Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 09:59 AM

4 posts, read 24,429 times

Advertisements

I've seen people wear it on their arms when they are running outside using a strap ( I think it also comes as a watch), I think it calculates the distance you run, the time, and maybe even how many calories you burn. Can it do all of this and what is it called?

thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2010, 10:03 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times
iPod.

When using the Nike+ iPod sensor, your iPod can do all of that for you. I swear that everyone I see running (here in L.A.) uses that. I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE my Nike plus. I NEVER run without it.

If you have an iPhone or iTouch the program is already included, all you need to do is buy the sensor for your shoe. If you have any of the iPods, you'll need to get the sensor and transmitter.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:25 AM

Wait, it looks like it's called a pedometer, can someone tell me if this one is for running and not just jogging?

[url=http://www.amazon.com/Omron-HJ-112-Digital-Pocket-Pedometer/dp/B0000U1OCI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1269101466&sr=8-3]Amazon.com: Omron HJ-112 Digital Pocket Pedometer: Sports & Outdoors[/url]

Old 03-20-2010, 10:29 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,586,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meneting View Post
Wait, it looks like it's called a pedometer, can someone tell me if this one is for running and not just jogging?

Amazon.com: Omron HJ-112 Digital Pocket Pedometer: Sports & Outdoors
That's the pedometer I use and I'm very happy with it. You enter your weight and stride (there are multiple easy ways to figure that out) and it tracks steps, aerobic steps, calories burned, miles traveled. It also has a clock. It stores the information for 7 days so you can record it if you want to.

It's likely the arm band things you see are body bugs, combo heart rate monitor/pedometers, or Ipod-like devices like Lao mentioned.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
That's the pedometer I use and I'm very happy with it. You enter your weight and stride (there are multiple easy ways to figure that out) and it tracks steps, aerobic steps, calories burned, miles traveled. It also has a clock. It stores the information for 7 days so you can record it if you want to.

It's likely the arm band things you see are body bugs, combo heart rate monitor/pedometers, or Ipod-like devices like Lao mentioned.
Since you have this one, do you use this specifically for jogging and running or just walking, is it accurate, and where do you usually have it while you are exercising (pocket, etc..)?

Old 03-20-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Since you have this one, do you use this specifically for jogging and running or just walking, is it accurate, and where do you usually have it while you are exercising (pocket, etc..)?
For the same price you can get the Nike Plus sensor for your iPod. I find that its more accurate than the pedometer and has many more options that make it a better buy.

Its better because:

1. It will tell you how far you've run and how many calories you burn.
2. It will tell you if you're halfway on your run and your time.
3. If you want, you can listen to your fav music or podcast (or not) while running.
4. I like the words of encouragement from Lance Armstrong at the end of the run.
5. Its fully programmable. You can set it for how far you want to run or how many calories you'd like to burn.
6. You can plug it into your computer and track your progress on the web.

Old 03-20-2010, 11:54 AM

Take a look at it here - Apple - Nike + iPod

Im pretty sure that after you do your research, you'll decide on one of these instead of the pedometer. I swear, EVERYONE I know uses it. Since just about everyone already has some idevice, it just makes all the more simple to use. It really is light years ahead of any pedometer on the market and so much more fun and flexible to use.

Another added plus is that you can connect it to the cardio machines at your gym and still track all of your progress.

Old 03-20-2010, 12:12 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,586,547 times
Quote:
I use it mostly for walking but it's accurate for jogging/running also. It's really easy to change the inputs, which is nice since most people probably have a different stride length walking vs running. In fact, for fitness walking, I'd like to shorten my stride.

Personally, the pedometer is easy and enough for me. Clip it anywhere or stick it in a pocket and that's it - nothing binding or trapping sweat. I don't have an Ipod or other gadgets/apps but the Nike thing does sound equally good if you do have an Ipod already and don't mind earphones and arm bands. Everyone has his/her own personal preferences so I would never presume to state that either was "better" than the other. Happy walking/running to you

Old 03-20-2010, 12:54 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times
Quote:
I've seen people wear it on their arms when they are running outside using a strap ( I think it also comes as a watch), I think it calculates the distance you run, the time, and maybe even how many calories you burn. Can it do all of this and what is it called?

thx
Overkill ?

Are you talking about a body bugg?

BODYBUGG :: WELCOME

If you keep doing the same exercise over and over you burn less calories doing it even at the same weight. Also counting calories is not an exact science. Never use one of those things to exercise off your perceived consumed calories.

Old 03-20-2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Take a look at it here - [URL="http://www.apple.com/ipod/nike/"]Apple - Nike + iPod[/URL]

Im pretty sure that after you do your research, you'll decide on one of these instead of the pedometer. I swear, EVERYONE I know uses it. Since just about everyone already has some idevice, it just makes all the more simple to use. It really is light years ahead of any pedometer on the market and so much more fun and flexible to use.

Another added plus is that you can connect it to the cardio machines at your gym and still track all of your progress.
I don't have an Ipod and I don't have the specific sneakers so it would cost over $200 probably, I think they overdid this product, it requires you to have the right sneakers and the Ipod in order for it to work and it looks like you can only see your results at the end when it's connected to the computer. I already have an mp3 player that I can use for jogging.

The Bodybug is like $200 plus, crazy.

I made my decision, I am going to stick with the Omron pedometer, at amazon.com the reviews are 2,543 people with 4.5 stars out of 5. Every site I go to I see positive reviews for this product.

thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness