Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 09:33 PM

603 posts, read 2,359,717 times

Advertisements

Please discuss:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 01:44 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,350,894 times
well, a few things to consider in regards to the dog:

-you need to pick the right breed of course. you're going to kill a pug trying to jog with it for several miles a day! you'll need a high energy breed, preferably one that has the stanima to go long distances (you want marathon runners, not sprinters. I cringe whenever I see people jogging with greyhounds. these dogs aren't built for jogging!). sporting and herding breeds work best, but you can even get a small active terrier like a JRT. do you have a dog already? what breed/mix is it? note that flat nosed dogs have issues breathing so don't make the best jogging partners

-don't go jogging with puppies. that's too much for the joints of a growing dog. not sure what the preferred minimum age is, but I'd say what at least until 1 year old,depending on the breed (some mature faster than others)

-TRAINING IS IMPORTANT!! you can't just stick a leash on the dog and start running! the dog will need to be trained to ignore distractions so it doesn't go off course trying to greet another dog while you're jogging

-frankly, I HATE extendable/retractable leashes. I think they promote bad behaviors and can cause accidents if the dog is not trained to stay at your side. if you're going to job with your dog, use a regular leash so people aren't being tripped up by a 10ft long leash!

-going off on the above, don't even THINK about going running w/ your dog off leash! it amazes me how many people do this! I've seriously seen off leash dogs trail yards behind b/c they've slowed down to sniff something while their owner jogs ahead w/o even looking back

-location is another issue. well, it's as much of an issue if the dog is trained and on a short leash, but if it isn', jogging on a busy sidewalk or pathway is a big no-no! I hate it when people do this (come on, how wide is the average sidewalk?).

Old 12-11-2008, 03:34 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,034,677 times
Eevee covered everything I can think of. I agree about retractable leashes.
I just want to emphasize:
Make sure the dog is ready.
I usually mind my own business, but I *have* stopped a couple clueless runners who were jogging with young puppies. It's like trying to work out with a toddler--crazy.
Make sure you have the right kind of dog.
It really does depend on the breed. Dogs bred for stamina, such as Labradors, can benefit from a nice run.
Let your dog have his own walk--and clean up after him.
Dogs also need to relax, explore and sniff and pee etc. I feel sad when I watch joggers yanking on the leash as their dog tries to sniff, and I get mad when I see a dog crouching, trying to simultaneously run and poop.
It's better if the dog can have his own warm-up before the run, and/or a cool-down afterward.

Old 12-11-2008, 08:27 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,967,745 times
I think eevee covered everything (rep points are in order).

I would love to jog with my dog, but she is not the breed for jogging (Mastiff). You really need a working or sporting dog to jog with you. I have seen people jogging with Jack Russells but they arent really "joggers" because they only do a quarter mile or so then walk.

So: Be sure you have a breed that is okay for running, have a leash, dont run with a puppy, CLEAN UP AFTER YOUR DOG.

Old 12-11-2008, 08:39 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,242,333 times
My husband runs with Shadow. They motivate each other. Sometimes they bike together as well. He asks her "Want to go for a run?" and then they get down on the floor and stretch together.

Shadow is 1/2 golden Retriever and 1/2 ???? She is black so running in the hot weather is out. At all times my husband carries water for the dog.

Also you need to be aware of the surface. Asphalt gets hot even when it feels nice out, doggie foot pads are sensitive. Uneven surfaces like gravel are not good for a dog.

One more very important thing- don't over do it in the beginning. Dogs need to build up to longer runs the same way people do.

I do agree that the dog needs to have been walked before your run so that you are not stopping at every bush and telephone pole.

They both seem to enjoy going running together. Shadow always comes home with a big 'ol smile on her face.

Old 12-11-2008, 09:01 AM

2,403 posts, read 5,242,684 times
I'm looking for my first dog.

Are these breeds good runners?
Pincher (regular not Doberman)
Pit Bull
Sheltie

Old 12-11-2008, 09:38 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,957,954 times
I occasionally run with our dog. Bridget is a Australian Shepard/Border Collie mix. Perfect for running. And usually what we do is run for a bit, walk a bit so she can sniff, etc. and run again. She could actually out run me! My run is a light trot for her.

I keep her on a regular leash (gentle leader as well) and it is kept short so she stays by my side.

Don't even get me started on people walking their dog off leash. My dog is NOT good with other dogs. She's a control freak and doesn't play well with others. So when people allow their dogs off leash to come running up to her....they usually get an ear full from me. And I hate retractable leashes. I got caught up in one while running on my own one time. The lady was pushing a stroller, talking on the cell, and was allowing her little dog to be on the end of the leash.

That's my rant.

Back to the topic - running with a dog is a different workout for sure. I can't run with mine all the time, but she really enjoys it when we do.

Old 12-11-2008, 12:51 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,806,208 times
I use to run regularly with my chocolate lab before she passed away. She was an awesome running partner, it made running so much more enjoyable. She lived for those runs like it was her life mission. We would be running together and every once in a while she would look up at me with this big grin, like she was saying, "Thank you dad, I love you."

You really have to be careful about them overheating. Over 75 deg or so, I wouldn't take her. Also, you have to build up their endurance, don't start with 8 miles obviously. Also, pay attention to your dog's body language. Is he/she falling behind, is her/his breathing harding than normal, does he/she seemed over stressed in any way? If so, you should walk the rest of the way home. My dog probably would have died of a heart attack before she quit running at my side, she just had that kind of drive, so I really had to pay attention to her. However, my 3-5 mile jogs weren't overly difficult for her unless it was a little warm. The only real "negative" to me is the picking up of poop and stopping for pee. I could walk my dog for 10 minutes before going and she would ALWAYS still go at least once on the run. Oh, and keep them on a short leash. I always had her on my left side right at my knee.

I adopted a golden retriever mix about 1-1/2 months ago, he is about 4 months old. I can't wait to run with him when he gets bigger. I've jogged about 50-100 yards with him a couple times while on walks just to see how he would react and he seemed to like it. I can't wait until he is about 1 year.

Old 12-11-2008, 02:13 PM

809 posts, read 2,885,222 times
If I tried to run with either of my dogs (one is a yellow lab, golden mix and the other is golden/sheltie mix) they would have me flat on my face be drug behind them! ESPECIALLY the yellow lab mix cuz he's only a year old and he is MASSIVE!!!

Old 12-12-2008, 05:47 AM

3,488 posts, read 8,223,257 times
Agree up to a point about the 'right kind' of dog, but I jog with my Maltese who is all of 4.9 lbs, and she LOVES it.
She's actually a quiet little thing, although she enjoys playing - but she loves to go for a jog and keeps up with either me or my DH (he goes faster) just fine. She is happy up to about 3 miles, before she starts to lag.
I think the exercise is part of what keeps her such a happy, well adjusted dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness