Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 07:12 AM

1,152 posts, read 3,201,200 times

Advertisements

I think exercise is key. Sure, not all women want to get "buff," and most men don't like that look. There's nothing wrong with a toned woman though! And if you don't like that look either, then you can concentrate on diet and cardio - I'd still lift a little because of the host of health benefits, but that's just me - lifting isn't for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 07:38 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,904,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannobanano View Post
I am so confused about exercise. It seems women who don't "formally" exercise look better than those who do. Women in other parts of the world like Eastern and Western Europe, Asia, some parts of South America, etc. don't exercise at all but look better than the American women who exercise routinely. I think Hollywood women look too muscular. You've heard of the book, "French Women don't get Fat," right? Maybe there's something to it. Since I stopped exercising, I've lost weight because I'm not obsessing. I don't know. Or maybe women should just stay away from weight-lifting?? I know that looking masculine is not a goal of Hollywood actresses but, perhaps, it is inevitable for women who lift even small amounts of weights regularly.

Must it be flab or muscular? Is there no in between? If there was, they would all look like that.

I'm not even getting into diet which I know is important and I cook very healthy meals without the obsessive calorie/fat/carb counting.

Furthermore, I am obviously not talking about exercise for health which, of course, is essential. I get plenty of natural exercise from walking, cleaning, yard work, and hiking. I am talking about how to look your best.

Any thoughts?
Well I am a Eastern European woman who exercises like a Hollywood woman. I lift weights and do cardio with my husband and think I look great muscular, and I am guessing with the stares that others agree. It takes a huge amount of weight lifting to look like an overly muscular woman. I lift 4-5 days a week, and have for years, and am just toned. To actually get very muscular would take a couple hours daily, woman don't realize how difficult it is and that you probably won't get that look just from a regular routine.

If you've lost weight, you probably have lost msucle as well. The look you talk about is called skinny fat, they look slim, but they have very little muscle tone. To me, thats not optimal and muscle is sexy.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:46 AM

622 posts, read 3,113,157 times
Yep, "skinny fat".

Here are pics of just skinny, and a bit of muscle. Just a bit... They are not good examples. Especially of the 'skinnyfat', where your upper arm hangs down so far because there's nothing holding it up. Yes, one could weigh 125 pounds, but still be fat.

http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2007/..._300x449,0.jpg

Google Image Result for http://tonedbodies.net/images/main/personal-training-for-women.jpg

Old 11-03-2008, 08:47 AM

142 posts, read 538,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJersey? View Post
Yep, "skinny fat".

Here are pics of just skinny, and a bit of muscle. Just a bit... They are not good examples. Especially of the 'skinnyfat', where your upper arm hangs down so far because there's nothing holding it up. Yes, one could weigh 125 pounds, but still be fat.

http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2007/..._300x449,0.jpg

Google Image Result for http://tonedbodies.net/images/main/personal-training-for-women.jpg
Oh come on, that's disgusting. If you've traveled overseas much, you know what I'm talking about and its not emaciated models--I'm talking about the slim, feminine look which requires no slaving away at the gym. Its the way American women used to look before the obesity and fitness craze epidemics. Its so much more attractive and natural-looking than the look of someone who goes to the gym...IMHO.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:53 AM

622 posts, read 3,113,157 times
Quote:
Oh come on, that's disgusting. .

Which one? Ha, I know what you mean. The skinny one is 'disgusting', but that's what women would look like if they lost the weight they wanted to lose and not lift weights to build muscle.

The body is composed of muscle, and fat. That's it. You don't "lose weight", you either lose muscle or fat or both. You need to build muscle and lose fat to have some shape. Wether it's genetics and you don't need to lift weights, or you run with enough intensity and it builds your legs, or whatever your life allows, it all boils down to muscle and fat. Having the right mix of the two is all it's about.

Yes, I chose bad pics. I quickly googled them. I'm sure someone else can post better examples.

The skinny pic... a lot of women look like that but with fat covering their whole body. Is that a better look? That's skinny-fat like mentioned above.

Muscle and fat. It's that simple.

Old 11-03-2008, 12:24 PM

142 posts, read 538,267 times
I guess it muscular arms that bother me. No one minds having legs with some definition but when you can see the muscles in a woman's arms, she needs to stop.

Old 11-04-2008, 07:58 PM
KB4

1,032 posts, read 1,641,466 times
Quote:
I am so confused about exercise. It seems women who don't "formally" exercise look better than those who do. Women in other parts of the world like Eastern and Western Europe, Asia, some parts of South America, etc. don't exercise at all but look better than the American women who exercise routinely.
I don't know why you think women in other parts of the world don't exercise at all. I can't speak for Asia but women in Eastern and Western Europe definitely exercise.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:38 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,041,502 times
I like having toned arms. You don't really get the full effect of the muscle unless I'm flexing it. I'd rather have muscled arms than flabby bat wing arms any day.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:40 AM

1,229 posts, read 2,912,421 times
Quote:
I am so confused about exercise. It seems women who don't "formally" exercise look better than those who do. Women in other parts of the world like Eastern and Western Europe, Asia, some parts of South America, etc. don't exercise at all but look better than the American women who exercise routinely. I think Hollywood women look too muscular. You've heard of the book, "French Women don't get Fat," right? Maybe there's something to it. Since I stopped exercising, I've lost weight because I'm not obsessing. I don't know. Or maybe women should just stay away from weight-lifting?? I know that looking masculine is not a goal of Hollywood actresses but, perhaps, it is inevitable for women who lift even small amounts of weights regularly.

Must it be flab or muscular? Is there no in between? If there was, they would all look like that.

I'm not even getting into diet which I know is important and I cook very healthy meals without the obsessive calorie/fat/carb counting.

Furthermore, I am obviously not talking about exercise for health which, of course, is essential. I get plenty of natural exercise from walking, cleaning, yard work, and hiking. I am talking about how to look your best.

Any thoughts?
The countries you mention ..like france all eat fatty food but SMALL portions...we [america] are the land of buffets and super size everthing...thats what gets you fat!! some women[and men] can stay lean and look good just by eating right,that ''hollywood look'' is a very low body fat with toned muscles ..which can lead to a musclular look...keep lifting and dont worry about looking''too hollywood'' unless you pay a trainer 1000 a week and eat like a rabbit....good luck

Old 11-06-2008, 05:09 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
I guess it muscular arms that bother me. No one minds having legs with some definition but when you can see the muscles in a woman's arms, she needs to stop.
When you can see the muscles in a woman's arms..........that's a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness