 lbs, reps 20 x 2)

I did this routine for 3 weeks and got burned out. I was so sore that it hurt to sit down. I was also bored with spending that much time on the elliptical and treadmill. I took 4 months off and have been back at the gym for about 2 months. Now, when I work out I usually do the elliptical or treadmill for 30 minutes and then do some free weight exercises for another 15-20 (would have to describe them, don't know what they are called). On the treadmill, I cyle from 0 to 3% incline about every 5 minutes...trying to keep my heart rate from getting too high. I was told that I need to keep it at 155 (I am 31 yrs old). I do the same with the elliptical. I generally workout 4-5x a week.

I am working out to 1) feel healthy and better about myself and 2) to tone up. Although I feel better about myself for working out, I am not toning up and am starting to wonder what I am doing wrong. I want to maximize my workout. So what is the best way to do that? Or, what combinations of things should I use? Do I really need to spend 55 min on the elliptical/treadmill? And is all that jazz about heart rate true? I was told if I exceed 155 that I will start to burn lean tissue (a no no).

Background: I have limited experience with machines. I use to work out with a personal trainer using free weights and was really successful with that. But she told me what to do. On my own, I am sometimes clueless. I prefer free weights (and can remember some of the exercises but not all). I know that the weight loss (that I also desire) needs to really come from my diet. But don't really know what is a good caloric goal for myself. Any advise there would also be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 03:46 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,342,700 times
Your going to get a million different suggestions because nothing written in stone and different things work for diff people but IMO your overtraining with weights which is why your not getting tone.

When you train with weights you 'break down" muscle tissue when it recovers it recovers stronger,fuller,etc but if you overtrain the tissue never recovers it can infact become even "saggy" as its in perpetual state of being broken down.

I imagine your a woman by the routine?

I myself only train each bodypart once a week because it simply works better as far as muscle goes . I used to go more but got less as was overtrained and who wants to live in the gym anyway.

You need to do more sets per bodypart not many more but 2 isnt enough and if you can break down your workout to something like

Mon- chest -triceps
Wed- Shoulders-legs ( I dont do legs lol but I know women enjoy doing them)
Fri- back-Biceps

I wouldnt do more them MAX 30 min cardio and keep in mind you can walk,etc . I go to area Porkys gym early in AM before work and rarely do cardio as out of time or simply dont feel like it lol. I know how to build muscle,tone up but cardio isnt my thing.
If you tone up more you will lose weight easier if thats what you want and keep it off easier as muscle simply burns more fuel than fat.

I dont subscribe to living on treadmills,etc like some do its self defeating and again why live for this but others here might disagree .

I train at Porkys gym ( the name attracted me lol) if you ever see some guy working out while eating a hot fudge sundae come by and say hello

Old 07-09-2008, 05:01 PM

11 posts, read 44,367 times
I have had more success with weight training than with cardio. I absolutely killed myself in college riding an exercise bike 45-60 minutes daily and still couldn't drop those last ten, or have flat abs. Then I switched to a much better routine (for me) which focuses on weight resistance. I use a 2-times-per-week routine of:

(Day1)Back & Bi's (Day2)Chest&Tri's (Day3)Glutes,Hams,Quads & Calves. Repeat.
[(Day4) is the same as (Day1) etc., thereby allowing 72 hrs. recovery for each muscle group.]

Abs worked from the bottom and the top have given me the best results. I have never had much success with any machine for this body part.

I don't feel that there are any reasons to stick to free-weights only vs. machines, actually I think machines are better for keeping you in proper form and thus preventing injury.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:41 PM

938 posts, read 3,507,513 times
I agree...if you were sore all of the time, you were working out too much. The first week or so of starting a workout routine will generally make you pretty sore, but after that you shouldn't be sore at all after workouts (unless you increase the intensity, of course). Being sore is a function of tearing your muscle, when it repairs itself you get stronger, but if you keep breaking it down and not letting it grow you will always be sore. I also personally believe in giving muscle groups at least one day to rest in between workouts, and to do this I lift weights M-W-F and run Tu-Thu-Sat. I'm a far better runner compared to when I ran 6 days a week and a lot stronger than when I lifted 4 or 5 days a week.

Another thing, what is your diet like? If you are are lacking in protein it would make the problem of working out too much even worse. Your body will need some extra protein to repair those torn muscles, and you won't get stronger or more tone if you don't have it. I've been recommending this is most threads and I'll recommend it to you...calculate up what you eat every day in protein (and calories for that matter) and compare it to what you need, then adjust accordingly.

Once you get your diet in check, you should probably start out on a low intensity workout of some time (less reps, lighter weights, fewer exercises, less time doing cardio) then slowly increase all of the above. I really don't think you should be sore for more than a few days or a week, and if you continue to be sore you are doing too much. Then, once you get up to a level you like and get to a point where you can easily do your workout, use heavier weights. I'm admittedly not a personal trainer, but has worked pretty well for me.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:57 PM

I just re-read your post again. If you are trying to lose weight and gain muscle, you really need to control your diet pretty well. I did a quick google search for "daily calorie needs" and found a few online calculators, ran my stats through them and they gave me decent results. Here is one I used:

Calorie Calculator - Daily Caloric Needs

It got me to within 100 calories of the number I got from Sports Nutrition by Nancy Clark (a book I recommend if you are serious about this) so I think it will give you a pretty good ball park. If you switch your diet around so you are taking in a few hundred less calories a day then you burn, you'll loose weight, and if you are eating adequate (not too much at the same time) protein, you'll tone up pretty quick. One pound of fat is 3,500 calories, so in theory if you eat 500 less calories a day then you are burning, you'll drop a pound of fat a week.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:10 PM

645 posts, read 1,965,098 times
There is no such thing as toning, but you can build muscle and lose bodyfat.

As stated in the previous posts DIET, DIET, DIET is the key.

In my opinion getting in shap is 70% Diet and 30% exercise.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiso View Post
You need to do more sets per bodypart not many more but 2 isnt enough and if you can break down your workout to something like

Mon- chest -triceps
Wed- Shoulders-legs ( I dont do legs lol but I know women enjoy doing them)
Fri- back-Biceps

I wouldnt do more them MAX 30 min cardio and keep in mind you can walk,etc.
After considering what y'all have advised and looking up some different workout routines online (ExRx (Exercise Prescription) on the Net), I think I have come up with a good routine and wanted to see what you think.

I decided to weight train MWF focusing on the different muscle groups.

M (chest and triceps): Incline benchpress with dumbells; tricep extensions with dumbells; tricep kickback with dumbells

W (shoulders and legs): lever shoulder press; upright row with dumbells; lever leg extensions; lever leg/hamstring curls

F (back and biceps): cable seated rows; bicep curls with dumbells

I am planning on doing 1-3 sets of 12-15 reps. I was reading about warm-up sets using 50% of the weight....what does everyone think about that? I plan on starting the weight training tomorrow.

On Tuesday and/or Thursday, I will probably just do 30 on the elliptical/treadmill. I am going to shoot for one day of the cardio only, because my husband and I usually go on a hike over the weekend...but I would like to eventually be at two days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FmntGirl View Post
Abs worked from the bottom and the top have given me the best results. I have never had much success with any machine for this body part.
You mention ab work, which I definitley need but am not sure where to fit into my workout (when, how often, etc). I found some exercises online that I was going to do to work all of my abs. Floor situps cause me pain because of my lower back...it feels almost as if it is bruised at times. It gets worse with weight gain. So I found other ab exercises:

Vertical leg-hip raise
Ball crunch
Side bends with dumbells
Lying twist w/ball between legs
Ball hyperextension
Lever back extension

How many of these exercises should I do? How often? Reps/sets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OA 5599 View Post
Another thing, what is your diet like? If you are are lacking in protein it would make the problem of working out too much even worse. Your body will need some extra protein to repair those torn muscles, and you won't get stronger or more tone if you don't have it. I've been recommending this is most threads and I'll recommend it to you...calculate up what you eat every day in protein (and calories for that matter) and compare it to what you need, then adjust accordingly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OA 5599 View Post
I just re-read your post again. If you are trying to lose weight and gain muscle, you really need to control your diet pretty well. Calorie Calculator - Daily Caloric Needs
Thank you oh so much for the web link. I looked at it, and based on all of the variables, I should shoot for 2048 calories a day to lose weight. I wrote down what I ate yesterday, and I came in under that. I hope I don't regret this, but in an effort to really get help, I have fully disclosed what I ate below. PLEASE BE EASY ON ME! The breakfast and lunch are pretty typical (as in, I always eat these same foods). I hate breakfast but have forced myself to eat protein bars to get something in my stomach. I always eat a big dinner, but what I eat varies. Right now, since school is out, I am not working. So, I have been working out in the mornings (around 9:30) or in the afternoon (around 3:00). When I am working, I workout after school (between 3 and 5). I generally eat dinner around 7pm and go to bed around 11:30pm.

I have calculated nutrient breakdown on what I actually ate (versus a serving size). So if ate 2 pieces of bread, I have the calories for the two pieces combined listed.

Breakfast (total calories: 140)
South Beach High Protein Cereal Bar (140 cal, 5g fat, 15g carb, 10g protn)
16oz warm green tea
about 16 oz water (during and after workout later that morning)

Lunch (total calories: 536)
Ham Sandwich with chips and fruit
Ham (about 2 oz, 110 cal, 8g fat, 0.8g carb, 7g prot)
Cheese (1 slice, 80 cal, 6g fat, 0 carb, 4g prot)
Bread (2 slices, 160 cal, 2g fat, 28g carb, 6g prot)
BBQ chips (140 cal, 8g fat, 16g carb, 2g prot)
Strawberries (46 cal)--actually that was a snack later in the day
1 diet soda

Dinner (total calories: 1118)
Spaghetti with ground turkey in marinara plus garlic bread and no-sugar added Klondike bar for dessert
Pasta (1.5 servings, 315 cal, 1.5g fat, 61.5g carbs, 10.5g prot)
Sauce (2.5 servings, 200 cal, 5g fat, 32.5g carbs, 5g rprot)
93-7% ff Turkey (about 133 cal)--had to guess, don't have container
Garlic Bread (2 slices, 300 cal, 18g fat, 30g carb, 6g prot)
Klondike (170 cal, 9g fat, 21g carb, 4g prot)--dessert after dinner
1 diet soda before dinner
16 oz water with dinner

Grand calorie total: 1794
This is under the 2048 that I was shooting for. Should I be eating more? And better combinations?

Last edited by 95butterflies; 07-10-2008 at 01:58 PM..

Old 07-10-2008, 02:57 PM

You should probably be eating a little more. You'll lose weight slower, but feel a little better and have more energy.

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and you really shouldn't skimp on it, especially if you are trying to lose weight and get in better physical shape. When your body needs energy the most is during the day, when you are up and about and during your workout. Because of this, you should eat a big breakfast and lunch, and a light dinner. The typical American practice of a huge dinner and smaller meals throughout the day is one of the reasons we are a fat country. If you don't eat enough throughout the day you'll be starving by the time dinner comes around, and a quite likely to pig out and blow your diet (I know I used to do this all the time!).

I'd recommend moving more of those dinner calories around to breakfast and lunch. I really don't like eating a big breakfast either, so what I do is have a glass of OJ, a container of yogurt, and a bowl of cereal for breakfast, which leaves me stuffed. About an hour or two later I get hungry, and thats when I eat a banana. If I don't have the banana I'm usually starving by lunch. Snacking is also a good way to keep from starving...I personally snack on dried fruit and homemade bran muffins throughout the day, and baby carrots if I'm at home. You won't be starving by dinner this way, and are likely to eat less total. If you feel hungry during the day, have a healthy snack and you'll often find it fills you right up. You'll find that if you properly budget your calorie intake with healthy food, even with a few hundred less calories a day to lose weight, you'll be eating a lot of food and won't be hungry. You don't have to starve to diet.

Old 07-10-2008, 04:15 PM

471 posts, read 1,509,240 times
Hi 95butterflies, my only suggestion is not to let go of the cardio. That is just as important (maybe a bit more) as using weights. Cardio improves your entire circulatory system, strengthens your lungs and heart, reduces stress, will give you more energy and help you sleep better, not to mention help with weight loss, keep your metabolism going, and after you've really worked out, give you a chance to stretch, which keeps you flexible.

It sounds like you just need to find what interests you. I think hiking is terrific. For me too, the treadmill or that stationary bike, I just can't stick with those. I like to move (not do the same thing). There are lots of options, especially if you have gym membership. Kickboxing classes, aerobic classes, swimming, dance classes... Find something that's fun for you.

But you're right. Doing that weight training/resistance training/whatever it's called 3 times a week is just as important. To build strong muscles and really jump kick that calorie burning. Personally I do cardio 5-6 times a week and lift weights/push-ups/sit-ups/squats, etc 3 times. I agree with letting those muscles rest in between.

You're doing great and working hard. Just find what you love so you won't take 4 months off again.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldsky View Post
Hi 95butterflies, my only suggestion is not to let go of the cardio
You are totally right. It's ironic that you mentioned it because I was thinking about that today as I was doing my cardio (after I posted). I was so excited about starting my new routine (but want the MWF schedule) that I went to the gym just to be there...and do cardio. I think, originally, I was just thinking about a routine to get fit. But, I will probably need the cardio at the gym just to keep heart-healthy.

Do you know anything about target heart rates while working out? I mentioned earlier that the guy at the gym told me to keep my heart rate at 155. However, I noticed today that whenever I tried to intensify my cardio (e.g. increase the incline on the elliptical) that my heart rate would get up to 162-168. I felt fine, and could have maintained but was worried about loss of lean tissue (like my gym guy warned me about). How am I ever supposed to train my body to handle more inclines? Take for example, the hike that I went on this weekend with my husband. I tend to get winded on the hills. I recover okay, but not as quickly as my husband. So, I can't blame that on this crazy Texas heat!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness