Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 10:26 PM

1,678 posts, read 4,011,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnownUnknown View Post
Saying no offense, is like, with all due respect, or, Not to sound racist but,.

My problem with Planet Fitness is that many of them, discriminate. That's pretty much what it is. Discrimination. They discourage real, hard effort at many of them. By prohibiting the clothes that some people might wear, choosing to have relatively low weights, prohibiting certain exercises.
Although I agree with you, I can understand PF's sales tactic too. They are trying to set up a place where there is "no pressure", and that one can go in there and not be "intimidated" by body builders and muscle-heads. Its almost like a coffee shop, where you go in and can relax while you do light work.

I wouldn't necessarily call what PF does as discrimination, though. However, their nuances with not allowing folks to build up to a good physique (body building, not just simply being "fit"), kind of baffles me. This is almost more like a "beginners" gym... a "noob" type experience to get ones feet wet before moving on to something more challenging. If that is the case, then perhaps it should be looked at in that light. But, I think offering crappy foods to eat after your workout is sending the wrong message. They should be preaching how to get on the road to fitness, and cater plans for folks accordingly.

Still, I do hope PF succeeds. I just hope its based on the merits of getting folks to actually start the path to fitness, and start a trend to curbing America's obesity issues!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 12:00 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,209,247 times
i've been a member since august, and i love it. i'm not trying to become a professional bodybuilder so it works for me. for the people who say it's a casual workout is not speaking for everyone. every day i go, i go balls to the wall until the sweat is pouring off me. i do see many people(particularly women) going at low speeds and resistances on the cardio machines while reading books and only burning 100 calories an hour. i find it rediculous, but to each their own. if you wanna waste your $10 a month that way, then so be it. a downside is that the cardio machines exaggerate the number of calories you burn on higher resistances. i find it hard to believe that i burned 941 calories after only 50 minutes on the elliptical. the best thing about the place is that nobody bothers me. although i do have my iPod on the entire time.

i do find it hypocritical that they serve bagels, pizza, and tootie rolls, but i try to take advantage of the free bagels and eliminate a meal or snack throughout the rest of my day(saves money that way). anyone who thinks its messed up to the point they don't sign up doesn't have to eat the damn pizzas or tootsie rolls. nobody is putting a gun to your head to eat it. anyone who trashes the place has probably got lousy results from not working out hard enough themselves....which is ironic considering that they're the ones saying it's only a gym for a "casual workout'' and they want a challenge.

i'm looking forward to the influx of new years resolution members that disappear after the first week in january. what a bunch of tools.

Old 12-11-2012, 12:11 PM

758 posts, read 1,640,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post

i'm looking forward to the influx of new years resolution members that disappear after the first week in january. what a bunch of tools.
I think that we are already getting the 'new year's resolution' people in at my PF.

Old 12-11-2012, 12:37 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,711,977 times
Quote:
That's what I meant. Everyone works out "very hard". If you ask them, they all work out "very hard". I mean that sarcastically. Every overweight person whose tried to lose weight will tell you they worked out "very hard" and had an excellent diet, yet somehow they haven't lost weight. If you actually followed them around something tells me you'd find something different.
Oh, got ya! Haha its hard to tell tone sometimes.

Old 12-11-2012, 04:08 PM

808 posts, read 1,679,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txsizzler View Post
Although I agree with you, I can understand PF's sales tactic too. They are trying to set up a place where there is "no pressure", and that one can go in there and not be "intimidated" by body builders and muscle-heads. Its almost like a coffee shop, where you go in and can relax while you do light work.

I wouldn't necessarily call what PF does as discrimination, though. However, their nuances with not allowing folks to build up to a good physique (body building, not just simply being "fit"), kind of baffles me. This is almost more like a "beginners" gym... a "noob" type experience to get ones feet wet before moving on to something more challenging. If that is the case, then perhaps it should be looked at in that light. But, I think offering crappy foods to eat after your workout is sending the wrong message. They should be preaching how to get on the road to fitness, and cater plans for folks accordingly.

Still, I do hope PF succeeds. I just hope its based on the merits of getting folks to actually start the path to fitness, and start a trend to curbing America's obesity issues!
If the opposite happened, a gym that didn't let in the overweight and out of shape, there'd be an uproar.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:18 AM

758 posts, read 1,640,489 times
Quote:
If the opposite happened, a gym that didn't let in the overweight and out of shape, there'd be an uproar.
But PF doesn't ban anyone from the gym. Just because you don't want to go there doesn't mean you aren't allowed. You may not believe that you can get in shape with their equipment, and chose to go somewhere else. But it isn't because you are not allowed.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:02 AM

My problem with their choice of equipment has everything to do with the fact that it's all designed to discourage certain people from coming. And then if they still come, they have all these rules against many of them.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:02 PM

283 posts, read 508,375 times
Quote:
My problem with their choice of equipment has everything to do with the fact that it's all designed to discourage certain people from coming. And then if they still come, they have all these rules against many of them.

What?

Have you ever even been to a PF?

I only ask, because, if you had, you're realize that the weight machines they have are 90% the same type as the ones you'll find at, say, a Gold's Gym. (Where I worked as a trainer for several years, BTW.)
The only real difference in equipment is that PF has less free weights. BUt still, their dumbells go up to 75# and the free weights they DO have are sufficient for ninety-percent of all gym-goers.
Their cardio machines are abundant and state-of-the-art.
So I don't feel they are "designed to discourage certain people from coming" as you said. I just think they try to make the newcomer to fitness and the cardio-inclined people feel welcome and not intimidated as they may be on one of the other clubs that cater to juiced-up muscle heads grunting like gorillas in heat and dropping weights with enough noise to wake the dead.
If you're one of the guys in that latter group: no offense, but it's prolly best for all concerned that you avoid PF.
(More pizza for us!! )

Old 12-12-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lickety_Split View Post
What?

Have you ever even been to a PF?

I only ask, because, if you had, you're realize that the weight machines they have are 90% the same type as the ones you'll find at, say, a Gold's Gym. (Where I worked as a trainer for several years, BTW.)
The only real difference in equipment is that PF has less free weights. BUt still, their dumbells go up to 75# and the free weights they DO have are sufficient for ninety-percent of all gym-goers.
Their cardio machines are abundant and state-of-the-art.
So I don't feel they are "designed to discourage certain people from coming" as you said. I just think they try to make the newcomer to fitness and the cardio-inclined people feel welcome and not intimidated as they may be on one of the other clubs that cater to juiced-up muscle heads grunting like gorillas in heat and dropping weights with enough noise to wake the dead.
If you're one of the guys in that latter group: no offense, but it's prolly best for all concerned that you avoid PF.
(More pizza for us!! )
This is why America will never get it's weight under control. It'd be like if America just said, let's let out schools continue to fail our kids.

Michelle Obama launches a campaign to help kids lose weight, and people get up in arms about hurting their self esteem. Telling a child whose failing school they need to study harder isn't hurting their self esteem, telling a child who struggles to walk up a flight of stairs however, is.

And your mentality of wanting to run away from people in shape, and the WORK that it requires, is why America is pretty screwed as far as our health.

I mean, yea, people grunting and dropping weights is annoying, but you've just said you don't even want to see people in shape at your gym. You must not watch sports at all.

Old 12-12-2012, 03:53 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,822,493 times
Why in the world would anyone want to eat pizza right after a workout?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness