Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2010, 01:13 PM

1,297 posts, read 4,771,790 times

Advertisements

I have severe ostioarthritis (sp) in left hip and have gained 200 lbs over 3yrs from meds I take and zero exercise. I am 6'4" and weigh 500lb. Last 20 yrs I weighed 325 and was very active as a truck driver/deliveryman.

I am now on full disability and am planning on getting some type of bariatric surgery done in next yr but want to do exercise so as to not be so darn immobile an sore all the time.

Doc told me I can use machine to do leg lifts and chest builder thing but not sure if will help me lose some weight.

I will be starting weightwatchers and have in past lost 25 lbs but that is it since I get no exercise.

Will a machine help me . Regular weights would require someone there to help me and that won't be of much help to me. I am unable to go to gym because it is hard to walk.

Thanks for any and all replies. Also what type of machine would you reccommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 03:06 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,757,428 times
You need to talk to your doctor exactly what machines you can and cannot use. You also should see if you can get some PT covered by your insurance to help you out.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:22 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,689,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
You need to talk to your doctor exactly what machines you can and cannot use. You also should see if you can get some PT covered by your insurance to help you out.
Yes, by all means get some pro help and guidance since you are so heavy and you have a serious joint issue. Doing this alone can be fatal if you get it wrong.

Old 03-30-2010, 06:44 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,720,278 times
I agree that you should consult a doctor and try to get some physical therapy. It's great that you are doing this. Good luck! Tell us how you are doing, too.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:39 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,271,814 times
I know your job REALLY burned a lot of cals. When you stop burning so many cals outside in your day you just have to eat less. You do not need to exercise to lose weight. That is a myth. You just eat less calories than burned in what you do daily.

Doing weights will help you retain the lean muscle tissue you have. If you like to do that type of thing and the doctor clears it, go for it.

You don't need that surgery to lose weight until you try EVERYTHING else. That surgery alone can kill you and you can face nutritional problems after. Its basically medically induced anorexia. I don't think you should do it at all. You are not that heavy for your height. You can take off your extra weight through a good nutritional plan even if you can't exercise much.

I don't like weight watchers because it cost money and it seems some people go back to eating the way it was before weight watchers and they just get fat again.

Free Diet Plans at SparkPeople

^^^ try that. Its free. It will give you a food guide but the exercises should be given to your doc to see what you can do.

Be prepared to not lose weight for a spell every 15-25 pounds you lose. Its just the body adjusting. It happens to everyone. Just stay on track and make sure not to overeat. I was not able to really exercise for my loss until the very end.

Old 04-03-2010, 07:51 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times
Absolutely consult a physical therapist. PTs are trained, among other things, to help set up effective fitness programming for people who have health challenges due to disability.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,655 times
your problem sounds pretty serious so i suggest you take treatment seriously too. just like the previous advices, i would advice the same, consult a physical therapists to help you out with proper exercises.

Last edited by aliCOOPER; 04-06-2010 at 11:19 PM.. Reason: forgot a word

Old 04-18-2010, 04:55 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,861,491 times
Just an FYI- if you have gastric bypass done then you can no longer ever take NSAIDS again. Since you mentioned having osteoarthritis not being allowed to take NSAIDS might be a real issue.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:39 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,444,467 times
Do: diet to lose weight first before embarking on exercise to lose weight. At the weight you are right now and with your health condition, you can probably lose a good 50-100 lbs by simply modifying your caloric intake and the quality of what you eat before you would need to incorporate exercise.

Do: consult with a rheumatologist who probably has on staff licensed PTs or can refer you to one.

Do not: get the bariatric surgery. As someone stated earlier, it is a very drastic choice and should only be considered when every other possible route to losing weight has been completely exhausted.

I get the feeling that as you gained the weight while on meds and doing zero exercise, you continued to eat as you did back when you were an active truck driver/delivery man. Possibly the caloric intake even ramped up as you gained more weight, as the meds and inactivity tend to stimulate one's urge to reach for a snack or ten.

You alone have the power to change your life - and you can do it! We've all seen the stories of folks who were morbidly obese and they turned it all around and within a few years they were unrecognizably lean with a new lease on life. It does help to have a support system to keep you going, though, because there will inevitably be some bumps in the road along the way. I second the suggestion to join sparkpeople. Everyone I know who is on there loves it and swears by it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness