Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 08:36 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,039,423 times

Advertisements

Me again- I need to ask for some help from you all. I excercise religiously, 7 days week doing either krav maga, biking, lots of pushupsand abwork.
I went back to my old diet from my early 30s which consists of approx:

60% protein
35% carbs
5% fat
1-2 gall of water a day, lots of fresh vege and fruits.

I've been feeling a bit run down and am wondering if I'm a bit overzealous with reducing fat intake. The fats I do eat are organic PB, or my weakness of Swiss cheese, and maybe an egg yolk with my omelettes.

Maybe I best rethink a few things maybe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 08:42 PM

15 posts, read 34,715 times
What are your goals? The fat is low. If you are eating healthy fats I don't know if I would go lower than 15% of my daily calories. What are your carbohydrate choices? This could be some of the reason you are low on energy.

Old 06-28-2009, 11:45 AM

14,562 posts, read 23,090,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
Me again- I need to ask for some help from you all. I excercise religiously, 7 days week doing either krav maga, biking, lots of pushupsand abwork.
I went back to my old diet from my early 30s which consists of approx:

60% protein
35% carbs
5% fat
1-2 gall of water a day, lots of fresh vege and fruits.

I've been feeling a bit run down and am wondering if I'm a bit overzealous with reducing fat intake. The fats I do eat are organic PB, or my weakness of Swiss cheese, and maybe an egg yolk with my omelettes.

Maybe I best rethink a few things maybe?
The problem with low fat diets is that your body tries to preserve the fat it does have. You did good by dropping the carbs and raising the protein though.

I'm working on a write up regarding the low carb diet I'm on now. I'll post as a thread when I finished, but in the meantime here are some basic guidelines.

- Keep your carbs under 30g a day. You should shoot for about 20g a day, but you'll have that 10g leeway.

- Eat about 6 small meals a day. Use a protein shake for a couple of them. Replace the carbs you're eating now with meats and cheese.

- Back off the cardio and start hitting the weights. More muscle = higher metabolism.

Once your body becomes fat adapted, you can lower the fat intake and slightly raise your carb intake. You also go to a 5 day on/2 day off cycle.

Old 06-28-2009, 01:19 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,039,423 times
thanks all!! I currently bike between 20-50 miles about 4 x per week and do Krav Maga 2-3 x per week. Lots of different style of pushups but no actual lifting of weights.

Old 06-28-2009, 08:09 PM

2 posts, read 4,899 times
Maybe you feel run down due to other things- stress from work, or things are catching up to you from your personal life- maybe involved in a bad relationship. I know the one I was in, the guy lied all the time, left me for a job, says he isn't doing anything, then I find he is.... so maybe clear clutter elsewhere, your energy will pick up.Good Luck keep us posted

Old 06-30-2009, 07:48 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,171,668 times
Fat is too low....people hear "fat" and automatically think "bad" but they don't necissarily always correlate....good fats are essential like Omega 3's.

Think about it like this.....you are working out every day right? Weights and cardio? The more you work your muscles the faster your metabolism becomes thus, requiring more calories from fat in order to keep up with your demanding workout schedule. If you are only consuming 5% total fat then, the sluggishness you feel is your body telling you that you need to fuel it . If you are truly working out 7 days per week you want to be at, at least, 10-15% total good fat....good fat...not dougnuts .

Old 06-30-2009, 10:00 AM

15 posts, read 34,715 times
lola8822 hit the nail on the head. The only other thing I would add is, to remember that your body needs fat to produce hormones, like testosterone, and collagen to help cushion joints. If you drop your fat intake too low you will be messing with a lot of other process in the body, not just calorie metabolism.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:09 PM

2,543 posts, read 4,891,013 times
When you say "fat", people automatically think it's the worst thing in the world. When in reality, your body needs a certain amount of fat to sustain and thrive. It's also insulation for your body against certain weather conditions. Certain body organs have to have a small amount of fat to keep going (such as your liver, heart, and spleen). Just a small amount though to keep thriving.

Also, in women, we need a little more fat in us to sustain a beautiful figure (the nice sized "rack" and those gorgeous hips and thighs). Not too much, but a nice amount of it to stay curvy and feminine. Some women don't understand that and nor do women with eating disorders such as anorexia. IF we didn't have fat, then we'd be stick figures. So, would some men too, if men didn't have some fat in their bodies.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:24 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,981,753 times
Next time you're in Whole Foods pick up a bottle of Udo's Choice oil. Has all the necessary fats you need. Put a couple of tablespoons on your salad, in your cereal or even just take it right to your mouth.

Essential Fatty Acids, Omega 3, Flax Seed Oil > Udo's Choice™ Oil Blend - the RIGHT FAT DIET!

Old 07-16-2009, 09:43 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,745,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
The problem with low fat diets is that your body tries to preserve the fat it does have.
i think this notion hurts people more than it helps people. its one of those "facts" people in the in the industry like to use because it complicates a simple issue and creates opportunities for work. people on survivor are losing lots of weight. there were no fat people in concentration camps. you cut the fat, your gonna lose the weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness