Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 07:54 AM

687 posts, read 2,131,523 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend a good yoga video? I'm probably a low mid-level yogi

Life is getting too crazy, and finding time to exercise/stretch is even harder now, as I've been working some odd hours. I think will be easier to maintain if I can do it at home during the weekdays. Thanks for your suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 09:22 AM

12,974 posts, read 34,007,332 times
Check youtube. There are thousands of yoga videos there that are better than almost all Ive ever seen for purchase on DVD and even longer in duration.

I prefer Ashtanga and Vinyasa yoga. Here is an example of what you can find:

http://www.youtube.com/user/yogatoda...57/rAaHx5qsqhY

Old 12-03-2009, 09:34 AM

42,006 posts, read 75,380,148 times
I just got the "Total Yoga 4 Pack" series of 4 discs last week, and I love it.

Old 12-03-2009, 12:16 PM

Thanks for the suggestions Ohiogirl81 and LaoTzuMindFu.
I'll check them out

Old 12-06-2009, 04:22 PM

1,869 posts, read 4,028,390 times
I like Rodney Yee. I have a few of his, favorite is AM yoga or AM weekly yoga, something like that, which has 5 20 minute segments.

Old 12-06-2009, 09:51 PM

Thanks stoymonkey. I did see one of his videos in a sporting goods store recently, with a bunch of other videos. I knew forum readers would be able to give me some leads on the good ones

Old 12-07-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karuna95 View Post
Thanks stoymonkey. I did see one of his videos in a sporting goods store recently, with a bunch of other videos. I knew forum readers would be able to give me some leads on the good ones
Something about Rodney Yee's yoga I just do not like. I find him to be extremely boring and non interesting. But then again, Im a guy, I tend to like the yoga where younger prettier women are teaching.

Old 12-07-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Something about Rodney Yee's yoga I just do not like. I find him to be extremely boring and non interesting. But then again, Im a guy, I tend to like the yoga where younger prettier women are teaching.
Hmm... the teacher's gender, or looks had not entered the equation for me. Have only attended classes taught by women, and I'm pretty comfortable with that. Did you think he was boring and uninteresting because he is a man, or because his style is boring and interesting?

While I really like my yoga class, it seems to be more stretching and balance than strength work. I think I'm ready to try some more challenging strength positions, in addition to the stretching and balance. I know next to nothing about the different styles of yoga, or the hot one!

I really like the link you provided (to youtube video), by the way!

Old 12-07-2009, 06:15 PM

1,869 posts, read 4,028,390 times
Karuna, i find rodney yee to be very calming, i can almost tune out his voice but still hear what is going on. make sense?? the videos i have are stretching and balanced based, whatever yoga that is, although i know he has a ton. see if he's on youtube. the hot yoga is bikram yoga, i'd like to try that one too.

Old 12-07-2009, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karuna95 View Post
Hmm... the teacher's gender, or looks had not entered the equation for me. Have only attended classes taught by women, and I'm pretty comfortable with that. Did you think he was boring and uninteresting because he is a man, or because his style is boring and interesting?

While I really like my yoga class, it seems to be more stretching and balance than strength work. I think I'm ready to try some more challenging strength positions, in addition to the stretching and balance. I know next to nothing about the different styles of yoga, or the hot one!

I really like the link you provided (to youtube video), by the way!
I just do not like his style. The only yoga instructors I have ever met that I liked were women.

I practice Vinyasa yoga, also known as warrior yoga. I like it because it flows from one position/asana to another.

This is my usual warm up routine of sun salutations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBc5vquG33U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFwe9...eature=related
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness