Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 08:04 AM

522 posts, read 1,855,753 times

Advertisements

When you're on a cardio machine and you put in your weight and age, how accurate is the machine in telling you how much calories you're burning?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 09:07 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,640,686 times
Not very. Manufacturers make a lot of assumptions about the user. Instead of looking at the calories burned, pay attention to what direction the number is going. For example, if you did an hour one day and it said you burned 600 calories and the next day, you did an hour and it said you burned 650 calories, that's a good thing. But whatever you do, don't take those readings at face value. I usually look at them and assume at best I burned half.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:27 AM

1,477 posts, read 2,198,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcmotort View Post
When you're on a cardio machine and you put in your weight and age, how accurate is the machine in telling you how much calories you're burning?
When it comes to the amount of calories burned, I do not put a lot of stock in the accuracy of any of the exercise machines. I do not know how they "norm" those machines. However, everyone's metabolism rate is different. So, that has to be factored into the process. I think that what's important on the Treadmill is the duration of time you are exercising, and the distance. Those typically are accurate. And, of course, I would argue that they are also most important.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:54 AM

730 posts, read 2,888,077 times
I think more accurate would be an online calculator.

Put your weight in and then your activity. It should give you a good indication of approximate calories burned.

I've used so many elliptical machines over the years and the difference in the calories they computed for the same time/distance/effort is INSANE!!

Old 07-10-2009, 11:24 PM

690 posts, read 2,108,220 times
I think the machines generally assume you're 150 pounds and that you're pushing yourself at a very high level. I could be wrong, though.

Old 07-12-2009, 04:11 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,518,974 times
the most accurate way is to estimate the reading at 20 percent less. So if its says 400 calories the real reading is more like 320 calories.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:40 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,740,440 times
I had the same question.

Based on your answers, I'm wondering how online calculators (or anything else) could be more accurate than treadmills that have you enter your age/weight. What else would it be based on besides age, weight, and time/intensity?

Also, just curious why machines would over estimate calories... if it's based on fitness level and I'm somewhat out of shape (heart rate somewhat higher than for your average person while exercising), then isn't it likely to under estimate calories burned?

I've recently started tracking calories/food content along with exercising 5 days a week, but it's hard to tell if I'm on track without knowing how many calories are getting burned.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:07 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,164,129 times
It's not meant to be exact, just a pretty good guestimate. Some of the newer elipticals ask you to put in height, take your weight, age and ask for your heart rate every so often, those are typically more accurate but could be off

Old 07-14-2009, 08:34 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
i doubt they have any relationship with reality. it makes little difference, you shouldnt be working on cardio machines if your purpose is to burn calories. you should be cutting the calories out of your diet and you should be lifting heavy weights (as heavy as you can handle while making really ugly strained faces). cardio is for stamina and heart health. do it at the end of the workout for a little extra calories burned but if you push yourself to the limit, who cares what a computer reading says?

Old 07-14-2009, 12:33 PM

1,477 posts, read 2,198,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
if you push yourself to the limit, who cares what a computer reading says?
I think that this is the critical -- take home point!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness