Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 10:17 AM

105 posts, read 286,774 times

Advertisements

I started running (well jogging) a couple of weeks ago. I'm now having knee pain. I jog for about half an hour on a treadmill...I strech before and after and warm up and cool down. I'm just wondering if this will stop after I get more acclimated to running? Or if anyone has any suggestions. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 10:27 AM

968 posts, read 2,589,330 times
do you have good shoes?

it may stop depending on the type of pain it is. You're body takes quite a bit of abuse while running. You might just have to get used to it.
Get some good shoes that absorb the impact.

Or you can try intervals, see if that helps you.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:28 AM

I have running sneakers. They are several years old, though never really used for running.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:34 AM

968 posts, read 2,589,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puntin View Post
I have running sneakers. They are several years old, though never really used for running.
that might be your problem. I got some Reebok higher end shoes specifically for running and training. They made a huge difference.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:35 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,934,927 times
Go to a running store and get some good advice on shoes. You are doing great time/distance wise for a new runner and deserve the BEST footwear so that you can continue to enjoy running and progress pain-free from this point. Don't just go to an athletic store - really try to find a running store in your area. Many running specialty stores have video treadmills so that they can assess how your feet work while running and give you the best advice about shoes. Don't worry about seeming like a novice. I have really never met an unfriendly running store!

Until you get better shoes - ice, ice and more ice! Pain is usually from swelling and teeny microtears and the ice will make a big difference. Ice the knees for at least 10-20 minutes three or more times a day.

Good luck!!!!!

Old 02-24-2009, 11:35 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
Quote:
Thats probably your problem right there. Running in "several year old" shoes is asking for injury. Find a dedicated running store, have them check your gait, and fit you for the proper running shoes for you.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:23 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,164,736 times
Quote:
I started running (well jogging) a couple of weeks ago. I'm now having knee pain. I jog for about half an hour on a treadmill...I strech before and after and warm up and cool down. I'm just wondering if this will stop after I get more acclimated to running? Or if anyone has any suggestions. Thanks.
Shoes yes....keep an eye on your form though.....that sounds like it may be more of a form issue.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:31 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
I wear out sneakers in about 6-8months in terms of the cushioning and support etc. I played 2 hours of basketball Sunday morning with almost no breaks and can totally tell that my shoes need replacing. (ouch!)

I'm about 180-185lbs and stocky so I put a lot of wear on my soles....if you are a bigger guy or really lean runner type you might wear shoes out faster\slower.

My shoes still *look* good they just don't have the support so they get relegated to gardening.

Old 02-24-2009, 02:08 PM

347 posts, read 1,357,813 times
Another reason for the pain may be if you have started running recently.
Maybe give it a break of a couple of days and gradually build up the time you run.

Old 02-24-2009, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
Shoes yes....keep an eye on your form though.....that sounds like it may be more of a form issue.
I'm not sure what you mean by form. The way my feet fall? My stride? I try to have good posture.

Everyone else, thanks!! I didn't realize how importants shoes are to a runner...I'll definately try to find a running store (we are pretty rural, I didn't even know they had dedicated running stores).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness