Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 10:47 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times

Advertisements

I think of it as high-impact too. I can't do it for more than a couple of minutes at a time before my calves are screaming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 12:32 PM

632 posts, read 1,030,863 times
Maybe you guys' problem is that you are "thinking" of it as high impact instead of "doing" it. Its LOW impact!! LOW IMPACT!! You are on just the tips and balls of you feet only skipping just high enough to clear the rope. This is my "GO TO" exercise if my knees are sore.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:46 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,844,834 times
My ortho says jumping rope is it's high impact. Skipping is sort of like running because it is a more rapid pace than walking, and there is a slightly jump or jop or "catching air", therefore 3x the body force on the joints = high impact.

I will follow the advice of my MD & physical therapist over a personal trainer who doesn't have anywhere close to the same years of training.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:50 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,844,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarthaPetet View Post
I have 2 artificial hips and am looking for an exercise that will help me lose weight. i know running is not good per dr i was going to try stair climbing (real staircases) not sure about that and jumping rope appeals to me any advice?
Talk to your doctor and see what he recommends. I know, I know...it's boring (I just had a similar talk with my ortho today), but I don't want to have a 3rd back surgery or a 1st knee surgery.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:25 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkspur123 View Post
I've always thought of jump roping as a high impact activity.

I agree it is great exercise. As a woman it as always been a little unpleasant for me unless I have on a bra practically made of steel.
You're approaching it wrong then. Jumping rope isn't like you remember when you were a kid doing double-dutch, and the object was to jump as high as you could with your knees bent up to your chest.

Exercise-based jumprope is a gentle lift off the ground, knees loose, not bent nor locked, hips loose, spine loose - everything loose. You're jumping from the balls of your feet, and landing back on the balls of your feet, and your body doesn't lift more than a couple inches off the ground total. The "bouncing" itself is minimal. I can't do jumping jacks because of the "steel bra syndrome" - but I can jump rope. Your feet are -never- flat on the ground during a jumprope session, so there's zero impact on the backs of your feet, and minimal impact on your knees and spine. Most of the impact is taken by the front of the foot, the instep, and your shins.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:17 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,308,341 times
The key is also to relax while jumping and just move those wrists..this will come naturally over time. My home gym has a concrete floor, but I have a padded mat to lessen the impact. When I travel, the rope goes with me.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:57 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Low impact? I wouldn't call jumping rope low impact. You're coming down with your full body weight.
I agree.
I jar my joints more jumping rope and feel it in my knees faster than even when I run.
Elliptical and swimming do better for my joints.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:41 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
Maybe someone can show us a video of how to do jump rope low impact?

Old 02-08-2013, 01:58 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgemo2 View Post
True that! I've always considered jump rope high impact...not for my knees, but for my girls! LOL
Yup me too. But I highly recommended Shock Absorber bras. These are awesome!

Old 02-08-2013, 02:40 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,285,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I agree.
I jar my joints more jumping rope and feel it in my knees faster than even when I run.
Elliptical and swimming do better for my joints.
Jumping on the high impact side here; my ortho does not even want me walking for exercise. Elliptical, bike, or swimming only. Absolutely NO running or jump rope. No matter how softly you jump, you're still putting all weight intermittently on joints, AKA impact, even though you lessen the impact by bending, it's still there.

Low Impact Modifications for a Jump Rope

Quote:
Jumping rope is considered a high-impact exercise.

<snip>

According to Georgia State University, low-impact exercises keep one foot in contact with the ground at all times. Low-impact rope jumping is beneficial for those advanced in age, pregnant or overweight. If you have joint sensitivity, a low-impact jump rope will protect your knees, hips or ankles from further damage.[LEFT]
Read more: Low Impact Modifications For A Jump Rope | LIVESTRONG.COM

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness