Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 04:40 PM

805 posts, read 1,509,735 times

Advertisements

I'm skinny and I've always wondered about this:

Why is it that countries that have food shortages are made of overwhelmingly thin people (such as Ethiopia), but in America, overeating is often cited as not the sole cause for obesity? Genes, thyroidism, other factors are pointed to as the contributing factors?

I mean, if food shortage causes people to starve and be thin, then food abundance would cause people to overeat and be fat right? Or is this too simplistic?

Are we making excuses for being obese because we are not willing to look at overeating and eating the wrong foods starting as children?

I don't want to judge and sound harsh...just trying to understand. Any facts would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 04:57 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,256,290 times
Why Cant Lose Weight! Diets, Hormones & Toxicity

Food is a major part of it. I made that post with a video link that talks about some other stuff on it too.

Old 11-13-2009, 05:06 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,902,569 times
Yes you are being to simplistic.

Most of a person's thinness or fatness is genetic predisposition. When two thin adults have children, their children will most likely be thin, and if their children marry thin people, their children will most likely be thin. When two fat people have children, their children will most likely be fat, and if they marry fat people their children will also most likely be fat, and so on. This is true whether the genetics are ethiopian or American. The only difference in Ethiopia is that an adult in Ethiopia is mostly choosing a mate from other Ethiopians. With little intermingling of genes from other populations, the thinness quickly becomes a dominant trait. A geneticist or a scientist could probably explain this better than I could, but it all goes back to your high school science classes about blue eyes and red hair and so forth. Just substitute 'thin' for those characteristics and its the same math.

And if you take two genetically fat persons and put them through gastrointestinal bypass surgery or stomach stapling or lap band surgery or whatever, the children they have will most likely not be thin. No more likely than two people who dye their hair blonde will have blonde children. Because it is the genetics that determines these characteristics, not the outward appearance.

Unfortunately the media delivers the 'facts' in whatever way fits within a 30-second blurb and that often gives the impression that obesity is a simple issue. But substitute any other health or medical issue, and would you assume you know everything about it in thirty seconds? Cancer, for example? Fertility? Intelligence? Of course not. Instead of listening to news reports, even those by tv doctors, go to your own personal doctor and ask them about what really causes most people to be overweight.

They will tell you, the truth is, the people who most need to lose weight are genetically predisposed to do the opposite. And the people who have no need to lose weight have no trouble doing so.

Last edited by kodaka; 11-13-2009 at 05:14 PM..

Old 11-13-2009, 07:19 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,060,996 times
Diet is the problem. Mainly too many carbs.

Old 11-13-2009, 07:51 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,274,604 times
I disagree somewhat with the previous two posts.

I do not think you can boil it down to too many carbs. Calories that you do not burn are stored as fat. Macronutrient balance is important, but it is not the determining factor in weight gain/loss. Calorie imbalance is. Eat less than you use, weight loss results. Eat more than you use, weight gain results.

I also do not think that genetics are the main factor. Sure, some people are more "prone" to obesity than others, but those genes are not "expressed" unless a calorie imbalance of more input than output exists. People with thin parents do sometimes end up fat, and diet/activity is usually the reason.

In my case, it really was as simple as counting calories, ensuring a balanced diet (that did not seek to reduce carbs in proportion to protein and fat), and exercising both for improved health/fitness/metabolic rate and calorie "wasting". I used to be obese, and now I am not. I never eliminated carbs from my diet. I did not even reduce them. If anything, I increased them since my former diet had too much fat and protein (meat) in it. I also still drink diet soda, so obviously that cannot cause obesity on its own. In my case my consumption of diet soda did not change while my weight changed drastically, so in my case it has no effect on my weight whatsoever.

Old 11-13-2009, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I disagree somewhat with the previous two posts.

I do not think you can boil it down to too many carbs.
Sure you can. You can look back on history and see the rise in obesity rates as our cultural became more and more carb loaded.

Old 11-13-2009, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Sure you can. You can look back on history and see the rise in obesity rates as our cultural became more and more carb loaded.
I think it is correlation without causation, personally. Studies have shown that any diet that results in a caloric deficit is effective regardless of the macronutrient balance, and you can fail to lose weight on a low-carb diet if you consume too many calories.

Old 11-13-2009, 10:17 PM

745 posts, read 1,437,992 times
Quote:
Most of a person's thinness or fatness is genetic predisposition.
There is surely a portion of obese people due to genetic factors, but to base obesity rates solely on this? That is false. Bordering on irresponsible. Modern Americans have atrocious diets. Processed foods filled with chemicals, corn syrup, fats, etc...

Combine this with a sedentary lifestyle and... WHAMO! Obesity rates soar.

I do not eat as well as I should and I do not exercise enough. I am overweight (not sure I would consider myself obese.... yet) and I blame it solely on my own laziness NOT on something that is out of my control.

Old 11-14-2009, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I think it is correlation without causation, personally. Studies have shown that any diet that results in a caloric deficit is effective regardless of the macronutrient balance.
Of course. If you starve yourself, you'll lose weight. That's an extreme end of the spectrum though.

Quote:
and you can fail to lose weight on a low-carb diet if you consume too many calories.
You have to eat an ungodly amount of calories on a low carb diet to stop losing weight, much less gain it. Even the most chronic of over-eaters would struggle to reach those levels.

Old 11-14-2009, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Of course. If you starve yourself, you'll lose weight. That's an extreme end of the spectrum though.

You have to eat an ungodly amount of calories on a low carb diet to stop losing weight, much less gain it. Even the most chronic of over-eaters would struggle to reach those levels.
Nobody is suggesting starvation. There is a difference between a caloric deficit (necessary for weight loss) and starvation (bad).

The issues I have with low-carb diets is that they are trendy and I have personally never seen anyone succeed in the medium or long term using them because they are usually too restrictive. I also disagree that cutting carbs is necessary for weight loss and my own personal experience bears this out, and I disagree that overconsumption of carbs relative to fats and proteins is to blame for this country's obesity epidemic. That is not the reason. It is overconsumption of calories, period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness