Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 07:01 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,959,965 times

Advertisements

I hear I should build my triceps.

I own dumbells, weight bar, and curl bar. Offer some very good suggestions please. Thank you all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 08:34 PM

3,974 posts, read 5,169,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I hear I should build my triceps.

I own dumbells, weight bar, and curl bar. Offer some very good suggestions please. Thank you all.

Triceps make up two thirds of your arm mass, but biceps get all the attention. They are what add roundness to your upper arms.
There are plenty you can do with those pieces of equipment.

Dumbbells -

Grip the handle with both hands. Raise db behind you head and with elbows up extend the weight above your head.
You can also do these one handed with a dumbbell in each hand.
One other exercise is to bend over at the waist and support yourself with a bench. Grip a dumbbell in one hand, raise your upper arm level with your back, then extend the weight behind you until your lower arm is parallel with your upper arm.

Weight Bar\ Curl Bar -

Grip the bar with a close grip, hands together. Raise it above you head and like hte dumbbell exercise, keep your elbows up while extending your lower arms up. You can try various grip widths or grip the bar with an overhand grip.

If you have access to a weight bench with racks, do bench presses except use a narrow grip, shoulder width or less. You can also reverse your grip. Both will hit your triceps well, be sure to use less weight than with rgular bench presses.

More exercises

Old 09-11-2008, 08:38 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,921,046 times
I tend to favor compound movements, which would mean building up the arms as a secondary result of focusing on large-muscle upper body exercises, such as those that work the chest, shoulders, and upper back, with the chest and shoulder presses being the ones that also develop the triceps. Do chest (bench) presses with the hands moderately close together (directly above the shoulders instead of out closer to the ends of the bar) and this will especially work the triceps while still also being a good chest workout.

If you still want to isolate the triceps, with the equipment you have your best bet would probably be an exercise that I think I vaguely recall hearing called a French curl (but don't quote me on that). You can do them with either dumbbells or a barbell. With a barbell you may find that the hand position is most comfortable if you use the curling bar rather than the straight bar, but if the straight bar happens to feel more comfortable to you, that's fine too. You want your upper body in the upright position, either sitting or standing. The starting position has the upper arm positioned straight up from the shoulder, with the elbow pointed up and the arm flexed so that you hold the weight directly behind you with a bent-elbow position. With a barbell, experiment with the width of grip that feels most comfortable, but I believe people usually do these with a fairly close grip. From there, you simply bring the forearm(s) up and forward until the arm is straight overhead above the shoulder. Bend the elbow to lower the forearm back and down to the starting position, and that's one rep.

Careful not to use too much weight on these. Triceps isolation exercises can really strain the elbows.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:39 PM

938 posts, read 3,507,513 times
I lay flat on a bench (I suppose you might be able to do this on a floor), hold 2 dumbell's straight up, then bend my forearms back 90 degrees from the starting position, and raise them back up until they are straight again. Just be sure not to hit yourself in the head with a dumbell!

Old 09-12-2008, 07:17 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,167,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OA 5599 View Post
I lay flat on a bench (I suppose you might be able to do this on a floor), hold 2 dumbell's straight up, then bend my forearms back 90 degrees from the starting position, and raise them back up until they are straight again. Just be sure not to hit yourself in the head with a dumbell!
hahahahaha......ohhh that would be tragic

Old 09-12-2008, 07:37 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,309,669 times
I would say the ones I have personally found beneficial are:

lying triceps extension (skull crushers)
dips, BW or weighted
Close grip bench press
close grip pushups with weight
bench dips with weight

I usually pick just one of the above when I do arms, since my triceps get plenty of work when doing pressing movements such as benches, standing presses and pushups. This is an small, hence easy muscle group to overtrain, so I don't do a lot of extra work. Good luck

Gil

Old 09-12-2008, 12:29 PM

938 posts, read 3,507,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
Yeah...same thing with dumbell presses too...would really suck to have one land on your face!

Old 09-12-2008, 12:43 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,959,965 times
LOL I'd be walking around town with a huge dent in my head...and people would be like "what wrong with that dude"...everybody I know would call me dent head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post

Old 09-12-2008, 01:03 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,167,239 times
owch...yea, i'd recomend a spotter for your first few sets just so you can get the feel of it down......might get you nice tri's but not sure how happy you'd really be with a flat face. lol

Old 09-17-2008, 10:40 PM

1,308 posts, read 3,403,199 times
Push ups and dips is what works for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness