Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 06:44 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,777,431 times

Advertisements

I typically do three, three minute rounds of skipping rope. About 300 or so skips per three minutes with a one minute rest in between rounds. I save it for the end of my workout. Good stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 08:11 PM

754 posts, read 1,739,153 times
How is jumping rope low impact?

Old 08-14-2009, 11:20 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,951,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalyzeThis View Post
How is jumping rope low impact?
Im thinking that maybe some of you guys do not know how to jump rope. Everyone who does it (boxers, fighters, crossfitters, trainers) all know that its low impact. You need to be on your toes and balls of your feet. You only jump high enough so that the rope clears your feet.

If its high impact to you then you're doing it wrong. Your heels should never touch the ground.

Old 08-15-2009, 11:06 AM

1,869 posts, read 4,022,654 times
I thought low impact was when your feet never leave the ground.?

Old 08-15-2009, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoymonkey View Post
I thought low impact was when your feet never leave the ground.?
That would be NO impact.

Take a look at this, this is about as low impact as you can get.

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C...Variations.mov

Old 08-15-2009, 10:51 PM

37,594 posts, read 45,972,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
That would be NO impact.

Take a look at this, this is about as low impact as you can get.

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C...Variations.mov
Holy CRAP can he jump rope! I don't think I'm coordinated enough to ever jump that fast!

Old 08-16-2009, 05:00 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,530,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Im thinking that maybe some of you guys do not know how to jump rope. Everyone who does it (boxers, fighters, crossfitters, trainers) all know that its low impact. You need to be on your toes and balls of your feet. You only jump high enough so that the rope clears your feet.

If its high impact to you then you're doing it wrong. Your heels should never touch the ground.
You are still coming down with your full body weight. One of the exercises I'm supposed to avoid is jumping rope because you come down with your full body weight. My doctor does not consider it low impact. I don't think my trainer did either. With a low impact restriction, it was never part of my program. He had me use an elipitical trainer which is no impact.

I'm a physics teacher and force still equals mass times distance. Most people have a considerable amount of mass so you don't need much distance to put considerable force on your joints. Take that force and multiply it by how many jumps you do and how many times to you shock your ankles, knees, hips and back?

Old 08-16-2009, 07:58 AM

1,869 posts, read 4,022,654 times
All the definitions I see say low impact exercise is when at least one foot is always touching the ground. jump roping is high impact.
but regardless, the OP is about benefits of jump rope, which i agree, is a great exercise.

Old 08-16-2009, 08:08 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,802,315 times
I'm not sure that I would classify it as "low impact" either. However, if you jump rope properly, the shock is distributed between your ankles, knees and hip joints. No joint seems to take the brunt of the load.

Old 08-16-2009, 06:15 PM

People, jumping rope IS low impact. Any trainer will tell you this. Google it and you'll see that everyone defines it as a LOW IMPACT WORKOUT.

My guess is that you guys are extreme novice to novices when it comes to working out or that you have not tried skipping rope at all. You are on the balls of your feet and are not jumping high. Only a 1/4 inch or so off the ground and landing on the balls of your feet. Please please please do more research on this or at least try it out before you mistakenly categorize it as "non low impact".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness