Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 05:30 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,951,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
You're gonna get all kinds of advice on this forum: some good and most bad. I'm a lifelong runner and former h.s. and college track guy, and currently a personal trainer with Gold's. I can probably help ya.
First of all, your current tpace of around 8:30 a mile is just fine for a 30 year-old. ALso, why do you want to run faster? DO you realize it's far more important for your fitness to run for longer periods of time than for faster? For exemple, you'd be better off running, say, 10 miles a week at a 10-minute per mile pace than you would by running 8 miles at an eight-minute pace. The thing is that you want to get your heart-rate up to your target level for about 30-40 minutes a day, for 4-5 times a week for optimum aerobic or cardio fitness.
That being said, if you want to improve your time, you HAVE to practice on THREE types of running: tempo runs, long runs, and easy runs. You alternate these kind of runs on different days. Just going out and running hard trying to hit your time goal is the hard and ineffective way to train. It would take too long for me to explain about those types of running (we call it interval training) but just go to runnersworld.com and check it out if you're interested.
I run for about an hour 2-3 x per week. I never really went for speed up to this point. I generally run around a 10 minute mile, maybe a little less (I'm 47 and only started running in the past 2 years).

I have 3 different running strategies that I switch off and on. One is the run at a steady 7 mph on a low incline for 30 minutes. Another is to run at 5-5.5 mph at a steep incline (12.0) for 30 minutes. The third is a new one I started recently, where I do a real sprint (9 mph) for a full mile at a low incline, and then go down to 6 mph, and gradually bring my speed back up for the remainder of the 30 minutes.

I spend the other 30 minutes on the elliptical, usually, and I've started to work in some time on the rowing machine.

What do you think of my routine overall?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 11:56 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,101,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I run for about an hour 2-3 x per week. I never really went for speed up to this point. I generally run around a 10 minute mile, maybe a little less (I'm 47 and only started running in the past 2 years).

I have 3 different running strategies that I switch off and on. One is the run at a steady 7 mph on a low incline for 30 minutes. Another is to run at 5-5.5 mph at a steep incline (12.0) for 30 minutes. The third is a new one I started recently, where I do a real sprint (9 mph) for a full mile at a low incline, and then go down to 6 mph, and gradually bring my speed back up for the remainder of the 30 minutes.

I spend the other 30 minutes on the elliptical, usually, and I've started to work in some time on the rowing machine.

What do you think of my routine overall?
Your routine is excellent! Keep it up. A ten-minute mile is great for someone your age. The last thing you want to do at this point is overdo it, or become to obsessed with your speed. Just continue to mix it up like you're doing and have fun. You might also try hitting the stationary bike once in awhile; it's really great for your quads and it gives your joints a break from weight-bearing.
And maybe make it a personal goal to enter an organized race in 2010? Nothin' too drastic, maybe start with a 5k fun run, and make your goal simply to finish in, say, the top half of your age group.
Good luck!

Old 01-03-2010, 06:02 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,951,875 times
Quote:
Your routine is excellent! Keep it up. A ten-minute mile is great for someone your age. The last thing you want to do at this point is overdo it, or become to obsessed with your speed. Just continue to mix it up like you're doing and have fun. You might also try hitting the stationary bike once in awhile; it's really great for your quads and it gives your joints a break from weight-bearing.
And maybe make it a personal goal to enter an organized race in 2010? Nothin' too drastic, maybe start with a 5k fun run, and make your goal simply to finish in, say, the top half of your age group.
Good luck!
Thanks so much for the feedback, man. It's good to hear that I'm on the right track. I was happy to see your comment about speed, since I have not really focused heavily on it.

I've actually done several organized races. A couple of 5K races (which are child's play at this point) and a couple of 5-mile races. I finished in the top 40% of all runners in the 5K race, and I had mixed results in the 5-mile races. The first time, I was about 2/3 of the way through the runners, but the second time, I cut my time and was in the top half.

My nephew signed me up for a half-marathon in June. I have some trepidation about being able to do it, but I want to try. The furthest I've run continuously so far is around 7 miles, so I will need to step it up.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:25 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,306,483 times
I was always taught to move my arms faster. Like, that's what my coaches always told me, lol. It always seemed to work.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:12 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,782,378 times
Quote:
ALso, why do you want to run faster?
2 reasons....

#1 I am in the military and our annual (soon to be bi-annual) physical training (PT) test consists of how big your belly is, how fast you can run a 1.5 mile, how many push ups you can do in a minute and how many sit ups you can do in a minute. And of course this is also based on your age.

The two major parts that make up the PT test are the run and the belly size. In the past you could be skinny as a toothpick and run faster than Forrest Gump and do maybe 1 push up and 1 sit up and pass....however they're changing it up for this year where there's a min. of sit ups you have to do, min. of push ups, min. time, min. belly fat...to pass....however even still the run and the belly tape are the two biggest factors in PT scoring.

Anyways my belly comes in at a 37-39 depending on who's doing the taping. I'm working on the belly as I could stand to lose an inch or two. But I figure by running faster, not only will I be able to run a quicker time and probably gain a better score, but also as a bonus perhaps the extra training and cardio will help my belly go down some? I'm also working on eating habits.

And #2. I'm 31 years young but it seems there's people older than me that run much faster than I do, and they're not athletes by any imagination as they too have bellies on them...one of them in particular even has had knee surgery and is 41 years young and can still outrun me. So in a way it makes me feel ashamed that I'm having trouble keeping up with a 40 year old mild beer gut knee surgery guy.

So there's my 2 main reasons...because I want to make a better PT score and so I don't have to feel ashamed when someone older than i am who's not in the best physical shape can still run faster than me.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:11 PM

I wanted to say thanks. Some of the advice given has been useful. I have found I run better early in the morning before reporting to work at 7 a.m. as opposed to after work at 3 p.m.

I don't know why but I have found after running in the afternoons sometimes I will be breathing heavy and almost out of breath....whereas when I run in the morning, I usually am not breathing so hard. And in some cases I have found I can even run faster in the morning.

When I run, I usually run on an asphalt oval track that is .75 miles long. We do have a .25 oval track that is rubberized, it's not that much better IMO and it's boring plus it's just plain flat, but the .75 oval track is more scenic as it circles a big lake located inside a park, plus it does have inclines and declines so I feel it gives a better work out. When it's cold or hot out I might run on a treadmill.

I had one guy tell me in the shop that running distances helps to not be so winded but to get faster I need to do sprints. Mind you all I have done so far is run for distances, and not so much for speed.

I usually do hydrate up until an hour before I run. If I run in the mornings I'll eat a banana 30 minutes before. if I run in the afternoons I try to eat pasta.

For stretching, I have found that if I don't stretch my calves before a run, they will lock up and I'll be hurting. Even smoetimes after a stretch they might hurt. So I try to stretch and restretch them.

I read in another post to get one of those weighted vests. There's a guy at my work that used to run with one of those and he claims it hurt him more than helped.

I probably should look into some new shoes since my New Balance ones are getting old. I had someone tell me shoes can cause joint pain and as soon as they switches shoes the pain went away.

Which leads me to the next sentence...doc has told me this morning to take 2 months off of running. I keep getting knee pain when I run and my left knee sometimes pops. Sometimes after running over 1.5 miles the pain tapers off but it's still uncomfortable the first 1.5 miles. One time I ran 3 miles and was fine even after my cool down, then all the sudden my left knee just locked up to where I couldn't walk on it. Took me 30 minutes to recover. Now I'm on meds for knee pain prescribed by the doc.

I even tried taking glucosamine and even using Dr. Scholls inserts for knee pain...it helped some but it's still there.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:22 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,266,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
I wanted to say thanks. Some of the advice given has been useful. I have found I run better early in the morning before reporting to work at 7 a.m. as opposed to after work at 3 p.m.

I don't know why but I have found after running in the afternoons sometimes I will be breathing heavy and almost out of breath....whereas when I run in the morning, I usually am not breathing so hard. And in some cases I have found I can even run faster in the morning.

When I run, I usually run on an asphalt oval track that is .75 miles long. We do have a .25 oval track that is rubberized, it's not that much better IMO and it's boring plus it's just plain flat, but the .75 oval track is more scenic as it circles a big lake located inside a park, plus it does have inclines and declines so I feel it gives a better work out. When it's cold or hot out I might run on a treadmill.

I had one guy tell me in the shop that running distances helps to not be so winded but to get faster I need to do sprints. Mind you all I have done so far is run for distances, and not so much for speed.

I usually do hydrate up until an hour before I run. If I run in the mornings I'll eat a banana 30 minutes before. if I run in the afternoons I try to eat pasta.

For stretching, I have found that if I don't stretch my calves before a run, they will lock up and I'll be hurting. Even smoetimes after a stretch they might hurt. So I try to stretch and restretch them.

I read in another post to get one of those weighted vests. There's a guy at my work that used to run with one of those and he claims it hurt him more than helped.

I probably should look into some new shoes since my New Balance ones are getting old. I had someone tell me shoes can cause joint pain and as soon as they switches shoes the pain went away.

Which leads me to the next sentence...doc has told me this morning to take 2 months off of running. I keep getting knee pain when I run and my left knee sometimes pops. Sometimes after running over 1.5 miles the pain tapers off but it's still uncomfortable the first 1.5 miles. One time I ran 3 miles and was fine even after my cool down, then all the sudden my left knee just locked up to where I couldn't walk on it. Took me 30 minutes to recover. Now I'm on meds for knee pain prescribed by the doc.

I even tried taking glucosamine and even using Dr. Scholls inserts for knee pain...it helped some but it's still there.
Once the doc tells you it's OK to run again, go to a runner's store and work with a knowledgeable salesperson. Bring in your current shoes. They should be able to tell how you run, listen to where it hurts and provide you with appropriate shoes. Yes it's more expensive than the big box stores but it's worth it! Also ask how you transition back into running. I remeber when I first started running a few years ago it was run, walk, run, walk,... until I built a base. There was also advice based on prior injury history to not run on consecutive days, to add no more than 10% mileage per week and to be sensible about how much I ran. I also found that running on a worn down grassy area next to our asphalt path was easier on my back and that I really like crushed limestone over harder asphalt.

In the meantime ask your doctor if you can do brisk walks, or swim to maintain some of your current fitness level.

What was the diagnosis? Is it something that PT will help?

Old 09-16-2011, 11:58 AM

532 posts, read 1,056,060 times
Quote:
Running first thing in the morning (before breakfast) is also a more effective way of burning bodyfat, since your carb levels will be depleted at that time. Running after weight training has the same effect.

Quote:
Running and other cardio activities are the best way to improve lung capacity and endurance, but in terms of improving muscle strength and endurance, resistance (weight) training is better. High weights and low reps will improve strength (which is prioritized when sprinting), and low weights and high reps will improve endurance (which is prioritized when distance running).

Quote:
How soon before running do you eat pasta?

Quote:
That's anecdotal. You have to try it yourself to see if it works for you personally. If you don't have a weighted vest, putting weights into a heavy-duty backpack should do the trick.

Quote:

How do your feet strike the ground when you run? If your heel strikes first, the repeated impact could cause this knee pain. Modern running shoes encourage heel-first strikes since they are generally cushioned in the rear, but if yours are old, it's likely that you're absorbing more and more of the impact.

It would probably be more efficient in the long run to adopt a toe-first strike, but it would feel strange and unnatural at first and you would need to exercise your calf muscles and tendons to prevent injury.

Old 09-16-2011, 01:11 PM

78,421 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Rottwielers.
Twinkie, rope and a stick longer than your arm.
Find a hot gal (or guy) that runs a little faster than you by standing by the running path and stretching.
Chase them. Makes sure to bring your bail card with you.

Old 09-16-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post

In the meantime ask your doctor if you can do brisk walks, or swim to maintain some of your current fitness level.

What was the diagnosis? Is it something that PT will help?
Thanks, yes the doc has said to do ellipticals (are those even any good?????) as well as brisk walking. I do have to schedule a physical therapy appointment on Monday. So far the doc just gave me some meds for arthritis and took an X ray of the left knee since it was popping/had a history of seizing up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnapostate View Post
How soon before running do you eat pasta?

How do your feet strike the ground when you run?
I usually eat lunch at 11:15-11:30 am and run between 3 and 4 pm. That's when I'll eat the pasta.

Not real sure how I'm landing...that's a good question. Maybe the physical therapist can watch how i run and make a pointer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness