Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 10:22 AM

124 posts, read 321,853 times

Advertisements

I was told by a trainer to start taking whey protein as a supplement.

Is it really beneficial?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 12:45 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,261,183 times
In short:

Yes.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:05 PM

1,152 posts, read 3,201,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rhino View Post
In short:

Yes.
QFT.

Its a way to increase your protein intake. Which is important, because while most people get enough for day to day life, many do not get enough if serious muscle building is a goal. And, because a protein shake is in liquid form, it is absorbed quickly, which makes it ideal for post workout recovery.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:23 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,736,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jroyals View Post
I was told by a trainer to start taking whey protein as a supplement.

Is it really beneficial?
IF you are exercising and IF you want to supplement your dietary protein requirements without the added fat, then Yes!

However you need to incorporate into a nutritional program. There are numerous books on the subject of protein supplementation. Body for Life and Metabolism Advantage are two good books. The training programs are rigorous and involve weight training and high intensity interval training - in addition to dietary guidance/nutritional supplementation.

Old 02-13-2009, 12:38 PM

540 posts, read 1,910,746 times
I use the EAS Whey Protein on a daily basis for my post workouts. I love this stuff! I'm into trying to build muscle and it's definitely worked for me. As you can see under my "Protein Intake" thread, I maybe taking too much of it though. I can't think of any negative reasons why you shouldn't be taking it. I've seen elderly people purchasing it for themselves. And if you purchase any, go to Sam's Club, they have the best price for a 5lb bag. Anywhere else you maybe shelling out 10 bucks or more on top of what Sam's offers it for. Good luck! It's great stuff! My brother introduced it to me.

Old 02-13-2009, 02:02 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,264,921 times
Depends on what your food intake it. It can be good or actually bad and work against you.
Save yourself money and have a glass of skim milk and a handful of nuts.

Old 02-13-2009, 02:14 PM

968 posts, read 2,589,580 times
I take it after every weight lifting session. On days when I know my protein intake will be lower I have one for breakfast too.

Old 02-13-2009, 02:49 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,165,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattE View Post
I use the EAS Whey Protein on a daily basis for my post workouts. I love this stuff! I'm into trying to build muscle and it's definitely worked for me. As you can see under my "Protein Intake" thread, I maybe taking too much of it though. I can't think of any negative reasons why you shouldn't be taking it. I've seen elderly people purchasing it for themselves. And if you purchase any, go to Sam's Club, they have the best price for a 5lb bag. Anywhere else you maybe shelling out 10 bucks or more on top of what Sam's offers it for. Good luck! It's great stuff! My brother introduced it to me.
EAS is good. Isolate proteins are what you want to look for. I drink one after my workout....tastes like chalk but you gotta do what you gotta do....

Old 02-13-2009, 05:51 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,261,183 times
I've been into GNC's Wheybolic Extreme 60. Tastes great with 60 grams of protein per 3 scoop serving (sometimes I'll have 1 1/2 or 2 scoop serving though), mixes easily. It's a little more expensive than other brands, but it gets more reasonable when they do BOGO 1/2 sales and all.

Nectar of the gods, I tell you.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:45 PM

947 posts, read 3,409,419 times
Well, protein is good after a strong workout... if you are sensitive to milk dairy products then nut milk are a great source and there are also soy proteins and hemp proteins... lots of options and flavors for many different taste buds!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness