Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 02:03 PM

1,152 posts, read 3,200,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
This is actually a very good idea. OP, maybe you can try working out at your gym on the HammerStrength ISO equipment to remedy this. When you fail in your sets, you can just stop there, or try to do one last set with just the weak side.
Good call here bro. I was trying to figure out how to do this with pecs. I know if I tried to do Dumbbell bench presses with only one side, the uneven weight would probably roll me off the bench haha.

Hammer Strength machines are probably just the thing for the OP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 02:21 PM
JL JL started this thread

8,522 posts, read 14,537,016 times
what are hammer strength machines? do they have them at 24hr fitness? i just want to make sure my chest has evened out. thanks.

Old 11-23-2008, 02:25 PM

1,152 posts, read 3,200,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesLang View Post
what are hammer strength machines? do they have them at 24hr fitness? i just want to make sure my chest has evened out. thanks.
They should have them at most gyms. They are the machines that are machines, but you actually put weight plates on them. The hammer strength chest machine DaBeez referred to allows each side to move separately - so you can work your weak side more.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:44 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,636,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jahutch View Post
They should have them at most gyms. They are the machines that are machines, but you actually put weight plates on them. The hammer strength chest machine DaBeez referred to allows each side to move separately - so you can work your weak side more.
One of my favorite machines. I would generally do one set keeping both arms steady, as if they were connected (the cams), then I would do another where I focused just on one at a time, and then one alternating 3 on one side, 3 on the other.

Old 11-25-2008, 01:05 AM

532 posts, read 1,567,941 times
I'd say do more reps with equal weight on both sides, maybe keep with DB's

Old 11-30-2008, 12:20 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,449,461 times
Quote:
For the guys, how do you get your pecs to even out? My left pec is smaller than my right. Should i lift a heavier dumbell with my left and lighter one on the right?
Are they really that uneven? Or are you spending too much time looking at them? Maybe this is something nobody else notices?

Old 11-30-2008, 06:47 PM
JL JL started this thread

8,522 posts, read 14,537,016 times
the left one is smaller, but you have to look at it for some time to really notice that. it isn't that obvious. so the answer to your question is that i do take the time to look at my chest closely. no one has noticed it, just me.

Old 11-30-2008, 09:38 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
Quote:
For the guys, how do you get your pecs to even out? My left pec is smaller than my right. Should i lift a heavier dumbell with my left and lighter one on the right?
James,

I had the exact same problem (Left pec noticeably smaller, although probably only to me). I tried a number of different techniques to rectify the issue; what finally made the difference was doing push-ups in front of a mirror focusing on perfect balance and technique. Once I "felt" the neutral position with a push-up, I could balance any press. Also, try some pec isolation exercises with cable machines. Cable butterflies are great, you can really slam your weak side by pulling it a few degrees past your strong side at the end of the push, if that makes any sense.

Old 04-11-2009, 12:37 AM

1 posts, read 8,930 times
Sometimes the uneven pec comes from an uneven rib cage and this could be your problem.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:43 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,641,873 times
Quote:
For starters, avoid anything with a barbell. One side is obviously doing more work than the other. Focus on dumbbells but don't lighten up the weight on your stronger side. I used to have this problem with my shoulders where one side was stronger than the other. So I stopped using the barbell and did only dumbbell exercises til my weaker side caught up with my stronger side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness